10 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:07 PM

Here's the final chapter of our 11 day journey. Our trip started with a stop in the Warner Mountains and we ended it with a pleasant return to the Warner Mountains. We can still smell the pungent mule ears  and volcanic soil. I have the photos and story posted to our blog and you are most welcome to find it here -

South Warner Wilderness - July 2020

Please enjoy! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Oh my, I haven’t been that far south in the Warners.  Add one more to the list of places to visit.

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along.

I am haunted by waters

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

Pretty this time of year. Makes we want to go grab my pack!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

The South Warner Wilderness is neat, off the beaten path  and usually not  to crowded; lot's of folks like to camp at one of the bordering CG's and then overnight into one of the lakes for some good fishing! Last time I was at Pepperdine was right after I had some noninvasive surgery on my knee and I had this great idea to test my knee and see how far I could walk up that trail and maybe do a little fishing at one of the lakes. This was only my second time out  and  I made it about a couple of hundred yards up that first steep part of the trail before I realized I was not ready yet, so I'm glad you finished that  hike for me B)!  I spent a next few  days there enjoying wind in the pine trees, a little vodka and trying to hide from the horse flies!  Again, thanks for taking me along!

As a note  and just as when you use any wilderness area, watch the weather, I remember not to much after transferring up to NE California in 1980, a couple of back packers froze to death when they got caught in a early fall snow storm up there!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 04 August 2020 - 04:49 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

What a nice series of rambles- enjoyed all your recent trip reports. Good diversion for those of us stuck at home. Fun to see the pic of prairie smoke- one of our favorite native plants here. Also- nothing better than an empty campground. Thanks for writing up your travels. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the fun ride.

I always like visiting the area of our north state,and south Oregon.

Seeing Mt.Shasta from almost everywhere you go is so cool.

No wonder the first people felt so spiritual about the mountain.

Great trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:51 PM

Oh my, I haven’t been that far south in the Warners.  Add one more to the list of places to visit.

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along.

You are most welcome, Mr. Sage. Thank you! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:51 PM

Pretty this time of year. Makes we want to go grab my pack!

Go get it Craig, go get it! Are you moving about better now? We hope so.

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:54 PM

The South Warner Wilderness is neat, off the beaten path  and usually not  to crowded; lot's of folks like to camp at one of the bordering CG's and then overnight into one of the lakes for some good fishing! Last time I was at Pepperdine was right after I had some noninvasive surgery on my knee and I had this great idea to test my knee and see how far I could walk up that trail and maybe do a little fishing at one of the lakes. This was only my second time out  and  I made it about a couple of hundred yards up that first steep part of the trail before I realized I was not ready yet, so I'm glad you finished that  hike for me B)!  I spent a next few  days there enjoying wind in the pine trees, a little vodka and trying to hide from the horse flies!  Again, thanks for taking me along!

As a note  and just as when you use any wilderness area, watch the weather, I remember not to much after transferring up to NE California in 1980, a couple of back packers froze to death when they got caught in a early fall snow storm up there!

Smoke

Thanks Smoke! Good stories. And, thanks for the note about the weather and such. That's the reason we always carry the ten essentials and are prepared to spend an unplanned night out and ready to help others.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

What a nice series of rambles- enjoyed all your recent trip reports. Good diversion for those of us stuck at home. Fun to see the pic of prairie smoke- one of our favorite native plants here. Also- nothing better than an empty campground. Thanks for writing up your travels. :)

Al, thanks for chiming in with your always much appreciated kind comments! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users