49 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

Thank you. I was worried about posting this.

I’m glad you did post your experiences.  It reminds us all to be vigilant, and hopefully to look out for one another when we are out and about.  It also took a lot of courage to bring up a topic like misogyny.

I am haunted by waters

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,318 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:59 AM

I’m glad you did post your experiences.  It reminds us all to be vigilant, and hopefully to look out for one another when we are out and about.  It also took a lot of courage to bring up a topic like misogyny.

I agree completely. Teledork, thank you for posting and telling your story. I was so angered by these folks' actions I had to take a walk. Male bullies picking on women they believe they can intimidate and overpower is just wrong. And their partners condoning it with inaction and in front of their kids..............

I applaud you for telling your story and trying to find a lesson in it, to find a positive.

We need to know what's happening to single women travelers so we can be aware, look out for each other, support and help. And work together for solutions so this behavior ends.

Please don't let these awful incidents keep you from getting out.

I read your post to Julie as she has a couple female friends that are getting out on their own. She's working her mind around it. In fact she's sharing your story with one friend on the phone now.

I'm curious what they'll come up with. You have generated good discussion, thank you.

Our best to you.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:14 AM

Sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it as well as possible under the circumstances.

It might be good to hear from Hoyden on this issue as she travelled solo for some time.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

Sorry this happened to you and I've always felt that the camping crowd were good people.  The only issue we've had is someone being noisy into the night but then again, I'm not a single female.  I would hope other campers would come to your aid.  Now, I would think booddocking could be a bit scary as a single female BUT in reality, we should all be able to do what we like to do without having to be worried about other people.  Good luck.  I hope you keep on doing what you love.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

Sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it as well as possible under the circumstances.

It might be good to hear from Hoyden on this issue as she travelled solo for some time.

Paul

I haven't seen anything from Hoyden in a long time but she certainly did quite a bit of solo traveling/camping.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:27 PM

TD,

The advantage to wasp spray (from my understanding) is it is very localized effects. Doesn't spread out like pepper spray will. In a bad situation that would be (IMHO) the best 1st response, understanding that a larger response (pepper spray) might be needed as a follow up. It is sad that we have to discuss these things when all we want is to love nature and be left alone..... Still if it's me or them, it's gonna be them.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

Too many people. Too many widely distributed media examples of public rage with no penalty for that behavior, in fact just the opposite, often a fan base develops. I have always lived by the notion that I should be unconditionally constructive. That would not have done any good in this situation. I did once need to demonstrate I was armed, way back in the day when I used to be armed, and it was remarkably effective in stopping the raging idiot in his tracks. But I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I would have had to shoot him. It certainly would have ruined his, and his family's and friends. No clear answer.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#18 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:36 PM

That is why the order of things is

1.) Try to ignore or reason with them depending on the situation

2.) Try to drive away if that option exists..

3.) Call for help if you can....

4.) Pull out the wasp/pepper spray and hope you don't have to deploy.

5.) Deploy and hope they leave or you can leave...

6.) Don't really want to go there but it may not be a choice....

If you get to 6 you are dealing with some very nasty idiots....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#19 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

Tough situation, sorry to hear. Happyjax has a good list, very close to mine:
1. Don’t engage or respond. Leave as quickly as possible. 
2. Try to identify with a license plate, etc. 

3. Absolutely call law enforcement after leaving the area. Chances are that if they react with that much hostility they’re known, or should be known, by local LEOs.

4. Perfect situation for a dash cam or turning your phone on to record. Easy to say sitting here typing away, much tougher under pressure situation.

5. Brandishing/using personal protection (mace or firearm) takes it to a whole other level most of us are unprepared for. It would have to be an extreme situation for me. 
6. This should have been listed as #1: situational awareness. Much of the time, but not always, there are indicators of what you might expect from somebody. Loud music, lots of beer, an attitude of entitlement while breaking the law (the campfire)...this reflects my days running restaurants/bars but if they came to party hard, they’re more apt to fight.

The SAH orders have just caused the crazies to ratchet up to a higher level. Increased pressure on rural areas by those of us from urban areas have increased the “localism” attitude. Understandable, but the behavior you experienced is inexcusable.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 27 July 2020 - 05:24 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#20 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

That is why the order of things is

1.) Try to ignore or reason with them depending on the situation

2.) Try to drive away if that option exists..

3.) Call for help if you can....

4.) Pull out the wasp/pepper spray and hope you don't have to deploy.

5.) Deploy and hope they leave or you can leave...

6.) Don't really want to go there but it may not be a choice....

If you get to 6 you are dealing with some very nasty idiots....

Exactly! 

I've laughingly thought about a sword. They are not designed for deployment from inside the cab of a truck but the "this lady is a lunatic!" factor could be worth something. Then I began wondering if there are laws about "brandishing" a slingshot because there are gong to be legal ramifications any time you pull out a gun and I honestly have to admit, as I sit here right now, that I would rather go down than be dragged through the legal system because I made the choice to protect myself. If someone went after my dog though - 

Wasp spray is on my shopping list. The kind of funny thing is that when I pulled out my pepper spray the guy said "who ya' gonna call" - guess he thought it was a phone - and he did back off when he figured it out. The can of wasp spray would not be mistaken for a phone and I can buy it in the grocery store. My recollection is that #1 - bear spray is expensive and #2 - it has to be replaced frequently. Bear spray - $40, wasp spray - $5 - 8. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users