28 replies to this topic

#1 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

As our planned "social distancing" trip to Montana draws near, last night we learned about a grizzly attacking a US F&WS field biologist yesterday afternoon about 1 mile from our first stop, in Montana's Centennial Valley.  The location is apparently within the Red Rock Lakes NWR. The biologist survived and was released from the hospital after treatment for "severe puncture wounds".  News reports say the individual first saw two grizzlies, apparently juvenile 2-3 year old siblings, from 80-100 yards away and he/she deployed bear spray as one of the bears charged and attacked.  

We were already planning to acquire bear spray X 2 but due to a number of factors will want to go ahead and get some now rather than have to enter retail establishments in WY, ID, or MT prior to our arrival.  If anybody has purchased online and has a recommendation for brands, retailers, etc., we'd enjoy hearing about it.

Foy

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

Buy online.  Your chances of getting 'fresh' stuff is greater.

Bear spray looses potency after a couple of years, so the later the manufacture date the better.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:08 PM

Having ridden my dirt bike all over MT,ID and WY. [live NE OR]..my best advice to you is stop being afraid; have situational awareness but don't succumb to fear.

No buggie men in outdoor stores or Cyrus the Virus laying in wait for you nor is there a bear around every bush... bear spray is touted to stop attacks; wonder what went wrong in the incident you described...not wishing to start a bunch of arguments with my comments just my experience over several decades in the outback...on dirt bikes, on foot and in our Hawk.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

I’d buy on line.  You may never need it, but it’s good insurance.  Can help with two legged bears as well.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

Bear spray does not lose potentecy, what happens is that the propellant can slowly leak from the container and the spray does not get dispersed as well as it should. Check with the manufacturer about how to test - I believe weighing the can and marking the date and weight and re-weighing is recommended by at least one of the makers. You can also recycle old bear spray containers in most towns around the GYA. As for the incident up in the Centennial Valley, the biologist was working on a sage grouse survey, saw two bears, once charged. Bear spray deployed, some injuries. No official report yet, but likely defensive response. Sounded like the bio was in a brushy area and surprised the bears. Outside of the willow riparian areas, most spots in the Red Rocks area are sage/grass, most likely way to surprise a bear there is terrain features, unless you surprise a bear sleeping in the sage! Here is a link:  http://igbconline.org/bear-spray/

Lot's of online sources for buying online.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

Thanks, Taku, for the good link to the bear spray info. A friend who resides in Dillon notified me of the biologist attack last night and I understand the jury is still out on the cause.  I also understand the location is very much in the same neighborhood of a sharp increase in Griz activity just in the fall of last year, Sept-Oct 2019.  After hiking in to a lake also in the Elk Lake area in September 2018, along a narrow path in a ravine for about a half-mile, I decided "no mas" on the hiking in my favorite parts of Montana without bear spray. We'll also be in the Big Hole within a handful of miles of the location at which the first confirmed Griz sighting in decades occurred in 2016.  Seems pretty clear the Gravellies, Beaverheads, Snowcrest, and maybe soon the Pioneers may see some new neighbors moving in.  

If we were prone to succumbing to fear we sure as heck wouldn't be driving +2,500 miles, camper in tow, to do so

Interesting that Mr. Sagebrush's tips included bear spray's effectiveness on human's, too--in the process of lining up campsites for the road trip getting out to Montana, I was advised of some situations in Nebraska where campground owners had recently been overrun by squatters during the overnight hours with groups of individuals arriving between long after dark and 1-2 am.  According to local law enforcement, the groups were believed to be "protesters" traveling between cities and their MO was to overwhelm small facilities, refuse to pay, and vandalize the bathhouses.  So, part of our situational awareness is to be prepared for unwanted and unsolicited interactions with those who may take exception to our North Carolina license plates or well-groomed senior citizen appearance. I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs, fit, and I can take care of myself and my wife, especially with a couple of dispensers of chemical backup at hand.

Thanks again, all.

Foy

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

My bear spray is pretty ancient so I looked at some on Amazon. Interestingly most of the brands can't be shipped to my location. Doesn't say why. Not sure if I can just go over to the sporting goods store and get some. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:01 PM

Foy, I know that trail too, can't say as I blame you. sometimes better to go somewhere else. Craig, likely the potential for a can leaking is why most carriers won't ship it. Had a can go off in the tail boom of a 212 in Alaska. It was in a foam lined ammo can and it got into the cabin readily while in flight. Luckily, we were fairly low level and put down. Had to have another ship come pick us up. Took the mechanic and pilot a couple of days to decontaminate the ship so the pilot felt it was safe to fly. That was a bunch of years ago!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:19 PM

Before using bear spray on 2 legged varments, search for "bear spray vs human pepper spray".

Bear spray is much lower in the pepper concentration  for several reasons. Primarily, bear spray contains a larger volume of the sauce intended to put up a wall of fog to ensure not missing and because the bear's nose is more sensitive and has larger olfactory surfaces. The people spray is for closer application and targets the eyes, mouth in addition to the nose.

I'd include a marine aerosol emergency horn along with the bear spray and kept equally handy to the bear spray.

Make sure if entering Canada that you carry only the certified bear spray.

My $.02

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

Having ridden my dirt bike all over MT,ID and WY. [live NE OR]..my best advice to you is stop being afraid; have situational awareness but don't succumb to fear.

No buggie men in outdoor stores or Cyrus the Virus laying in wait for you nor is there a bear around every bush... bear spray is touted to stop attacks; wonder what went wrong in the incident you described...not wishing to start a bunch of arguments with my comments just my experience over several decades in the outback...on dirt bikes, on foot and in our Hawk.

Thanks,I think you are right on.

We have walked a lot of the trails at Yellowstone and always try to be

aware of things around us.

In our many years of camping we have come into contact with our share of bears.

Not close but within sight of them.

We have had some interesting experiences.

The one most scary was sitting at the camp table at Mendenhall Glacier CG.

having our breakfast. We were both sitting on the same side of the table looking

out into the forest at the lake. Up strolls a black bear coming toward us .

We quietly stood up moved ourselves and the food to the car. The bear luckily

moved back into the woods.We now sit across from each other at the table.

Watching our backs.

Camping is always an adventure.Stay safe out there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users