49 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

I heard from a friend in Mammoth (who has a scanner) just how crazy it was. If you know the beach on June Lake - illegal parking, people unable to leave because they were blocked in, 600! - yes, 600 people on the beach including - and I think this wins the prize - a couple of families riding ATVs on that same beach! Apparently FS called in assistance from Mono County Sheriff and Mammoth PD to clear and close the beach altogether. There is an entrance booth which I'll bet is not being staffed so the typical humanoid anarchy ensued. 

People are leaving campfires burning and human excrement and trash everywhere. Someone had a tent set up between two businesses right on Hwy 203 in town and others had driven in on a hiking trail to set up camp. There were numerous SAR calls and a multi-car accident (with1 fatality and 7 other injuries) involving a cow. MLPD issued more speeding tickets than they ever have in a single day. Law enforcement was called to a Mammoth motel when a customer flat out refused to follow the mask rules and refused to take his refunded money and leave. 

This is why we can't have nice things. 

edit to add: the multi -car accident, the four in one vehicle (including the fatality) - none were wearing seat belts and there may not have been a cow

I'm going backpacking - put at least 15 miles between me and the loonies. 

Sounds exactly the same as here...........................

Gone are the days of awe of our natural wonders, communing with nature, getting the mountains good tidings. Everybody is coming up for an event and a party and don't dare get in their way.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:31 AM

After reading the latest from Teledork and Ski3pin, I guess that confirms our notion to wait until cold and rainy days to go anywhere. That's o.k., we are geared for it.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#43 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:13 AM

I have been in contact a couple of times in remote areas by some wierd people, the best thing to do is to leave. If needed defend yourself as needed, guns, knifes, sprays of some sort, sling shot, axe. But if you remove yourself from situation, you are the smart one. No one would like to shoot someone with a firearm, wasp spray or bear spray, a good alternative. But depending who you are dealing with, what ever meds they may be on, you are best to leave situation. 

#44 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

We experience similar issues up north too. Finding those "places in between" helps to avoid the crowds and the "angries" as my better half calls them. Dealing directly with people like that is difficult and sounds like you did what you could to get out of the situation. Especially this summer, tensions are way up there in the parks and forests and it unfortunately spills over for small things. Going early or late or find those other places helps.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#45 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

I hear what people are saying about avoidance and just getting away.

But.

The worst part of this incident is that I was trapped by two vehicles and the only way I could have "gotten away" is to leave my vehicle and all of my belongings, grab the phone and the dog and run off through the sagebrush. 

That does not sound like a good idea. Predators love the chase.  I'd have to abandon some precious things like my camper and my guitar. I seriously doubt they would be kind to my stuff. 

And this is a bizarre season. I usually see perhaps one or two other people - or no one - in the particular location of the incident. 

So I have been thinking through different scenarios. Turn the phone on record. Ask to be allowed to leave. If my request is not granted give a warning and then deploy wasp spray. 

It really, really sucks though to have to consider this kind of thing. 

#46 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

Very sorry to hear of your recent bad experience. The sad facts are predators are everywhere in society in numbers. And our culture has changed in recent years to acceptance. It is not ok to treat you or anyone else in such a way. Situation awareness as others have said is your best friend. Your brain is your best weapon in your personal protection. Defense spray should always be close at hand when you travel. You mentioned you have a dog. What type? Maybe consider a new buddy a well bred German Shepard comes to mind. They are super protective of their best buddy and great dogs. I think people would think twice approaching you with a shepherd as a buddy. I know this is a much debated subject but, Conceal Carry should be considered. Remember better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Just my two cents be safe and enjoy your rights to be in a free nation. 
Wayne

#47 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:58 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I don't have much to offer, I agree with much of what has been said regarding avoidance, and escape whenever feasible, but it sounds like in your case both were difficult.

You may consider getting further away from high density population areas. By that I mean that if you are in the wilderness, but that wilderness is a half day drive from a highly populated area, you will probably interact with more people. More people increases your odds of bad interactions. I once camp hosted in a Utah NFS campground which was 4 hours from Las Vegas, the "locals" didn't like the Vegas crowd and the Vegas crowd didn't like rules. 

I have found if I am at least a solid days drive away from densely populated areas, or very popular attractions, like a National Park, such as Yosemite, people are nicer. This of course may be difficult in CA.

Also, if possible avoid weekends.

I hope you never experience something like that again.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#48 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:45 PM

TD thank you for having the courage to post about your experiences in what is mostly a male dominated forum. It takes courage.

I read your initial email to my wife who reminded me that we have two female friends who camp solo and both of them have big dogs ( A German Shepard and a Lab) who can be very protective of their owner when needed but a gentle to their friends. Then I read in post # 45 that you have a dog. Can I ask what kind? Could the dog have helped in calming the situations?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#49 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

Teledork, thank you for sharing your harrowing experience(s).  It's a GD shame there's a sharp increase in ill behaved visitors to our backroads.   We see it here north of Tahoe too, where there are hoards of idjits in places that used to be lightly used.  We can hope the colder weather will drive them back to wherever they came from.

I've been physically attacked at my place of business two times; once by a mentally ill guy and another time by a drunk homeless person.  Both times I made the mistake of approaching them.   I called my brother in law for advice.  He's a veteran FBI agent who was also a bodyguard for Chair of the Joint Chief of Staff.  He suggested a gun, which I shot down ; ) since I'm not prepared to shoot someone or have them shoot me.  I asked about pepper spray and his advice was even  military grade spray won't stop someone jacked up on meth, but only enrage them.  We settled on adding cameras to our building and setting a new policy of non-engagement.  If we see someone who doesn't belong, we call the police and do not engage.  My carpenters are all big guys and I've directed them to do the same.  Do not engage.  For you that might mean, stay inside your truck and don't have your window down more than an inch.

I'll second other suggestions to have a large dog with you.  Our widowed neighbor has two rottweilers, and nobody goes anywhere near her property without facing 250 lbs of aggressive canines.

I am so sorry you've been harassed, and I commend your bravery to share this with our WTW crew.  We are a community of good people and can advise, console or be sounding boards for each other.  Next time we head south through Walker, we'll be sending you good thoughts.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#50 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:56 PM

TD thank you for having the courage to post about your experiences in what is mostly a male dominated forum. It takes courage.

I read your initial email to my wife who reminded me that we have two female friends who camp solo and both of them have big dogs ( A German Shepard and a Lab) who can be very protective of their owner when needed but a gentle to their friends. Then I read in post # 45 that you have a dog. Can I ask what kind? Could the dog have helped in calming the situations?

The dog is a Golden Doodle. He seems a little more protective than a purebred Golden but I seriously doubt anyone would be afraid of him and I don't know how he could have calmed the situation. I would be more afraid they would hurt the dog at which point I would - well, do you remember The Incredible Hulk?

I had a rather large chocolate lab and his protective behavior, especially after my husband died, was a little difficult at times. He would stand his ground and bark  - which is great - but people would get real, real pissed off at me. Because he barked at them. From the end of a leash. Or from the cab of my truck. Or in the yard behind a fence.  But if I could have trained him to pass gas on cue I think I could have safely roamed the worst neighborhoods with no fear whatsoever. He was deadly. 

But yeah - I'd have a lab again. He even looked a little scary - at least until you got to know what a total goofball he was. 

The photo is Pippin - the Golden Doodle - in Emigrant Wilderness on his 4th birthday earlier this month. 

Edited by teledork, 17 August 2020 - 11:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users