• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:52 PM

I have 360 watts of solar running through a victron 30 amp controller to a Battle Born lithium battery on my 2008 GMC diesel with a 2014 Alaskan. Prior to the Battle Born I used a Blue Sea SI ACR between my engine batteries and my camper FLA batteries. After talking to Blue Sea I learn the ACR will not work with lithium batteries. So no alternator charge to the lithium battery. How have people solved this problem? Battle born has device (LIM?) that limits current to battery  for 20 mins at a time. I also think some folks have used Victrons Cyrix CT Li. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance. This is a very useful forum.

#2 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:57 PM

When I contacted battleborn they recommended a Dc-dc charger. I bought a victron model- the Orion smart

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#3 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:58 PM

From BB (they also sell them on their website so they have an incentive)

Hi Luke,

The Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30amp charger has been our go-to component, but they have been back ordered with Victron for a few months. This charger has a 3 stage charging algorithm, unlike the non-smart isolated converter.

We should be receiving some of the Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30amp chargers within a day or two.

Please give us a call if you’d like to discuss the DC to Dc chargers in more detail, or to place an order for one.

Thank you,
Brandon

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:02 AM

I have been using an ACR with my LiFePO4 with no issues for years.  The only difference is that it will keep the batteries combined most of the time.  But if you ever do start to run the batteries down, the ACR will disconnect.   With the solar array you have, your ACR was probably active most of the time anyway. 

I would give the ACR a go before throwing any more money at this.   Definitely avoid the LIM, it is a hack solution to what may be a non-problem.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:07 AM

Orion TR works well.  It was iffy until last week when they did a firmware update.  

#6 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

@vic

What kind of issues? Just finished install last night. Prelim testing looked good.

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:56 PM

From BB (they also sell them on their website so they have an incentive)

Hi Luke,

The Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30amp charger has been our go-to component, but they have been back ordered with Victron for a few months. This charger has a 3 stage charging algorithm, unlike the non-smart isolated converter.

We should be receiving some of the Orion Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30amp chargers within a day or two.

Please give us a call if you’d like to discuss the DC to Dc chargers in more detail, or to place an order for one.

Thank you,
Brandon

What is the price shipped to Idaho (83702)?  Do you have the 18amp version?

Thanks!

Kevin

Edited by kmcintyre, 07 August 2020 - 01:58 PM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:32 PM

This the model I bought:

Victron Orion-TR Smart 12-12-30 30A (360W) Isolated DC-DC 

I shopped around online, found one for $245 w/shipping to Colorado

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

#9 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

2 1/2 yrs ago I dealt with this same issue. I was going with LFP4. I liked the dc/dc company below, Sterling, which was/is well rated. Good phone support too. Hit a wall though, with the dc/dc price & install, as my Shell build (w/low AH use plan) was burning me out. To be simple, I decided to increase my AH Battery storage, and spend even a bit more money, & go all in w/solar. I added, a same generation 50Ah battery, to my initial 100Ah. I disconnected my alternator. So far it’s been more than enough. If I ever make the Alaska adventure, I may rethink.
https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/

Edited by Stokeme, 07 August 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#10 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Rando, on your set up using the ACR, do you get a full charge from the alternator. Alternators for FLA batteries usually charge at about 13.9 volts whereas lithium requires 14.6 volts. is there also a bleed off from the higher lithium battery voltage to the lower voltage truck battery? Or does the ACR take care of that? I would like to be able to keep using the ACR and not have to buy a DC-DC charger. The BLUE SEA folks did not think ACR would work with lithium.  I am using 10 gauge wire in the ACR circuit. Should the wire size be larger? This is sure helpful. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users