38 replies to this topic

#1 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:51 AM

I have a 2020 F250 6.7 diesel superduty with the camper package.  Installing a lift/level kit up front and leaving the rear alone since it has an extra leaf which is part of the camper package.  

I'm hoping the rear won't sag at all by sliding in a new Hawk weighing 1679 lbs.  It's not getting installed until September.  

Anyone running a similar set up that can advise if you had to do anything to your rear suspension prior to sliding in the new camper?

Edited by bwag, 08 July 2020 - 12:55 AM.

#2 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:22 AM

ACtC-3dJiamrI7QhujzSuBvW4ixSQxmW_CwDRI2i2017 F250 Gas. Stock suspension and camper has never been off.

#3 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:29 AM

ACtC-3dJiamrI7QhujzSuBvW4ixSQxmW_CwDRI2i2017 F250 Gas. Stock suspension and camper has never been off.

Nice set up!  Gas has the bigger payload.   The extra leaf in the rear of my 6.7 which is included in the camper package will help, I'm hoping enough for no sag.

Edited by bwag, 08 July 2020 - 01:47 AM.

#4 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:37 AM

Nice set up!  Gas has the bigger payload, the extra leaf in the rear included in the camper package will help, I'm hoping enough for no sag.

I didn't know that.

I think you will be perfectly fine.

#5 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

The extra leaf doesn't provide lift, it provides less sag under heavier weights.  That may sound counter-intuitive, but what it means is the the overload only comes into play when there is significant weight in the back, causing sag to the point the frame begins to rest on the overload.  You'll still get the same amount of sag or squat in the rear as if there were no overload though because your camper will cause the rear to sag just enough that it doesn't touch the overloads.  There is a couple of inches of sag before the overloads come into play, and you'll still get that amount of sag.  So, you'll notice it, it will sag, you'll squat in the rear compared to the front with a leveling kit.

I fought this same issue.  I put the camper on my F250 and it sat almost level, with the camper in the bed.  I thought I'd like a little more lift in the front, a leveling kit.  It gave me between 2" and 2.5" of lift in the front, which ended up putting me nose high by about 1.5".  Now I need to lift the rear by 1.5" to get it level again. 

Consequences, my lights need to be adjusted driving at night, it looks weird, if I hook up a trailer it really sits nose high.  If I wanted it level with stock sized tires, and were to do it over again I'd definitely not have lifted the front at all.  It rode "right" and with the stock F250 suspension with the camper installed.  I want a little lift though for my taller tires, so lifting the rear is probably exactly where I want it to be, with what I will end up with.

BTW, I'm using all Old Man Emu suspension parts to lift it, an advertised 2" lift.

Edited by SuperDutyFWC, 08 July 2020 - 03:48 PM.

#6 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

The extra leaf doesn't provide lift, it provides less sag under heavier weights.  That may sound counter-intuitive, but what it means is the the overload only comes into play when there is significant weight in the back, causing sag to the point the frame begins to rest on the overload.  You'll still get the same amount of sag or squat in the rear as if there were no overload.

I fought this same issue.  I put the camper on my F250 and it sat almost level, with the camper in the bed.  I thought I'd like a little more lift in the front, a leveling kit.  It gave me between 2" and 2.5" of lift in the front, which ended up putting me nose high by about 1.5".  Now I need to lift the rear by 1.5" to get it level again. 

Consequences, my lights need to be adjusted driving at night, it looks weird, if I hook up a trailer it really sits nose high.  If I wanted it level with stock sized tires, and were to do it over again I'd definitely not have lifted the front at all.  It rode "right" and with the stock F250 suspension with the camper installed.  I want a little lift though for my taller tires, so lifting the rear is probably exactly where I want it to be, with what I will end up with.

BTW, I'm using all Old Man Emu suspension parts to lift it, an advertised 2" lift.

Thanks for the response.  That's the way I understood the rear springs added in the camper package, no lift just help with the load.  I'm doing a carli 2.5  commuter lift in front, I spoke with the Carli rep and he said I could consider 3-4 inch block in the rear as the commuter lift will bring it in his words "dead nuts level".  I'm going to run 35" tires so I wanted the lift.  

I'm also going to ask the lift shop if they can leave a little rake in also going to check to see if they have blocks.  I've also heard super springs are an option.  

Are you running a Hawk in your super duty and is it a diesel with the camper package?  

Edited by bwag, 08 July 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#7 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

You know what I forgot all about the rear block, so my first post was a little off-base.  Sorry.  I have an F350 block in the rear, meaning a 4" block in the rear (stock is 2") and it still squats with the Hawk.

More specifically, details:  F250 4x4 crew cab with camper package, gas.  I added F350 rear blocks and 2" springs in the front.  So, the way it really works out is I have a 2" lift front and rear, over the stock suspension.  BTW, there is more than enough room for 35" tires, and I'll probably go to 37" tires next.

However, loaded with the Hawk, it squats in the rear by 1.5".  I measured fender to hub and it's 1.5".  I'm installing 2" springs, with the 4" F350 rear blocks and hope it'll sit almost level, just a little rake so that when I pull my boat or put my motorcycle on the rear hitch carrier that it'll sit level.

With the Hawk loaded, right now, the frame "almost" rests on the overloads, and it does hit the overloads when I'm going over any sort of bump, driveway approach, or off road.

Edited by SuperDutyFWC, 08 July 2020 - 04:34 PM.

#8 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

SuperdutyFWC, what 2" springs are you looking at?  I called CJC offroad, they do a lot of installs including some with four wheel campers, guy on the phone basically said my best option would be air bags since I'm not leaving the camper on full time.  He also said no matter what, I'm going to get some sagging in the back if only springs/blocks are used which I understand, I don't think I was clear enough with him as to how much in terms of inches/blocks or springs I would need to counter that.  

He seemed against going the spring/block route to compensate for sag.  In his words the ride quality of my truck would be the same with the airbags installed and no camper on vs putting more spring/block in which would affect ride quality with no camper in the bed.  

I had airbags on my Tacoma, I just didn't like how much that truck swayed and felt soft however it was way overloaded compared to what my new set up will be.  So maybe airbags wouldn't be as bad?  

#9 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

I bought Old Man Emu (OME) components.  In my opinion they are the best suspension products, mass produced "kit", in the world.  They (used to) only offer a 2" lift, max (for the US-market they've added taller lifts for certain vehicles), because in Australia your vehicle would be considered "off road only" if it was lifted more than 2".  So, they produce the highest quality parts, with just about the least amount of lift.  They manufacture shocks that work with the springs to provide the absolute best ride of any suspension company.  Also, they will ask whether you have a medium load or heavy load because their springs are manufactured depending on whether you're driving a next-to-stock vehicle, or an overlanding rig.  They are not a piece-meal kind of off the shelf, what works for one works for all, kind of company.  Yeah, I think pretty highly of them.

So, I purchased stock F350 blocks.  Basically, my F250 has F350 suspension.  I then added, or will add, OME suspension.  I've got the front springs and shocks installed and will install the rear leafs and shocks when I've got a free weekend.

Airbags and springs are two different things, designed for two different outcomes.  I think the shop you called gave you some insufficient advice.  Springs don't worse the ride, necessarily.  It's just that most US buyers are buying crappy aftermarket springs designed solely for ride height and not ride quality.  A good spring and shock combo increase ride quality, and may provide additional height.  He probably sells "lift" kits.

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

bwag

We see a lot of trucks come through here.

I have seen a lot of lifted trucks with campers on them.

Seems like the lifted trucks also sag (squat) more with a camper on, than a truck with stock ride height.

A fully loaded Hawk, on a stock Ford F-250, CrewCab, Short Bed Diesel will most likely squat.

Especially if you lift the front.

Adding set of Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags might be a good idea to keep the truck level and looking good when the camper is on.

We bagged all of our trucks here, even the lifted trucks. Has been working out great.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 08 July 2020 - 07:32 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users