11 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Getting ready for a 5-day trip near the Cascade Range which will include:

- Buck Lakes Wilderness (northern end of Sierra Range)

- Lassen Volcanic National Park

- Ahjumawi Lava Springs State Park

- McArthur Burney Falls State Park.

Lassen and Burney Falls are pretty straightforward tourist areas but I'm interested in any feedback on Bucks Lake Wilderness and Ahjumawi.   We plan to day hike into Bucks Lake Wilderness from the west side where we will dry camp along forest service roads.   We plan to enter Ahjumawi via our tandem kayak from the boat launch area.   Any good hiking trail to try or to avoid?  Thanks

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

Dave, reach out to Smoke.   That’s in his general area.

I would really appreciate your feedback on Ahjumawi.  I’ve heard of it for years, but never known anyone who had boated it.  What kayak do you have?

I am haunted by waters

#3 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:47 PM

What kayak do you have?

I have an Old Town Loon 138T.  At 13'-8" kinda tight for two but I often use it solo when I go bowhunting.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

Dave, thanks!

I am haunted by waters

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

Is Burney Falls open for camping?

Do you have a reservation?

We have stayed there a few years back site #36 close to the canyon.

Enjoy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:03 AM

Is Burney Falls open for camping?

Do you have a reservation?

We have stayed there a few years back site #36 close to the canyon.

Enjoy.

Frank

I don't know if the State Park is open for camping; however we plan to disperse camp anyway on nearby forest service lands to avoid too much close contact.  Should be plenty of options I hope.

#7 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:55 AM

Ahjumawi is fun paddling. I stayed at the boat-in campground when I was there years ago. The lake is behind the county fairgrounds so they may allow vehicle camping. Big springs well up from the NW side of the lake which is fun to paddle through. Otherwise not much to do. Paddle early or late in the day. It will be hot!

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

Don't know when you are planning to head here but Make sure you check with both Calfire and Lassen, Plumas and Humbolt-Toiyabe and ModocNF -NF Incident Command web site because we have a couple of new fires just  west of Susanville (hog flat) and in Big Valley. There are also some near by fires going in Nevada. All black to the west with lots of toxic smoke here in Susanville since last night and does not appear to be clearing up. Keep checking web sites for more data but temps here are in the high 90's, very windy /red flag weather and very dry here! Maybe it is time to charge up my Pop Campers batteries and the usual get away gear ! Kayaking up on the AHJ is neat but check with State Park first. As a side note many of us in this area just got non-renewal notices from our home insurance co's ---they just reclassified a big bunch of Susanville as in a hazard wild land  fire area-great timing (2nd time for me and I live in town) and a part of western living!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 19 July 2020 - 05:03 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:26 AM

What is your favorite source for fire news? Yubanet has really gone downhill this year.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

We use USFS Incident Command Web (and related forest /BLM nets and related facebook sites, CalFire and local and Reno radio and tv stations and web/facebook sites (Susanvillestuff.com, Lassennews.com, KSUE Radio).  They just closed HW 36 and 44 at Eagle Lake Road west of town (a mile or outside of town) and evacuated Eagle Lake Estates  last night. Smoke real bad here and getting my emergency gear ready to put my truck(there are no alerts here to evacuate but I live on the west end of town and it is better  to be safe than sorry .  Fire went from 200 acres to 5000 acres Sunday and  last night!

Supposed to hit  between 98-100 here today with high winds going the wrong way and we have lot's of fire support coming into town at a rapid rate. Radio just said they are gearing up for a stand outside of the Estates area. If someone wants to move this fire info to another thread -please do and I'll keep you posted on what is happening here in old Susanville. Okay, Swap shop just came on the radio so all must be well now. :D !  Nothing else to do but listen to the radio and the tankers as they fly over to bomb the fire.  Again no alerts other than stay indoors here!

Smoke

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 20 July 2020 - 03:23 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users