Solar...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

I bought a 2018 Raven shell and have been slowly buying things like chairs and tackling issues like water and toilet stuff to my satisfaction. 

It came solar ready without panels and with a single battery. I considered searching archives, but that space changes so quickly, it isn't like looking for a cooler or a toilet. 

We won't be gone for weeks at a time out in the middle of nowhere, so I wouldn't need to overbuild a system (which is my tendency). We just don't want to run out of juice if we spend a long weekend in a single location.

To that end, what would you recommend I add and which specific products do you prefer and why?

Thanks!!!

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:13 AM

Lots of current builds on this site, and regardless of tech, the principles remain the same.

1) Monitoring with a good shunt based system is essential to know what is going on and what needs to be changed

2) Maximum length of time you will be out without charging possible... sounds like 3 days in your case?

3) Total load you are putting on the system (#1 helps with this!)

4) Battery AH capacity you have available

5) Budget

6) Your tech ability ... is this DIY or are you taking it to a shop?

Vic

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:34 AM

What are you planning to run off the solar? I get by with 60 watts but run my fridge on propane. We run the fridge fan, LED lights, cpap,  and charge cell phones off the house battery, plus we're on the road every few days so the truck provides charging as well. My system was already installed when I bought the camper but if I was doing myself I would put at least a 120 watt system in place and will probably expand someday for quicker charge times or less than optimal sun conditions. Vic is on target with his advise.

#4 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:05 AM

As it sits, it has very few sources for draw, essentially lights, fan,and phone/pad charging. I'd like to add external lights though. For now, three days without driving is the most I can foresee. My biggest issue as it stands is that I'm handy enough, but my electrical knowledge is very limited. I really need a good primer because I don't know what this: "a good shunt based system" even is. ;) As you know, it isn't rocket science. But so many things have an assumed knowledge base. I need a foundation. 

Edited by eyemgh, 09 August 2020 - 03:19 AM.

#5 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:19 AM

I am in a similar deal. Low draw, a few lights, 12 cooler and phone, camera battery recharge. I went with a 160wt overland solar flex panel, a 75/15 victron controller and 50ahr battle born lipo battery. I wanted a light, efficient, expandable system and while expensive, i saved by installing myself with zero experience. Solar is low voltage so pretty hard to damage anything if you do anything wrong. .

#6 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:26 AM

Lots of current builds on this site

Is this one of those pun things?   :huh:

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:30 AM

Is this one of those pun things?   :huh:

Could bee  :ph34r:

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:37 AM

As it sits, it has very few sources for draw, essentially lights, fan,and phone/pad charging. I'd like to add external lights though. For now, three days without driving is the most I can foresee. My biggest issue as it stands is that I'm handy enough, but my electrical knowledge is very limited. I really need a good primer because I don't know what this: "a good shunt based system" even is. ;) As you know, it isn't rocket science. But so many things have an assumed knowledge base. I need a foundation. 

Understood.  Are you prepared to read?  We have a whole forum dedicated to all things sparky https://www.wanderth...and-generators/

Oldhotrod laid out a pretty basic/good system.  What he didn't talk about is that shunt-thingy you asked about too.  A shunt is an electrical dodad that goes in the ground wire of the system.  It allows a meter to measure every drop of electricity that goes into and out of your battery.  Without it, you are just guessing as to what state your battery is in.

Voltmeters CAN work, but not under conditions most of us use our campers in.  They are only usable if the battery is disconnected from any load/charge for a few hours, so you can measure the "settled" state of the battery. 

Victron gear is what I use, and several others here are really liking it too.  The Victron BMV-712 is the bluetooth enabled version... very nice piece of kit.  

Keep asking questions.... 

#9 dlmlynch

dlmlynch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

Understood.  Are you prepared to read?  We have a whole forum dedicated to all things sparky https://www.wanderth...and-generators/

Oldhotrod laid out a pretty basic/good system.  What he didn't talk about is that shunt-thingy you asked about too.  A shunt is an electrical dodad that goes in the ground wire of the system.  It allows a meter to measure every drop of electricity that goes into and out of your battery.  Without it, you are just guessing as to what state your battery is in.

Voltmeters CAN work, but not under conditions most of us use our campers in.  They are only usable if the battery is disconnected from any load/charge for a few hours, so you can measure the "settled" state of the battery. 

Victron gear is what I use, and several others here are really liking it too.  The Victron BMV-712 is the bluetooth enabled version... very nice piece of kit.  

Keep asking questions.... 

Vic,  If I were using a Victron MPPT 100 20 smart solar charge controller would I still need the BMV-712?  Since the MPPT is bluetooth  you can just use your phone with the app for battery monitoring.  Hope I'm not stealing the thread just wanting clarification.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

Vic,  If I were using a Victron MPPT 100 20 smart solar charge controller would I still need the BMV-712?  Since the MPPT is bluetooth  you can just use your phone with the app for battery monitoring.  Hope I'm not stealing the thread just wanting clarification.

not stealing, and a very good question.  The two devices do very different things.  The Victron charge controller will inform you what charge state it is in... bulk, absorption, float, etc.  It cannot really tell you what % SOC the battery is in.  So, for example, after using the battery for a few days in the shade, the sun comes out.  The charger says "BULK" and is feeding good amps to your battery.  What SOC is the battery at?  If only 30%, you may want to know that so you don't put a big load on it until it is up to say 80%, which might still be in bulk mode.  

I hope others might be able add more info here... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users