• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Willard

Willard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

So I have just bought a 1969 Alaskan 8' non cab over.

When I went to look at it, it had the ratchet or screw type jacks (2). They are sketchy at best and i have zero faith in them. 

I was looking at the Rieco standard tripod jacks (4) and I have a question.

Do I need to mount these or can I for the purpose of getting this on my rig, just lift as is? What is the risk?

I will not have time when I pick it up to mount them right and use a backing plated. I can do that once I get it home, if I need to. I would prefer not to at this stage as I need to go through the whole thing.

Once I verify the wood is good I plan to install the jacks properly but for now I just need to get it home.

The goal of this is to restore it. Looking at it someone (not the PO) did a hack job on the wiring as a

whole, the Fridge is wired all wrong and the furnace has been pulled.

Anyone know where to find a furnace?

Inside looks good with no visible signs of leaks. Exterior....well some dents. Someone put an externally mounted fuel can holder and propane tank holder. Both will come off.

As well the jacks need rebuilding, I am 100% sure there is wood rot somewhere so the siding will come off and the rusted screws will be turfed and new stainless will go on.

Etc etc.

This is a winter project for both my kids and myself.

To get it home it will go onto my modified M101A2 trailer. This will work fine but not its final home. I plan to pickup a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck next year.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

Hi Willard,

I can’t help with the questions, but I wanted to welcome you to WTW.  I suspect the Alaskan community will weigh in and help get you some answers.  BTW, we love pictures.  Please post some of your new to you NCO.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#3 Willard

Willard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

I only have the ones from the Ad but they work.

Attached Thumbnails

• Camper (1).jpg
  • Camper (4).jpg
  • Camper (2).jpg
  • Camper (3).jpg

#4 Willard

Willard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:02 PM

Oh and the guess is it is a 1969. That is not 100% for sure. The Wyoming license stickers on the top left show 1969 and 1970.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM

Welcome great to have another member.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:48 PM

How carefully you back up to put the camper on is the key to getting it on the truck safely. You can load that camper with two jacks (as the PO did) as long as the camper is balanced. When loading, the camper has to be high enough to clear the bed of your truck by at least a couple of inches. When you back up under the camper, make sure the camper doesn't drag on the bed of the truck or the wheel wells and take it easy so you don't bang into the front of the camper when it is completely in the bed. Lower the camper into the bed and take the jacks away. I would guess there are 4 bolt holes in the floor of the camper for mounting and it would be a good idea to secure the camper to the truck for the ride home. Take it easy and don't get in a hurry and you won't have to mount jacks to get it home. As an aside, I mounted and dismounted an Alaskan for years using two cable jacks with wide plates, 4 bolts through the floor to hold the camper to the truck.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#7 Willard

Willard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:03 AM

That is exactly what we will do. While the old jacks are iffy at best we both talked about it I think we can do it.

We will have two farm jacks as well just in case.

#8 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:04 AM

Tripod jacks like the Reico work fine for me, although I use one on each corner.  I like to use a 2x4 or 2x6 to cushion between the jack plate and the camper, and to spread out the load.

I modified my m101a1 trailer to carry my Alaskan by moving the inner fender wells outward to make a 49” space (1/2” clearance on each side.)  Carries the weight fine, and the surge brakes on your A2 should be safe enough. As Argonaut says, bolting through the floor is the preferred method to mount the camper to your truck or trailer bed.

There are better options than the original heaters. I replaced mine with an Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater and am happy with it. 

good luck with your new Alaskan! 

Attached Thumbnails

• DDA695B2-BA35-47D5-81DA-F101DE6DFD90.jpeg

Edited by Keith in Co, 05 August 2020 - 04:10 AM.

#9 Willard

Willard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Keith,

I was going to go 1" on both sides but good to know 1/2 also works.

I was looking at those Olympian Wave 3 heaters, so thank you for that. Does it fit in the original location or did you have to modify anything. Or is it loose.

Currently the surge brake on the trailer is off (blame the PO for that) I am doing a total rebuild of it but it will not be ready before i pick up the camper.

Either way it will still tow fine I think, just no plan to go fast on the way home. Mine has 16' wheels on it and I will have to air them almost all the way down to get this into my garage, even then I may have to build a dolly instead

#10 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:19 AM

Willard:

Welcome to the forum.  I have a 2018 10ft Alaskan cabover and installed the following Platinum Catalytic Heater (Plat Cat):  

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/heaters     Arnie Lind is the contact and will be happy to help you.  

These heaters are vented to the outside and are RV rated for use.  We use the factory installed forced air unit to get things warm and after a few minutes switch over to the Plat Cat vented heater which uses very little propane and 12V electric.

Cheers...Lloyd   

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users