12 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

Yesterday, in my car.  1008 miles according to my odometer, and the time came out very close to the Maps estimate of 16 hours.

Drive_20200715.jpg

I drove through a great diversity of desert terrain.  I saw a roadrunner in the Mojave and a pronghorn in the Great Basin of central Nevada and a coyote in the Great Basin of southeast Oregon.  

No, I guess this isn't a proper trip report -- not a proper trip:P  No camping and not done with my camper.  But I wanted to document it nevertheless.

Ever since I drove ~940 miles in a day, driving home from central Wyoming after the 2017 total solar eclipse, I thought that 1000 miles in a day would be a nice round number to hit.  Yesterday the opportunity presented itself. Now my quest is complete. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, perhaps. Did you compensate for the effect of  tire wear on your odometer?  :P

A one % error could put you below that milestone.  Better run it again with the camper to be sure.

I used to run long days but these days staying awake and safe for that long would be a challenge.

1008 miles without smelling wood smoke.  Quite a sacrifice, I'd say.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,567 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Mark, you’re a brave man...  and slightly crazy.   I’d fight a man all day long before doing that.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

You are a brave man and I quest I'd never want to duplicate - but I have, many times, in a far distant life I no longer remember. Chalk it up on the record books and enjoy. Nice route through the middle of Nevada, by the way.  :) 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:37 PM

Wow Mark that's a good drive.

Like Ski in a "past "life I also made 2 super long day trips.

Bermmerton Wa to Salinas Ca.about 14 hours.

In a brand new, almost the first one on the road ,1967 Mustang GT.

That's when I5 was just being built through Ca but finished

through Oregon.

Did you hit DV at the 127* temp yesterday?

I bet it's nice to be home.

Thanks for the report.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

My only regret was that I wasted all those decades as a research chemical engineer... when my true calling was obviously long-haul OTR trucker.

.................................................................................

Frank, I didn't really go through Death Valley -- just skirted the eastern fringe on 127.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

Mark maybe in a past life you were a OTR trucker.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 lmwilco1

lmwilco1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTempe Arizona

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:18 PM

Ironman for sure, I find about 600 miles is as much as I want to drive in a day.

#9 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

I did sort of the motorcycle equivalent back in the day, a little under 500 miles from Half Moon Bay to a tiny town called Orovada in northern Nevada on a '79 Harley Low Rider with no windshield or helmet. I was headed home to Idaho after a month of wandering around Utah, Arizona and southern California on the bike.

I thought I was hallucinating towards the end of the ride when I saw a bunch of little green lights floating above the road in the dark coming towards me. It was only at the last moment that I realized they were coyotes in the middle of the road. I somehow managed to dodge through them without hitting one.

A short time later I arrived at my buddy’s father-in-law’s ranch where I had arranged to crash for the night. He was waiting for me when I pulled up holding a bottle of Black Berry Brandy and his Big ‘Ol ranchers paw extended out for a hand shake.

At that point I could barely open my hand from gripping the throttle all day, let alone give a good showing for myself with a firm handshake, so I just stuck out my arm and gritted my teeth while he crushed my hand like a limp rag.

The long pull on the Black Berry Brandy was heaven after that day.

#10 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

An epic drive for sure. Hopefully you were able to maximize the daylight hours to truly take in all the surroundings had to offer. At least what you could take in while driving.

Congratulations.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users