• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

FWC owner for nearly 2.5 yrs. Started with 2 - Solar Cynergy 120W Flex panels, in parallel, on the roof. Smart 100Ah LFP4 Battery for energy storage. For future panel adds, got a Victron 100/30 Smart controller.
Strongly considered getting a DC-DC charger, but, decided to put $ (“over the top Solar charging system”) into more energy storage. Just a bit later I added a Smart 50Ah LFP4 Battery, same brand & generation, ran both in parallel. For backup W, if needed, I got a portable Dokio 100W Flex Panel. The above panels were budget commodity imports.
During this time I was engineering an electric powered canoe. During the build, LFP4 became the obvious solution (light weight) to run the canoe. I had originally planned to utilize my 50Ah Battery for this purpose. But, Not wanting to mess with my Camper, I found a 2nd Smart 50Ah Battery, related to mine, for a tremendous price. Using it I built a power box for my Canoe with a Renogy Voyager controller. In total, if needed, I can access up to 200 Ah.

Back to panels, my portables. Last month, I found a portable Renogy 50W flex panel, on sale, for my canoe. Hope to troll, cast & run around all day. The Renogy definitely looks like higher quality. Also nice, it’s noticeably smaller than 1/2 the size of the Dokio. The Dokio has been used only once, have not needed it. Using my power box, the Voyager controller lists total incoming A. With my multimeter I can check incoming V. Recently ~1:15pm, I checked the 50W Renogy, & the 100W Dokio. Tested during full Sun, optimum & identical, conditions.
Renogy ... 20.5V x 2.9A = 59.45W ... good
Dokio ... 19.9V x 2.2A = 43.78W ... Ouch!

The Dokio is 2 years old, but used only once, severely under performed. The Renogy over performed. If I can find a sale again I will be tempted to get another 50W panel. I can multitask & repurpose, to power my canoe, or if needed, to run both in parallel as extra W for the Camper. Next up roof panels.

Edited by Stokeme, 03 July 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#2 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:43 AM

2 - Solar Cynergy 120W flex panels, 2 - Sunpower 110W flex panels .
The 2 Cynergy 120 panels are the original roof panels I installed, 2.5 years ago, via an aluminum frame. Except for ~2 months, during my Shell build, they have been completely exposed to the Elements. I took the rack off today for the first time. The panels looked pretty good. Maybe a little cloudy but no peeling or de lamination. The surface coating looks thick & is nicer than the Dokio. The overall solar cell setup looks similar. Some of the zip ties securing the cables had cracked open & need to be replaced. But, the cables, connectors & the panel junction boxes looked ok. The same optimum, full Sun, conditions were used to test the panels. 2 panels were measured in parallel. I believe the Cynergy exterior is PET laminated, expected lifespan is 5 years. These panels were on close out from Solar Blvd. Never tested original output.
Solar Cynergy ... 22.4V x 6.9A = 155W ... They have lost some output, but it’s still been enough, will not swap yet.

The 2 Sunpower 110 panels use their highest rated cells. The panels have a smooth, glossy ETFE lamination. ETFE offers improved panel backing, better light transmission & heat resistance. The expected lifespan is 10 years.The junction boxes are better quality. They are glued with thick white epoxy, not just silicone caulk like the Cynergy. They both use Mc4 connectors on the cables from the junction boxes.The Sunpower cables appear to be, at least, one gauge thicker & are much shorter. These panels were found online, using a coupon code, from SoCal.
Sunpower ... 21.1V x 11.9A = 251W ... Really happy with the output here.

The Cynergy panels have done the job for me so far. I have only used the Dokio flex portable once. My build was planned for low AH usage. LED lights, heater, Dometic compressor fridge, F fans w/Diy vari speed. So far, we have engaged in trips of a week or less, not more than ~10 hours away. We had planned on a long trip later this year. Skipped some shorter ones already for this year. Two long trips tentatively planned for 2021. We are not flying or using hotels, for non FWC trips, anywhere. I used some 2020 vacation money to get some better panels, for the future, after finding some good pricing.

Edited by Stokeme, 08 July 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#3 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

“Into electronics” was never my thing. I find Solar & off grid energy interesting. Pre reinstall test of my roof in parallel, 2 - 120W Solar Cynergy Flex panels.
Latter morning facing East ... 22.9V x 6.6A = 151.14W ... Lower A but higher V, still in the W150’s.

Edited by Stokeme, 07 July 2020 - 03:39 PM.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

Curious to see what you get around noon.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users