#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 7,532 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

Nice way to keep flaps out from camper.

That style is similar to the way I made mine.

As said before I find them very useful.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

Alvis & CERT: pretty slick setup!

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 14 August 2020 - 05:34 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#13 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Over a year ago, Marty mentioned that they were switching to clear external flaps. I don’t know if that came to pass, but that would solve one of my biggest peeves about them. Too dark with them on and no airflow. But I learned the hard way, they are completely necessary in a rain storm. Or always pop up again after rain to dry out thoroughly. ALWAYS!
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#14 solinski

solinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationredding,ca.

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

Over a year ago, Marty mentioned that they were switching to clear external flaps. I don’t know if that came to pass, but that would solve one of my biggest peeves about them. Too dark with them on and no airflow. But I learned the hard way, they are completely necessary in a rain storm. Or always pop up again after rain to dry out thoroughly. ALWAYS!

Hi Bseek, I definitely agree with your storm flap peeve.The exterior storm flaps on All Terrain Bobcat are the major reason I will probably buy a FWC Fleet. I don't want to go outside when a snow storm or rain is brewing and  install the flaps.Most of my camping is fall and winter.  Am I lazy? yes! Am I old? yes! I find that laying in bed and watching the storm is an integral part of my ski or hiking trips. Storm flaps on and no view.

solinski

#15 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:10 PM

Solinski- I was a pretty fair weather traveler, but I really liked the ability to put them on if needed (rarely) and have them off when I didn’t. The ATC system allows you to control ventilation and light without going outside if the storm flaps are off. I loved falling asleep with the breeze on my face and sounds of the night all around.

I am short (5’4”) and was still able to get them up with just a step stool if I did it before popping all the way up.

I don’t have any experience with FWC, but the after sale service I got from ATC was so superb that I wouldn’t ever consider going with anyone else. And I loved being able to configure exactly what I wanted them to build instead of cookie cutter. But to each their own.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

I have an older Eagle and had to have the vinyl replaced a few years ago.  ATC did it and they did a great, quick job.  The issue we have is the same as others mentioned.  When it's raining or going to rain, you have to go out and put them on.  We don't leave them on due to darkness and air flow.  I will say that we have had some leaks w/o them on and I think it was either a) coming in on the seams or B) water building up at the base of the plastic windows.  So, I've sealed the seams but we haven't been in rain yet again so don't know if that was/is the issue.  I'd say I'm not overly happy with the external flaps and hate having to go out and put them on when it's raining and I didn't plan ahead.  

#17 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:24 PM

I leave the flaps on but rigged up some PVC pipe to turn them into window awnings.  Top portion in place with velcro and bottom portion held outward with pvc pipe and velcro.  

IMG_6971-X3.jpg

That looks like something I can do! 

I just got my Bobcat earlier this year. I currently have the outside flaps off and have been out in some torrential rain. No leakage. The flaps were on for my three trips in February. While I'd like to have the light I have the liner up over the windows anyway for warmth.  

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Get's a "charge" out of camping!

• Members
  • 3,588 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:54 PM

That looks like something I can do! 

I just got my Bobcat earlier this year. I currently have the outside flaps off and have been out in some torrential rain. No leakage. The flaps were on for my three trips in February. While I'd like to have the light I have the liner up over the windows anyway for warmth.  

That is so weird that some leak and others do not.  If you can, please post pictures of your window seams/folds.  I posted mine in my build thread starting at post #206.   There are FWC Hawk pics in post #202

https://www.wanderth...-21#entry235036

Edited by Vic Harder, 16 August 2020 - 11:57 PM.

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 7,532 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

I had put some sealant on one of my Bobcat windows.

It seems the stitch holes were not as tight as others.

Is that the problem some are having.

I have flaps attached so it doesn't matter.

I only noticed them as sun shone through them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:44 AM

We keep our storm flaps on all the time and just roll them up after popping the roof. The velcro holds them in place. Takes less than 5 minutes with the step stool we use at the camper door. If bad weather threatens, we just roll them down- takes even less time than rolling them up. We like the secure covering in heavy storms which we get regularly around here.

IMG_6444.JPG

Edited by takesiteasy, 17 August 2020 - 04:12 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users