26 replies to this topic

#1 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:34 PM

This is my first post, thanks for all the info in these forums. 

I had been looking for a FWC for quite some time and after several missed attempts I finally found one only 60 miles away.  It's an old one, but I think it's in good shape for the age and was cheep.  I'm guessing 1975 based off the window stamps, but if you have any idea what model and year it might actually be let me know.  The front wall has a taper that meets the bed rails and I have not seen that on any other FWC camper. I know it's been modified in that area because I'm in the middle of replacing the sagging bed board, which is the original particle board.  I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting on the road. 

IMG 7864
IMG 6806
IMG 3760
IMG 1295
IMG 5750

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

Camper does look very good for its age. I just got through replacing the bed board on my 2005 Hawk. Had to install new one in two pieces or remove most of the interior.  Be sure to seal the end grain not just the top and bottom surfaces of the new replacement. Good luck, enjoy.

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

Does your camper not have a manufacturing label?  Mine is on the lower left side of the back:

sticker.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:20 PM

The only label is a stamped aluminum VIN# plate located on the back right, there is no other info there.

IMG 1353

Does your camper not have a manufacturing label?  Mine is on the lower left side of the back:

attachicon.gifsticker.jpg

Edited by mdfcleveland, 08 August 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to WTW!  Other than the cab-over bed board, it looks like you have a camper with excellent bones.  There are several threads on replacing the particle board.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Swaff1

Swaff1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationoHIo

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

Nice! Wonder if it was a Bronco or Blazer someone enclosed  at one time...

Where did you find it?

#7 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:30 AM

Nice! Wonder if it was a Bronco or Blazer someone enclosed  at one time...

Where did you find it?

Sure looks like a modified Blazer camper to me.  Nicely done I might add.  The front section is different for sure but looks like it adds some interior space that would be needed.  

#8 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:44 AM

Interesting, that would explain why there is no aluminum in that wall of the camper it’s all framed out in wood? It fits my 6.5’ bed perfectly so I’m happy. I found it in Canton, Oh

That extra storage room just got rebuilt yesterday to contain my future batteries, electrical, and solar controller in the bottom space. Sure was useful for my setup. I got my new bed board in thanks to this forum and all the information here. I still need to fasten it in place tomorrow. It’s amazing how much flex these frames have and bounce back into place doing tasks like that.

Nice! Wonder if it was a Bronco or Blazer someone enclosed at one time...
Where did you find it?

Edited by mdfcleveland, 10 August 2020 - 01:14 AM.

#9 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:33 AM

Having replaced the cab wall in my Blazer camper I can vouch it did not contain any aluminum structure to it.  Also, Blazer campers had no lower section below the bed rails.  They are completely open to the interior of the Blazer cab.  So whoever modified this one had to build the lower section and front wall from scratch.  

The other key item that tips one off that it's a Blazer camper is the front leading edge of the camper where the stock cab wall would have been has a slight forward rake to it.  That matches the slight angle to the Blazer cab.  But I bet if you parked the truck on level ground and put a level on that edge you'll see that it's not perfectly vertical.  All of the regular FWC campers would have a vertical wall there.  Bronco campers for the '80 up versions had an even more more pronounced rake that the Bronco's had.  

#10 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the info.  That front wall has a forward rake to it for sure so I believe I have a Blazer model that has been modified.  All the work done was sometime ago and I have no backstory on it.  The guy I purchased it from had it for a couple years and never used it.

It won't fix itself so back to the garage I go!

Matthew

Having replaced the cab wall in my Blazer camper I can vouch it did not contain any aluminum structure to it.  Also, Blazer campers had no lower section below the bed rails.  They are completely open to the interior of the Blazer cab.  So whoever modified this one had to build the lower section and front wall from scratch.  

The other key item that tips one off that it's a Blazer camper is the front leading edge of the camper where the stock cab wall would have been has a slight forward rake to it.  That matches the slight angle to the Blazer cab.  But I bet if you parked the truck on level ground and put a level on that edge you'll see that it's not perfectly vertical.  All of the regular FWC campers would have a vertical wall there.  Bronco campers for the '80 up versions had an even more more pronounced rake that the Bronco's had.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users