Photo
- - - - -

F350 where do I jack from? / would this plan work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:50 AM

F350 where do I jack from?  / would this plan work? 

Hi all - first truck, so learning as I go.

So I don’t want to spend a ton of $ on a high end jack… 

I picked up this 6,000 lb capacity jack - Powerbuilt 620471 Unijack - 

(Rig weights 11,300 lbs loaded) 

The jack has a height range of 11 inch to 21 inches. 

Got the 6,000 lb version. 

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B00GJJZ5NI

So my Sidewall height is 6”

Front Axle heights are about 12” or 13” approx. 

So if I have a flat, then Axle would be approximately 7” up (maybe a little more due to the tread thickness) correct?

So I can’t get the jack under the axle, when i have a flat…. as it only contracts to 11” 

However I always carry some Lynx Levelers with me, so I could easily make a 4” or 5” ramp of Lynx Levelers… drive that flat tire up onto the Lynx Levelers, get jack under the axle, Jack it up,  Remove lynx levelers. Swap in the spare tire. 

Would all that work?

Secondly…. It isn’t clear to me exactly where I should exactly put the jack. I believe it is “under the axle” but where exactly? 

I attached pics of the front and back of my F350. (4x4)

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• front-F350-IMG_4863.jpg
  • rear-axle-IMG_4866.jpg

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

Well, seems like the best thing to do is practice with your jack and some blocks of wood in your driveway. Get to know your truck and equipment that way. This is important due to the likelihood that when you do get a flat in the wild, it will not likely be in a flat convenient location. You may have to dig down a bit to seat the jack, or you may have to jack it up a bit, wedge some rocks or a stack of wood blocks under the axle near the wheel, then drop the jack, put some blocks under it, and jack it up further. What I am saying is there are so many situations that could occur there is no one right way. Generally having blocks of wood, a shovel, and familiarity with your gear helps. For many years I carried jack stands https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=, which I used on several occasions. You may want to consider getting a pair.

Primarily though, practice with your jack in a few ways, then you will know what it will do when that flat shows up somewhere in the least convenient place.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Great advice - thanks! 

Well, seems like the best thing to do is practice with your jack and some blocks of wood in your driveway. Get to know your truck and equipment that way. This is important due to the likelihood that when you do get a flat in the wild, it will not likely be in a flat convenient location. You may have to dig down a bit to seat the jack, or you may have to jack it up a bit, wedge some rocks or a stack of wood blocks under the axle near the wheel, then drop the jack, put some blocks under it, and jack it up further. What I am saying is there are so many situations that could occur there is no one right way. Generally having blocks of wood, a shovel, and familiarity with your gear helps. For many years I carried jack stands https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=, which I used on several occasions. You may want to consider getting a pair.

Primarily though, practice with your jack in a few ways, then you will know what it will do when that flat shows up somewhere in the least convenient place.

#4 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

The correct jack placement on the rear of F-350 trucks is under the rear axle housing in between the leaf spring "U" bolts on the side of the truck that needs to be raised. 

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:55 PM

I generally place the jack as close to the flat tire as I reasonably can and I don't get too wrapped around the axle about where is "correct" because sometimes that isn't possible. When dealing with a-arm front suspension you need to be really careful to watch what the suspension does as you jack it up and don't be afraid to lower and re-set the jack if you don't like what you're seeing. Sometimes the only safe place to lift one of those is under the cross-member. Live axles are more forgiving about jack placement. Pretty much anywhere will work.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 16 August 2020 - 01:21 PM

I would look up Safe Jack for extensions and footprint on bottle jacks. I use for my F250 and it not only works but gives me a warm fuzzy felling as being safer ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users