#11 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Washington State

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:52 AM

I'm not sure who I'm communicating with about the coleman stove/snow removal tool....Teledork? Pinyon Jay?

Good information about the Coleman stove. We have a different brand camp stove but probably should expect the same results. Bottom line is that is what we are starting with so we'll learn as we go.

I'd like to see your snow squeegee.

#12 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:27 AM

I'm Teledork. I think the Pinyon Jay is a category of membership (based on how many posts or something?) 

#13 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:57 AM

This was interesting reading.  Im expecting my new Grandby in early Oct and also want to take it to Mammoth. I didn't realize the condensation was such an issue.  The good news is we dont need to get it right the first time we can adjust through the winter.  

Ive used one of these little de-humidifiers in a different trailer with some success.  Not sure how much power it pulls but it doesn't seem like much.  

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,234&sr=8-8

I camped at a place near Tom's Place last winter.  Cement outhouses, fire pits and free in winter.  A bit of a drive up to mammoth and back though.  No one there.  It was pretty much my inspiration to buying the FWC.

Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#14 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:04 AM

Lots of ventilation is needed in the winter.  I’d consider two vents, with a fan in the rear vent.  Get something under your mattress to keep it from getting soggy.  We have HyperVent under ours.   You can partially open one of the turnbuckle doors to help get a draft going.  Always wipe down the inside of the pop up before lowering the top.  Your breath will condense there.  Keep as much of your ski gear/clothing outside to minimize the water source.

Consider foam insulation under the floor pack, and under the bed.

As you’re getting propane, I assume that includes a furnace.  If not, I would.  

Another highly recommended option is to get Yakima tracks.

I hope that helps.

Why get the Yakima tracks?  Im actually getting them but wondering why you suggest they help with winter camping?  My plan is to use them to mount solar.

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#15 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:48 AM

I mainly use my camper for winter ski trips around the PNW these days. I love it and it saves us lots of money on hotels and restaurants.

I can't recommend a forced air furnace enough. I can tell you from experience that passive ventilation will not be enough to battle the condensation. The condensation gets fairly rough especially with two people and wet gear and even my electric fan can't always keep up. A little buddy style heater will only make things worse. The furnace allows you to dry out the camper (and make the whole experience 10x better). I often will run it during the day while we are out skiing just to dry out the camper. I do not sleep with the furnace on because the large temperature swings between the furnace cycles makes it hard to sleep. BUT in the morning I turn on the furnace and heat up the camper before I get out of my sleeping bag. Talk about luxury. 

Vents. I use a Maxxair electric fan. It is not as high quality as Fantastic but it has a build in rain hood that allows you to open and use it in the rain. This has been a huge life saver for me playing around in the wet PNW winters. I believe all FWC & ATC campers have the vent openings wired for powered fans.

Just for reference on the power I have one 12v 100 amp hour battery and it will last me about 3 days with out charging. Two batteries will allow you to go much longer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Why get the Yakima tracks?  Im actually getting them but wondering why you suggest they help with winter camping?  My plan is to use them to mount solar.

They really do nothing for winter camping, but are something a lot of people want after the fact.  It’s easier to have it done at the factory. 

I am haunted by waters

#17 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

They really do nothing for winter camping, but are something a lot of people want after the fact.  It’s easier to have it done at the factory. 

good to know!

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

We carry our skis up top with our ancient Yakima ski racks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#19 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

We carry our skis up top with our ancient Yakima ski racks.

X2. I used to keep them in the camper but got tired of tripping over them and the snow melting off of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#20 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

17 years of experience and hundreds of nights FWC-based skiing (lift-served, touring, ski mountaineering and some XC), first a 2000 Hawk, then a 2014 Hawk, mostly in the PNW, almost always self-contained (i.e., no plug-in). Indeed, I do not recall ever plugging in when parked at a lift-served area.  We live in central WA and have done camper-based skiing throughout WA, MT, ID, OR and a few other states. Roughly 50% lift-served, 50% touring/ski mountaineering, December into June most years, sometimes July in big snow years.

Lots of good advice here. My contributions (not complete):

-- I concur that condensation control/moisture management is a major issue. We daily remove thermal liners and wipe canvas with a ShamWow-type cloth. In colder temps, this requires running the furnace to melt frost (i.e., frozen condensation).

-- DIY Reflectix covers for all windows, attached via velcro, significantly reduces furnace use. IME, it's a game changer for winter camping.

-- IME, furnace fan is, by far, the biggest draw on batteries. (Note that our 2014 Hawk has a more energy efficient fan than the one in our 2000 Hawk.) My wife and I (long-time mountaineers and backpackers) seldom run the furnace while sleeping, instead relying on high quality mountaineering down sleeping bags, sometimes zipped together. 

-- I remove the water pump and purge the water lines before each winter, carrying water in jugs during winter

-- We carry a lightweight step ladder and snow rake to remove snow from roof. PNW wet powder is heavy! 

-- Part of our moisture management strategy is use of a hitch-mount luggage carrier, which doubles as a porch. Use a wisk broom to remove snow from boots, etc. before entering camper. We plan to get a stormworthy free-standing tent (tall enough to stand up inside) to place outside the door for use as a "mud room" for putting on ski boots, etc.

-- We carry our skis in a DIY 1000D Cordura bag that we strap on our hitch-mount luggage rack. It slides under the truck when we get into position.

We get out alot. It'd be fun to meet up with some other WTW skiers! 

Edited by Big Steve, 13 September 2020 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users