#1 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

I've got a 2000 F250 diesel shortbed with a FWC camper. The camper sticks out about 12" beyond the bed of the truck, just enough that I can't use a rear motorcycle hitch carrier/mototote without some sort of extension. The extension adds wobble and reduces carrying capacity enough that it doesn't look like it's a good idea.

I currently have a front receiver hitch that comes out behind the license plate of the truck. This is so high that my motorcycle on my mototote, and even bikes on a bike rack, are right at eye level, so too high to safely drive. To lower the height, I have to use an extension/drop system, again adding wobble and reducing carrying capacity.

I have an option to remove my existing front hitch and install one that mounts under the frame, so it's about 10" lower. Before spending the time and money on this option, I thought I'd see how well it works for others.

My questions:

1. has anyone used a front hitch for a motorcycle and if so, what problems do you run into? The bike I intend to carry is a CRF230l which weighs about 250lbs. Does this much weight on the front of the truck cause handling problems?

2. Has anyone used an extension/drop hitch system to carry a motorcycle or item of similar weight, and were there any concerns or problems?

3. Do you use extra headlights and turn signals up front, since the motorcycle is likely to block to these?

Thanks for any input!

Attached Thumbnails

• small F250 with camper and bikes.jpg

Edited by hpcbmw, 20 July 2020 - 03:26 PM.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

I carry 2 mountain bikes on a modified bike rack mounted to the brush guard. works very well. Headlights shine through the spokes with no appreciable degradation in the amount of light that hits the road. Total weight(bikes and bike rack) is probably around 90-100 lbs.and the brush guard is over 200 lbs. Truck(F250 S/C 6.5 bed) drives fine tire wear is no different than before when I carried the bikes on a rear hitch rack. You wil want to up your front tire pressure should you opt for the front mount.

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:40 AM

I have a Dodge RAM and I can't buy a front receiver.  It would affect the system that controls the airbag deployment and I don't think any company wants to take on the liability.  I could have something fabricated, but I prefer my airbags deploy when they are suppose to.

#4 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:33 AM

I had a 2004 F250 with a front mount and carried a 2004 CRF230.  I used a Joe hauler as the mount.  My bottom line is it was fine.  Probably wouldn't want to do much off roading since there was plenty of play in the Joe hauler I used.  I didn't notice any handling issues nor issues with my lights. Im not sure I used it at night WRT blocking my headlights so that might be an issue.  I had a 4" lift with 35" tires.  

My one take away that has stuck with me.  I used to only use a single strap from each handlebar down to the Joe Hauler.  I had one break - happily on the outboard side.  The bike fell to my hood and dented it but did not fall under the truck to be jammed between the pavement and my truck bits.  Got my blood pumping when I realized what happened and how it could have fallen he other way!  Now I double on straps.  

Anyway, the hitch in front was useful for the Joe hauler and also (mostly) useful as a 2" receiver fro my 9000 lb winch.  

Good luck,   Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:52 AM

Howdy

We fabbed a carrier for the rear for our  XL600R  (Big Red Pig) going to BAJA.

I went ahead and did it right the first time....two receiver throats welded to the truck and spaced about at the bike axles.

A simple aluminum channel rode on 1/4 wall 2" square tubing from each receiver.

I strapped from the handle bars to hold it steady and then cinched straight down from the lower frame and used a light dedicated strap at each wheel.

Very easy to build and very trustworthy to use.....also carried a fuel jerry can holder on each strut....loaded the cans when we got into south Baja where fuel was (back then) more of an issue for the truck.

David Graves   

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:22 PM

IIRC, that year of SDs have leaf springs up front. I think you will have fewer steering issues compared to the coil versions. Those trucks can be used with snowplows so weight shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve seen front mounted motorcycles all over Baja so it can be done. Although there are hitch pins which can virtually eliminate any wobble, I like a mod to DavidGrave’s approach...two receiver tubes installed up front instead of out back.

Following for your eventual solution. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

I have installed front receivers on both my 2015 Ram 2500 and my 2018 Ram 3500. I’ve never had a problem carrying two bikes up front and that includes many trips across the country. No problem with the front lights shinning through. The downside is poor gas mileage, it does really interrupt the airflow, but doesn’t create any additional cabin noise. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

I have a front receiver hitch I use for moving equipment around (camper on a trailer too)... I also have a bicycle rack that I put there and it is great as it does not block the camper door. I have electric  e-bikes that the hitch easily supports. I can't imagine why you couldn't mount a small motorcycle there.... yes it will perhaps block some of the headights... maybe not. I haven't noticed a significant gas mileage problem.

Edited by buckland, 22 July 2020 - 11:23 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

Where are the pics!!! Somebody must have pics... I am also interested in this :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#10 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:59 AM

Thanks for the input. On another forum, it was suggested to try a drop receiver on the front, which I think I will try. If i was going to use this for a big trip, I agree that the dual receiver tubes would be ideal, but I don't expect to use it that often. I'll post pics when I try it out.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users