• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hexclimber

hexclimber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a FWC slide-in truck and putting in on a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the V6. I anticipate our total payload will be somewhere north of 2000 lbs, and I am wondering if anyone has direct experience with this vehicle. Is the V6 adequate, or should I go with the 5.7L Hemi. Some of our travels would include steep grades at altitude.

We tend to keep our vehicles for 20 years, and I don't want any regrets. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry (in torrid Tucson, AZ)

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

Go bigger motor.

Consider other trucks too.

Harder to do rear suspension upgrades on the RAM 1500 trucks with rear coil springs.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 hexclimber

hexclimber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

Go bigger motor.

Consider other trucks too.

Harder to do rear suspension upgrades on the RAM 1500 trucks with rear coil springs.

Thanks, Stan. 1) Do you have this engine/weight combo? 2) Salesperson is telling me I can add a "helper spring" to beef up the suspension. Best, Jerry

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

If buying a new truck, it would make sense (to me) to get the right truck for the intended use, rather than installing "helper" springs.  Smaller motors get better mileage with no load.  Put the camper on it and go up steep hills at altitude and the MPG difference disappears.

Lots of threads here on payload (overload) and potential workarounds.  If you want a small camper/truck, then go search those out.  Since you are already going with the full size pickup, I would recommend at least a 2500HD or even better, a 3500.  

Vic

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:25 PM

Thanks, Stan. 1) Do you have this engine/weight combo? 2) Salesperson is telling me I can add a "helper spring" to beef up the suspension. Best, Jerry

For the last many years, all Dodge RAM 1500 trucks have a Rear Coil Spring Suspension (there are no leaf springs). Some of the RAM 1500's have an Air Ride System (No leaf springs, No coil springs, Only air bags -- less than ideal for carrying a camper). 99% of the newer RAM 1500's on the market today have a 4 coil suspension (front & rear coil springs). Firestone used to offer and sell something called "Coil-Rite Air Bags". Tall & skinny air bags that were installed inside of the steel coil springs & inflatable. I don't see that they are available any longer on their website. Now it looks like an Air Bag Kit that replaced the coil springs. With this, your entire truck & camper are riding on 2 air bags in the rear (no bueno in my opinion).  I like the trucks with a full leaf pack carrying the weight of the truck & camper. You can add rear leafs and add a set of air bags, in addition to having the rear leaf springs carrying most of the weight. Hope this helps.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 hexclimber

hexclimber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

Thanks again, Stan. I'm now looking at the F-150 with the Heavy Duty Suspension package. I think this will meet the need. What do you think?

Best,

Jerry

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

I carried a hawk on a first gen Tundra with the 4.0 six for 3 years. I now have it on a F250 with the 6.2 gas motor. Much better setup and no appreciable difference(less than 1 mpg) in fuel mileage. Smaller motors work harder. F150 with payload package will work if you keep gear to a minimum. 

#8 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

OK. Some good things about the RAM with the 3.6 Pentastar. First, no FWC/ATC yet, but i bought it for that purpose. The reasons for a RAM with the 3.6 Pentastar is superior gas mileage, payload (1,700lbs), ride, good clearance(10.6”), good water fording(30”), and low Total Cost of Ownership over time. When I was shopping, I was comparing to the Tacoma, and the RAM with the 3.6 beat the Tacoma in every one of those categories - by a lot. (Yes I would like an Alaskan on a 1ton service bed, but not in the cards now.)
The big key to the 3.6 performance ride is that fantastic 8-speed transmission with multiple overdrives. The engine feels “eager”. Performance:
Empty summer 55mph roads over 30mpg over 6 hour trip - perfect conditions (all mpg hand calculated).
Camping equipment 65-70mph 4,000 miles camping MI through boon docking AZ desert, 24mpg average entire trip.
Towing enclosed trailer with combined load total of 7,058lbs (total GCW 12,160) 1300 miles 14.6mpg (those guys with the big engined trucks don’t get 14.6mpg empty). 1500 lbs payload lowered it 2 inches. I was so impressed - the trailer and load barely felt like it was there. That transmission is just wonderful. No hunting for a gear - never. Trans temp never rose. Granted, max elevation was only 2,200 feet.
-If you have the money for a truck with more payload, you will have a LOT more camper options with no thought about limits (beware - some HD truck setups do NOT have much payload, but they can tow a lot).
-If you are doing heavy duty off road travel that needs special suspension, other trucks probably have better options.
-If you travel anywhere in the world other than US and Canada, Toyota has most service. In Canada, Ford has the most service.

#9 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:30 PM

Newer base RAMs 3.6 Pentastars have up to 2,300lb payload. What’s that like 1,000lbs more than a Tacoma!?

#10 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:16 PM

Another reason I bought the RAM 3.6 over the Tacoma is the cabin room. The RAM can hold 6 people, and I can sleep on the back seat camping - bit diagonal, but it works nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users