#1 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

I'm considering a small toyhauler to replace my FWC slide in camper. A toyhauler would be roomier, would keep my bikes and motorcycles enclosed and would allow me to use an SUV instead of having to have a pickup. The option to store motorcycles in it when not in use is also a bonus. My concern is that the sleeping areas are often over the "garage". I don't know about the rest of you, but my motorcycles drip oil and smell of gas when hot. It seems like sleeping above, or even in the same room, as the motorcycles would be stinky. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

No direct experience, have a couple friends who have race vehicle transporters that double as sleeping quarters when at the races. there usually is a slight fuel odor in them although none store the race vehicle in the trailer when at home.

If you're going to tow a trailer why not buy a small enclosed trailer for the bikes and keep the truck & FWC? The truck is very likely to be much, much better tow rig than any SUV on the market.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:14 AM

I have a 12' enclosed trailer I use to transport my quad.  It does smell like gas when I arrive at my destination, especially if I forget to turn off the fuel.  It airs out pretty quickly when I remove the quad and leave the doors open.  I also sleep in it if I'm camping and as long as I've had the doors open and aired it out, it doesn't bother me.  It does bother my wife, who apparently was a bloodhound in a former life.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:24 AM

I have a 14’ enclosed trailer that I store bikes in and sleep in, much like you do. The key: bikes stay outside once I arrive, big thick chain and padlock. BIL has a Weekend Warrior, same protocol. I don’t believe he can keep his bikes inside and lower the beds at the same time so that solves that. I agree with ntsqd, if it were me I’d keep your current camping rig and just tow your trailer.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm also looking at the toyhaulers that have a popout bed up front, which should address the stink issue and the sleeping with motos in the garage/living room.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#6 zuber

zuber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationShedd, OR

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:02 AM

You can do a lot to stop the smell.  Drain the carbs before you load them.  Plug the vent hoses or connect them to a catch bottle.  Put down a tarp for drips.  Open the windows before you stop.

2013 RAM, Four Wheel Camper Shell, KTM's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users