• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NateL

NateL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

I have a 2012 FWC Eagle in a 2019 Ford Ranger.  Setup worked great for a year before I noticed that the steel of the bed is starting to tear down by the tailgate. Seems only to be happening in the rear.   Camper tie downs are eye bolts with plate washer underneath.  Has anyone seen this before or any ideas on how to reinforce the bed so it doesn't happen again?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0415.JPEG
  • IMG_0416.JPEG

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

Welcome to the cult.

Bot that doesn't look good.

Does the Ranger have a aluminum bed?

I would think the plates would help that issue.

Hope you find a fix.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

Trucks that I've had have had kind of U-shaped channel pieces running crosswise under the bed, that mount the bed to the frame. Usually a number of them from front to back. I could see where they are by spot welds in the bed floor. I've put the eye bolts through that channel piece. Then you are pulling on something stronger than the bed sheet metal, and the force goes more directly into the frame. You can also use a piece of channel steel to spread the load even more.

I don't know if your truck has channel pieces like that, or if they are in places where you can use them.

Edited by CoreyTrevor, 29 June 2020 - 08:34 PM.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:22 PM

You need to have the bed repaired and welded by a body shop. Then get some plates to mount under truck bed to prevent what happened. Also make sure you do not over tighten.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:55 PM

I'm puzzled by how far away the crack is from the eyebolt.  Spreading the load with bigger backing plates won't fix whatever was causing a crack that far away.... 

#6 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:07 AM

I agree with Vic. Unless that is an end of a piece of channel that is pulling up from the eyebolt, it seems like an odd place to have a crack forming.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#7 NateL

NateL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

The crack is starting right at where the metal turns the corner and propagates our from there. It seems like all that stress is concentrating right there. I don’t think I’ve over tightened the turn buckle.

A local body shop suggested welding the bed back together then sliding in some “S” shaped brackets underneath between the bed support rails and the frame. The eye bolts would then be pulling on the bed metal and frame. I’m not wild about this as the bed will then be shimmed up the thickness of the bracket.

I like the simplicity of a larger washer/plate under the existing camper eyebolt, but I’m not convinced the problem wont come back once the bed is repaired.

#8 NateL

NateL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

Also it appears to be the sheet metal that forms the bed is pulling away from the support channel. The support channel appears to be fine.

#9 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:45 AM

When I first looked at the pictures, I thought that the rear of the bed was somehow higher than it should be, and the dynamic weight of the camper concentrating on that one spot had led to the crack. But when I look closer at the first pic with the camper installed, it looks like the eyebolt is pulling that corner of the bed up. Even if you aren't overtightening, if the area where the bolts is mounted isn't strong enough, the camper could start to pull at that corner over time and vibration. I could also see that happening if you hit a really big pothole or rut, the kind that kind that gives you a headache.

We've had our Hawk in two trucks, a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton and gone over some pretty rough forest roads and 10s of thousands of highway miles and have had no issues like that. We always have had either a stall mat or a purpose built rubber bed mat under the camper, but that wouldn't help if the eyebolt mounting area is weak.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:28 AM

Also it appears to be the sheet metal that forms the bed is pulling away from the support channel. The support channel appears to be fine.

Nate, what's the distance from the eyebolt to the back of the truck bed where the crack started?  

Also, do you have a pic of the underneath area, to show how the bed is pulling away from the support channel?  If it is pulling away, then bolting through the support channel may have real value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users