4 replies to this topic

#1 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

I need to hear Y’alls opinion on this.

I have a Hawk shell coming, furnace only. My plan is to install solar on the roof (have tracks) and install Mppt as well as a BVM. I have just the one AGM battery coming. My thought was to use and monitor that one battery to see how it does until it is done and then go lithium. But lately I am seeing more and more on Solar Generators like this one;

So I’m wondering could I just go this route and not the lithium instal? I wouldn’t need an inverter? And I would love to do the AC thing at some point as well as a fridge.

I know this particular one is new but I’ve got time. :/ 

I also realize that I would be dependent on this one item for the extra power but in one way are the other isn’t that true with everything? Plus it would not be full time use and most trips only 2 days to a week max.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

You could do it but I don't see the advantage unless you really wanted a portable unit. Normally our batteries are out of sight and with this you'd need to keep it taking up space where you could see it. Mounting might be a problem. If you were needing power in different vehicles, maybe a small cabin with no power then it might make sense. Also consider how much you really need AC. I run an ac coffee grinder and a small microwave. Not much else. 

It passes the Will test and thats something!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

These 'battery in a box' things are not really a great solution for a camper, unless (as Craig suggests) you really need them for something else and the camper is a secondary use.  There are several issues - it is an unknown battery and a bunch of unknown parts from an unknown manufacturer in a pretty box.  They don't really provide detailed specifications for any of it (is it a pure sine inverter, what is the low temperature cut off?), and if one small thing fails you are out your whole power system until you can ship it back, which is hard to do as it is hazardous goods.   

Secondly, the batteries in these are almost never 12V batteries.    The one you link to appears to be a 55V battery, Goal Zero is an 11.1V battery.    Nothing runs natively on 55V so every input and output must go through a DC-DC converter, which is a bit inefficient, but also limits how much power you can use and can be reliability issue.   

Finally, it would be tricky to mount/integrate one of these into a camper.   Unless you want it out on display, you would probably end up needing extenders for all the ports. 

Your original idea is a good one - buy individual, quality, components from established suppliers and assemble a system that is specific to your needs.    Depending on your usage you can go lithium later, once you know what you really require.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:02 PM

PS I have no idea why these things are called 'solar generators'?   As far as I can see the base product doesn't even have solar (it is a battery) and it is certainly not a generator.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:09 AM

I think "solar generator" is a marketing term for the uninformed. It's just a battery, various USB and 12v ports, and an inverter in a cool package that can be recharged with pv panels. I built one out of the spare parts from my camper.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users