• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 storm

storm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:53 AM

I'm torn between these two options, between being a realist about my time and skills to build out a Shell myself, and between some of the less than desirable interior features that come with the Camper.

FWC has many fantastic things going for it, but the lack of interior modularity, their battery and refrigerator options (for slide-ins), the materials and quality of their cabinetry, their cushion fabric, and counter laminate color pallet, leaves much to be desired.

Why are Battleborn lithium batteries only available on the Flatbed?

Why is under bed storage only available on the Flatbed?

Why isn't there a floor plan that supports the vastly more efficient Dometic or ARB ice chest style refrigerator/freezer?

Why isn't a 20 gallon water tank, water heater, and outdoor shower available as options on the shell?

And the interior color pallet (walls, cushions, counters, floors) is super dated. Go to the Adventure Van Expo and check out the interiors of the Sprinter builds. There is a stark contrast.

The modular design and clean cabinetry of Scout Campers should give FWC some competition. I hope FWC takes notice. But IMO, it's too early to buy a Scout Camper. They'll be working through v1.0 challenges for a bit (no cross ventilating windows in the sleeping area and no ceiling exhaust fans....? Wuh?!)  https://www.scoutcam...outscoutcampers

If you have pictures of your Shell build out, please send my way.

Cheers

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:21 AM

<snip>

Camper Builds

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:17 AM

You raise some very good points. As the past owner of two FWCs, my wife and I loved them but also at times wished for nicer, i.e. more aesthetic, interior materials as an option. An option for a chest-type fridge would also be an excellent addition. I think the simple fact is that as long as the company has a waiting list for their stock product there is very little reason for them to mess with the recipe. And that recipe functions really, really well. We never had the slightest complaint about practicality, and through the years FWC has made many worthwhile changes in production (larger, better-situated water tank, for example).

If you're that dissatisfied with the stock interior, a shell would give you unlimited creative possibilities.

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:49 PM

I can't answer your questions about why you can't get all of the options you want in a FWC. Yes, we all want the perfect rig, but it's not realistic to compare a Sprinter build ($$$$) or a self contained unit  to a FWC. Shell models are for people who want to build out their interiors to suit their particular needs. I had my ATC Panther Shell built with side dinette and corner stove unit. ATC allowed me to provide my own battery and the Lagun table mount. The frig sits on top of a simple shelf to match the rest of the interior paneling.I later added the Truckfridge and Propex furnace.

I've owned 2 previous FWCs and retro built out my own interiors including side dinettes and custom cabinetry. Based on my previous experiences I knew what I wanted in my ATC Shell build. It's simple but not too austere and it fits my needs perfectly. All of the finish work was done by ATC so you wouldn't have to do any of that work.  I don't dwell on things I wish it had like I used to do with my prior rigs. Some wise person said " Want what you have!!".

Note: Sitting on the rear bench seat behind the Lagun Table is my solar shower. It doesn't work very well in the winter!! Beneath the bench seat is the battery and storage space for linens and clothes. Our kitchen supplies are under the dinette seat. Nothing sits on the floor of the camper when we're fully loaded and on the road. 

Attached Thumbnails

• atc - 1.jpg
  • atc - 1 (1).jpg
  • atc - 1 (2).jpg

Edited by Ronin, 07 August 2020 - 04:41 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

Man if you knew how many times we have asked those same questions? The Shell was hands down the way to go for us because the other layouts were not appealing. We knew we spend as much time outside as possible and the build out would be basic and a work in progress to figure out exactly what we want or need and where to put it.

But you hit the nail on the head about the battery thing. It just killed me to have to settle on taking a single AGM battery, knowing that I will probably draw it down more than I should and shorten its life span just to throw it in the landfill. Just to get the lithium battery I wanted in the first place! Oh and let’s not forget the extra money to upgrade chargers etc to handle said battery. 
FWC leaves a lot of money table. IMHO

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#6 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:03 PM

hey ronin, what is under fridge?

Oregon

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:19 PM

I've learned 2 things over the years.

1. There is no possible way to please everyone.

2. And no matter how many different sizes, shapes, models, colors, and floor plans we offer in our campers, it will never be enough.

:)

We are working on all of that stuff, all the time, but there is simply not enough hours in the day.

Change is slow around here.

What we build works pretty darn well.

Always room for improvement, ad we strive for that daily.

But we can't be everything, to everyone. Not possible.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:55 AM

Nothing really. All ATC or FWCs  besides flat bed models need to box in the wheel wells. I did route one of the furnace port outlets near the footman loop holding the shock cord you see on the left. The door near the bottom is the access door for the turnbuckle. Normally on a shell model it would come with painted (grey) plywood. I wanted the shelf for my Truckfridge which would also have been painted plywood, but I asked Marty to panel everything to match the stove/propane cabinet. Marty is so great to work with. I was worried about showing up at the factory to ask him if he could do just one more little tweak, but he always seemed to enjoy tossing my hair brained idea's around.

hey ronin, what is under fridge?

Attached Thumbnails

• furnace2 - 1.jpg

Edited by Ronin, 08 August 2020 - 02:43 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#9 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

FWC have a long history and is a well developed camper. I really like the alu construction and the pop-up mechanism. Scout looks nice, but is to high for me. Go with a shell, not that complicated to organize it as you want. Her is my build: https://www.facebook...66937091&type=3

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

I'm torn between these two options, between being a realist about my time and skills to build out a Shell myself, and between some of the less than desirable interior features that come with the Camper.

. . .

Not new but an old Grandby that I stripped and built to my needs.  Build thread is https://www.wanderth...interior-build/

(also in my signature).

Only you can decide if your time and skill is up to the task.  I found the build very enjoyable; this was my first attempt at actually building something with wood.

If going new, I have heard that ATC is more flexible than FWC for custom builds.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users