34 replies to this topic

#31 ootnaboot

ootnaboot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSLO & Durango

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:28 AM

That is so weird that some leak and others do not.  If you can, please post pictures of your window seams/folds.  I posted mine in my build thread starting at post #206.   There are FWC Hawk pics in post #202

https://www.wanderth...-21#entry235036

I'm like you Vic...our windows leak too. Not really sure why. I've considered using Silnet silicone seam sealer like I do on my single-wall 4 season tents. It's pretty amazing stuff. It would like solve the issue...if for nothing else, I always forget to use the storm flaps until it's too late. Just haven't tried yet.

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:33 AM

I'm like you Vic...our windows leak too. Not really sure why. I've considered using Silnet silicone seam sealer like I do on my single-wall 4 season tents. It's pretty amazing stuff. It would like solve the issue...if for nothing else, I always forget to use the storm flaps until it's too late. Just haven't tried yet.

Almost a year later, and lots of camping in the rain.  No leaks with the mod done as outlined in post #24 above.  The storm flaps are now relegated to a storage shelf in the garage.   :D

#33 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

Frank, I've done the seam sealant with an ATC approved product.  It stopped the leakage through the stitches, but the water still accumulates between the mesh and the clear plastic and runs along that bottom seam until it comes out either end.  

I'm late to this but this is exactly my experience too... very frustrating.  I like the idea of the flaps but the implementation isn't great.  I've put some aquaseal on the stitching and along that seam Vic speaks of.  Haven't had rain in a while so haven't been able to test my "fix" yet.  I also tried to get some of the sealant down along the bottom seam next to the clear flap.

BTW, the other downside to this is that you have plan ahead (like Vic pointed  out) if it's going to rain, etc.  We also had to buy a lightweight, ladder as our truck is pretty high and I can't reach the top velcro to put the flaps on (usually during a rain storm when I didn't plan ahead).  Also, with those flaps on, you have no way to get ventilation (or you have to go back outside and un-velcro a portion of the flap).  It can get really stuffy.  

I guess what I'm saying is, that I like the old method better.  More control, always on, etc., etc.  BTW, this is a replacement vinyl on our 2001 Eagle (we use it a lot) and this was the only option (from ATC at the time).

Kevin

Edited by kmcintyre, 01 September 2021 - 10:29 AM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:15 PM

We tested the "fix" with a garden hose too.  I'd not seal along the bottom other than at the stitching.  You want the water to be able to drain out of the the mesh. 

#35 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:35 AM

I've done the mod Vic posted and have been in several hard rain storms since and no leaks. I'm going to leave the exterior flaps at home from now on. If you do this be careful with the HH-66 cement, it is very aggressive on the clear window. Also be sure to stitch it at least once or twice at the top of the "dam" to relieve strain on the glue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users