Three issues to solve...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:08 AM

First off, things came together quicker than I expected, but we will soon take delivery of a 2018 Raven partially built shell. It was spec'd with a furnace and propane tanks and a thermal pack. The rest of the factory add ons aren't really germane to the questions so I'll spare you the minutiae. The owner then modded it himself nicely to put a safe place for a cooktop above the furnace cabinet and a counter with a basin to the right of that. My questions are these:

1) What's your favorite portable toilet? He used a Luggable Loo and litter, which is the way we'll probably go (no pun intended  :lol: ), but if you have something else you love, let me know what it is and why.

2) How do you handle water? We'll almost certainly do dishes outside, but what do you use to carry water? Have you plumbed a simple two tank system, etc? 

3) What say ye about awnings? I know they can be spendy and fragile, but they really expand the living space too. The Foxwing 270 looks reasonably simple mechanically and fairly robust. So, awning yea or nay and do you have a preferred brand.

Thanks!

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:53 AM

1) 5 gallon bucket with gamma seal lid, with regular toilet seat.  Luggable Loo seat is too small and lid doesn't seal.

2) Seven 1 gallon jugs in camper (fit under the right side seat) and a 6 gallon container behind the passenger seat (if needed).  I find 1 gallon jugs are easier to handle than bigger containers.

3) No awning.  Have a tarp I can set up away from the camper.  Will be getting a screen tent for bug season.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:16 PM

We use the PETT "Poo Powder" & bags in our RV toilet. If it didn't mean total deconstruction of the camper I'd remove the black water tank completely. The PETT toilet is decent, but search around, there are better. Advantage of this system is that it is legal to simply dispose of the bags in the trash.

Coleman 5 gal cube or a FrontRunner 5 gal 'gerry can'. The 7's were too heavy for my wife to lift when full.

If you get one of the 270° type of awnings be sure to get one that does not require poles and being staked down. Those can always have the pole(s) extended and be staked down, but it isn't a requirement every time you open the awning. We have an old ARB awning that I bought used a decade ago or more that I just recently got mounted on the camper. We've yet to use it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

1) 5 gallon bucket with gamma seal lid, with regular toilet seat.  Luggable Loo seat is too small and lid doesn't seal.

2) Seven 1 gallon jugs in camper (fit under the right side seat) and a 6 gallon container behind the passenger seat (if needed).  I find 1 gallon jugs are easier to handle than bigger containers.

3) No awning.  Have a tarp I can set up away from the camper.  Will be getting a screen tent for bug season.

jim

Like those ideas!

We use the PETT "Poo Powder" & bags in our RV toilet. If it didn't mean total deconstruction of the camper I'd remove the black water tank completely. The PETT toilet is decent, but search around, there are better. Advantage of this system is that it is legal to simply dispose of the bags in the trash.

Coleman 5 gal cube or a FrontRunner 5 gal 'gerry can'. The 7's were too heavy for my wife to lift when full.

If you get one of the 270° type of awnings be sure to get one that does not require poles and being staked down. Those can always have the pole(s) extended and be staked down, but it isn't a requirement every time you open the awning. We have an old ARB awning that I bought used a decade ago or more that I just recently got mounted on the camper. We've yet to use it.

No black or gray tank on this version (which I’m happy about).

Yes, 7s are heavy, 58 lbs plus the container to be exact. I used those for farmer carries during pandemic workouts. No wonder why she doesn’t like them! ;)

Tell me more about why you don’t like stakes. Yes they’re a little more work, but I’ve read horror stories of sneaky gusts decimating the free hanging versions, destroying the awning and damaging the camper skin.  

#5 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:07 PM

We're bear-ish on an awning for our new Hawk shell. Pros: sometimes it starts to rain when you're cooking outside...something that you could set up quickly would be well worth it.

Cons: I like my camper, but I don't need to be near it. Where we camp, frequently the level spot where you park isn't quite as attractive as the view just a few feet away. Why not set-up your tarp/awning/whatever, there? Why would you want to be trapped, on one side only, no less, to the camper.

That's our thinking so far, anyway, and we're considering a Clam/Gazelle pop-up fully screened in shelter. Our REI Alcove is a fine, strong shelter, but just too cumbersome to set-up and take down. (Took only 15 minutes to set-up this weekend, but still, that's about 8 times longer than a pop-up!

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

I carry just a standard type porta potty, and have a 20 gal tank w/an additional 6 in the hot water tank and a 5 gal. plastic water can and a few canteens-and yes I am so glad that Stan talked me into getting it and I love the hot water tank, each time I wash those dishes and have to wash my hands and especially when I take my weekly splash bath and shave :rolleyes:!  I also love my awning ---there ain't allot of trees out where I play and if you do it right, they do give some protection against rainy  days, after all, I don't go to the boonies to sit in my camper all day! And, yep sudden dust devils and the such can play fun with your awning, but after a time you will know when you need to roll it up and how fast to do it! By the way, you if you leave it out a foot or so, it will still give you a little protection against the elements!  The major problem with the is the dog gets tangled up in the poles when roped up!

Smoke

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 04 August 2020 - 05:17 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:54 AM

Fiamma f35 for the awning. I like to be able to have the supports/legs mount to the vehicle as an option. The batwing types that are staked scare me with regard to sudden and unexpected micro weather events.

We prefer a true portapottie to a luggable loo type setup. We only use it for solids so it lasts the 2 of us about 4-5 days before we come close to filling it up. And for the type of camping we do we have never had an issue finding a dump station within that time frame, as we would normally have to provision every 4-5 days as well.

We use the 7 gallon jugs with the spigots. Set them up on a small foot stool on the counter with a large stainless steel doggie water bowl for a sink under the spigot.

For us, the simpler (more primitive) you can keep it the better.

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:24 AM

Fiamma f35 for the awning. I like to be able to have the supports/legs mount to the vehicle as an option. The batwing types that are staked scare me with regard to sudden and unexpected micro weather events.

We prefer a true portapottie to a luggable loo type setup. We only use it for solids so it lasts the 2 of us about 4-5 days before we come close to filling it up. And for the type of camping we do we have never had an issue finding a dump station within that time frame, as we would normally have to provision every 4-5 days as well.

We use the 7 gallon jugs with the spigots. Set them up on a small foot stool on the counter with a large stainless steel doggie water bowl for a sink under the spigot.

For us, the simpler (more primitive) you can keep it the better.

Where do you empty portapotties? I’ve had an RV with black and gray tanks and I’d like to avoid that. Ideally, something that can be flushed down a standard toilet or thrown in the trash would be perfect.

As for 7gal, I already have two. It’s where we keep our “we’re semi-prepared for an earthquake” water. They’re heavy and unwieldy though. Each is over 60 lbs with the container weight factored in. That’s the cheapest option because we already own them. Awkward though.

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hi
If you go with a self contained potti, try empty when 1/2 full so much easier. I also don’t completely fill our holding tanks.

Ours came with a 20gallon. Would probably use the container with a spigot, bought one for water storage at home. Heavy but do able. Also smaller to be able to carry easier and use to refill and not have to schlep the big one around.

We have the fiamma easy to use. I guess it depends where you go. Being able to move the shade could be an asset. ARB look light and simple.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

Where do you empty portapotties? I’ve had an RV with black and gray tanks and I’d like to avoid that. Ideally, something that can be flushed down a standard toilet or thrown in the trash would be perfect.

As for 7gal, I already have two. It’s where we keep our “we’re semi-prepared for an earthquake” water. They’re heavy and unwieldy though. Each is over 60 lbs with the container weight factored in. That’s the cheapest option because we already own them. Awkward though.

The best place to empty a porta-potti is an outhouse, available at some remote rest stops.

I have also used RV dump stations depending on the station design and if they have water for hosing down, post dumping.

Emptying a porta-potti in a toilet is tricky, and can result in splashes. I am thinking of coming up with a flexible hose that would fit on the end of the porta-potti tank spout that you could then hold a few inches above the toilet bowl water while resting the porta-potti tank on the toilet bowl rim.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users