34 replies to this topic

#1 solinski

solinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationredding,ca.

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:25 AM

Greetings all! I didn't want to start a new topic but I could not locate any discussion on the soft window storm seal difference between Four Wheel and All Terrain. I'm seriously considering  a new Bobcat. The Bobcat soft side windows require exterior storm covers. I recently sold a 2005 Four Wheel Eagle that did  not need the exterior soft side window  covers and I really liked the idea of not having to access and remove the exterior window storm covers. So far this exterior window covering is the only reason I still consider buying a Four Wheel instead of an All Terrain. Please chime in with your opinion on the All terrain exterior mounted storm covers vs. Four Wheel non exterior covers. I find the All Terrain Bobcat is exactly what I want except for the exterior access soft side storm covers. My camping season is all year but predominantly fall and winter.

Thanks for your input! Solinski

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:52 AM

The exterior storm flaps are removable. We travel without them attached but have them available if the weather gets really nasty. The storm flaps velcro into place. Over the many years we have been in lots of nasty weather. Thus far, we have not used them, nor have we had any water come through to the interior.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 JeffWright

JeffWright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:08 AM

I’d look at them as a bonus. I think if you remove them they pretty much the same window setup
As a FWC. I have a Bobcat and rarely use them. When I’ve camped in the winter they’ve been super valuable keeping the snow from sticking to the mesh.

#4 solinski

solinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationredding,ca.

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:17 AM

hi Jeff and 3 pin.I certainly appreciate  your input. Your comments help put my mind at rest concerning the storm covers.Both of you being skiers helps since you have experienced heavy weather. I hope to visit Marty at All Terrain very soon.  Six Pac T100 in the photo is also sold so I am camper-less. I sure miss the comfort of a truck camper. Winter camping in a Toyota 4 runner was not fun last ski season.

Solinski

#5 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:23 PM

a little late to the party as usual, but i rarely use all of my windows, mostly because of time. When i do i just get the step ladder i use for bed and do a little climbing to get mine folded up. Most of the time it is just the one by the  door. Having had interior ones and exterior ones, i feel the slight hassle of removal is worth the added protection to the windows themselves.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#6 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

I also have a bobcat camper, I carry my storm flaps rolled up under the bench seat but have yet been in weather that I felt that I needed to use them. I’ve only camped in the summer so far though in the northwest. This is my second year of having my Bobcat camper and I can not say enough about it. Awesome camper.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:48 PM

My 2009 Bobcat has the attached storm flaps.I like them.They aren't a problem for me.

I use them for sun/rain shade.Find them very useful. Have PVC framework to hold them out from the window.

Framework stays with the flap and the top folds down over them.

There are photos on my blog of the flaps.Under the Yellowstone and Denali posts.

The new ATC campers I think come with unattached flaps that you can just put in place if needed.

As for the attached ones you can just keep them in the rolled up position.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 solinski

solinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationredding,ca.

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:14 AM

hi Wango,Casa,and Pan. I appreciate your input on storm covers and comments on overall satisfaction with the Bobcat!

solinski

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:55 AM

I have an ATC Puma with the removable flaps.  Without the flaps, the windows leak.  Had a FWC Hawk before this one, no leaks. I bought and carry a ladder now to be able to put the flaps on when it rains.  

My camper appears to be a bit odd though, as others report no leakage.  See my build thread for more details.

#10 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:32 AM

I leave the flaps on but rigged up some PVC pipe to turn them into window awnings.  Top portion in place with velcro and bottom portion held outward with pvc pipe and velcro.  

IMG_6971-X3.jpg

Edited by Alvis, 14 August 2020 - 03:51 AM.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users