• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:39 AM

I'll start by saying even thou I planned this trip last November I still forgot my camera. I took Friday off so I could get the camper ready for the trip. I had bought a Jeep Wrangler, tow bar and all the "stuff" to flat tow. Of course if every thing went as planned what fun would that be! As I was assembling the tow bar I broke one of the bolts on the receiver . Well I really didn't need a Jeep to drive around Death Valley any way, I 've got the Dodge. So I stocked the camper and pre cooled the refer.
The wife and I left the Happy Valley on Saturday morning and arrived in DV that afternoon. On paper Sunset Campground looks great. But in reality it's a parking lot. Lots of motor homes and 5th wheels. Talked to some nice folks but the generators can run until 9:PM. We got up early and checked out the nearby "Texas Springs Campground" much nicer and no generators allowed.

On Sunday we drove to Scotty's Castle and did the under ground tour. Pretty neat. We then went to the nearby Uhebehe Crater. More neat stuff. By then it was getting late so back to camp. I notice that everything in DV is about 30 miles away from everything else. You can spend a week there and still have things to see. We arrived back at camp just in time for Cocktail Hour. More drudgery. Had to cut a lime and set the olives out. Later that night a strong wind came up and started rocking the camper pretty good. The wife got scared so I thought I would lower the top to keep her happy.Well picture this: The wind is blowing from the back of the camper. So every time I lower the roof the wind would gust and lift the top back up! The wife is hanging on to the lift boards trying to keep the roof down. The wind is billowing the canvas out and I'm running around trying to tuck it in. A real Keystone Cops moment. Oh yes to add just the right touch, It's raining.I can laugh now.

On Monday we went to Bad Water and took a ranger tour out on to the salt flats. The Ranger knew his geology and had a interesting talk. I learned all kinds of new things about DV geology. From there we drove to "Artiste Pallet" a very colorful area. Then back to camp for a nap before the hike to the bar at Furnace Creek Ranch.

On Tuesday we broke camp and left civilization and headed back to Simi Valley

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:25 AM

Hi Simimike,

Sounds like we covered much of the same ground over the weekend in Death Valley, yet somehow missed each other. Oh well. Good info about Sunset and Texas Springs campgrounds. Generators can certainly ruin an otherwise nice place. They were allowed to run at Stovepipe Wells, but only until 7:00 pm.

You mentioned forgetting your camera. When I was growing up, it became a family joke that my father would always forget something on a trip. His boots on a backpack trip, the sleeping bags, never minor stuff. In order to overcome the bad genes being passed on, I keep a packing list on the computer that I print off before each trip and use as a checklist. It is very detailed and helps a lot. Might be worth starting your own.

I also noticed your mentioning the work involved with the trip. You assembled the tow bar, stocked the camper, cut the limes and set out the olives. And most importantly, you were the one that had to go out in the wind and rain when your wife was the one bothered by the weather. Why is it we guys seem to work harder on vacation while are wives are the ones relaxing???:rolleyes:

Seriously though, we had those winds also. We travel with the camper legs and put them down at night. You can see this in the photo in my Death Valley report. This keeps the truck from moving in wind and even when I'm walking around cooking or doing the dishes (again, its always the guys working). Anyway, you still get the noise as the canvas flaps around, but otherwise the truck is steady. Don't know if you have the legs, but we feel it is worth bringing them along.

Thanks for the report. I agree with you that a week is not enough time to do everything in Death Valley. Maybe we will meet up someday on a return trip.

Ted

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:13 AM

Ted, Thanks for the tips. I don't know how we could have missed each other, there is only one road for the length of the valley. I did meet a guy from Nevada with a FWC on his Taco. We talked a little bit, mostly about how much we like our campers.
I removed my jacks for a trip I took to Utah and Colorado. I had read some horror stories about the jacks catching on stumps or rocks and ripping off the corner of the camper. hind sight being 20/20 I should have left them on. The dirt roads I traveled where not that bad. I will be putting them back on. They would have been real handy to have had when my turnbuckles loosened and the camper shifted in the bed. also when the wind blows. You won't be seeing me doing the "canvas dance" around the camper again.

Back to Death Valley. I plan on going back every winter until I've explored all the sea level sights and as the weather warms, moving up the elevations. Maybe we can get together this summer. I want to visit Lassen State park. I think it is a state park, the one that is a mini Yellowstone with the geysers and mud pots. This wandering the west can take some time.

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

Geez, your water pump, turn buckles loosening, broken bolts on the receiver... when does the good part start?

You are right about that one road. We saw two other FWC in DV. One was a white T100 with Idaho plates and a shell model camper. All I saw of the other was a red truck with something attached to the back of the camper. Also saw one on Hway 395 near Bridgeport on 2/19 at a gas station. Wonder if that was Sam on his shakedown cruise (see the thread by davinski "New to forum with new/used Hawk shell"). Plus the couple we met in Mammoth. "I see Four Wheel Campers, they're everywhere!":D

As to Lassen, we would be very interested in doing that. It is only a half day drive for us but we haven't been there in years. We are doing a road trip to Yellowstone the last week of May and the first week of June. If you come up with some dates for doing Lassen outside of those, we would certainly try caravaning again.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Lassen Volcanic National Park. Been there many times. My dad grew up in that area. Climbed Mt.Lassen many times. Don't forget to see the subway cave, bumpass hell, and umm that other volcano where you can see the painted dunes. Some real easy backpacking there to if you're into that.

#6 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hmm Ted,

Very observant of you. I believe that I may have been the white T100 (although its really a Tundra but who can tell), with a shell and Potato Land plates. I believe we crossed paths in a campground on the northern end of the park? We cruised thru but ended up camping out past Ubehebe for a couple of nites. Had the desert to ourselves! It always takes us Idahoans abit of time to get used to people again, and they us!:D
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users