10 replies to this topic

#1 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

I live within sight and sound of Highway 395 in N Mono County. It was quiet this weekend and even quieter today, Monday.  Now of course Walker is not a "destination" for most people but after the lunacy of last weekend this is a big sigh of relief. 

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

What are you guessing accounts for the traffic variability between those two weekends?  Have you been recently hit by the same vicious heat wave we've been getting down here in the SW?

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:33 PM

TD we live within sight/sound of the "tourist"hwy for Monterey (Ca 156).

It also seemed to be a bit slowed this weekend.

Maybe not as hot in the valley and very foggy here.

Who knows as long as the people didn't show up I am happy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:29 PM

What are you guessing accounts for the traffic variability between those two weekends?  Have you been recently hit by the same vicious heat wave we've been getting down here in the SW?

Rico.

It has been hot but is cooling off. 

July is THE summer vacation month around here and the last weekend of the month is the busiest time except for the holidays. Kids will be returning to "school" (whatever form that will take right now) in a couple of weeks. And I can't help but wonder if the end of the $600/week unemployment is a factor or just a coincidence. 

#5 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

TD we live within sight/sound of the "tourist"hwy for Monterey (Ca 156).

It also seemed to be a bit slowed this weekend.

Maybe not as hot in the valley and very foggy here.

Who knows as long as the people didn't show up I am happy.

Frank

Those dang 150 something highways confuse me. No! No! I didn't meant to go to Gilroy!

Edited by teledork, 03 August 2020 - 09:53 PM.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:25 PM

I live within sight and sound of Highway 395 in N Mono County. It was quiet this weekend and even quieter today, Monday.  Now of course Walker is not a "destination" for most people but after the lunacy of last weekend this is a big sigh of relief. 

My goodness, we thought it was busy in that area the end of last week through the weekend. We like Walker because, like our town, it does not have a signal light.

It was extremely busy on highway 88 over the crest on Sunday. Carson and Meiss parking at the summit were filled and overflowing. Caples dam parking was overflowing onto 88 as was Lake Margaret, and Shealor Lake. Thunder Mountain was full.

Silver Lake was a zoo. Everyone has now discovered the "potholes" thanks to social media. Parked vehicles interfered with traffic flow along with people not paying attention and wandering into the highway. This is always a caution area.

All in all, it looked pretty darn busy to us.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:29 PM

Of course we are on the other side of the country but the same is happening here..

We have a beach house in Hatteras NC that we rent out during the summer and after some initial hesitation the house has been booked solid through September and we are considering offering it into October (the best time of the year imho).

It seems that with many people “working from home” it doesn’t matter where that home is and with many kids remote learning this fall why not be somewhere near the ocean?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:26 AM

Of course we are on the other side of the country but the same is happening here..

We have a beach house in Hatteras NC that we rent out during the summer and after some initial hesitation the house has been booked solid through September and we are considering offering it into October (the best time of the year imho).

It seems that with many people “working from home” it doesn’t matter where that home is and with many kids remote learning this fall why not be somewhere near the ocean?

Now, you’re making me homesick for NC barrier islands. Standing out in the surf, or on a pier looking for blues, spot, mullet, channel bass, mackerel, flounder, or other toothsome critters is calling for me. 

Of course, it might just be my memories of simpler days fishing with friends without the need of a game warden or lawyer to interpret the changed rules just posted online for the day. Sigh.. :(

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:52 AM

We stopped at the rest stop in Walker Friday. Any plans to use the restroom were dashed upon first sight. A half dozen people waiting in line and cars kept coming. Can't imagine what it is like on busy days? :eek:

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

We stopped at the rest stop in Walker Friday. Any plans to use the restroom were dashed upon first sight. A half dozen people waiting in line and cars kept coming. Can't imagine what it is like on busy days? :eek:

Wow! I cannot say I have ever seen a line (I am assuming you are talking about the restroom by the Senior Center) any longer than the two or three of us who are out birdwatching. I am going to guess the pit toilets at Shingle Mill (Forest Service) and Mountain Gate (county) are still closed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users