21 replies to this topic

#1 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:08 PM

Okay, after many years of using my  trusty old Spot 2 GPS tracker, the idea of being able to text from anywhere finially won me over. It may be more expensive than what I like, but when you throw in the help "SOS" button, the super 3AAA type come and get you anywhere coverage, the "I'm Okay" button,sat. tracking and all the rest ---I did it. Maybe it is the times or what ever, and with all the new problems facing us out there these days, I'm glad I did it. Now if  I can figure out how it works and how to make my thumbs work the texting part, I should be at least a little bit safer! Any suggestions, thoughts, helpful hints or what ever, on the Spot X would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:41 AM

Smoke, good on you for getting a satellite communicator.  Since I have InReach, I can’t help, but suspect that Professor Youtube will have a good lecture or two.

I am haunted by waters

#3 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:54 AM

I recently moved up to the SPOT X too. Been on 3 long trips since then. So far messaging and canned messages are working as designed. The check in process is easier too. I also must have fat fingers ;0 so I use a blunt key to use the functions. I really like the low battery warning and USB charging.

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Let us know how it works for you, may have to up grade my Spot

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

Good for you, Smoke & Timber! You don't have that old handheld radio anymore and always wondering if you can hit a repeater. Most of the people we know that started out with the original SPOT have upgraded to the next generation with no regrets at all.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:24 AM

I backpack solo and have been resisting this purchase in part because I had no idea who I would send "I'm Okay" to anyway. Now I do have a housemate but since it will be her house if I never return I am not sure she cares. Yeah - that sounds terrible. It has been one of those days - 

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:28 AM

I backpack solo and have been resisting this purchase in part because I had no idea who I would send "I'm Okay" to anyway. Now I do have a housemate but since it will be her house if I never return I am not sure she cares. Yeah - that sounds terrible. It has been one of those days - 

Consider finding a WTW member or two to share your trips with, and help get assistance launched if you need some non emergent help.

Sorry about the bad day!

I am haunted by waters

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:19 AM

Let me know via PM if you want a contact that gives a hoot. 

Edited by AWG_Pics, 13 August 2020 - 01:19 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:16 PM

You know teledork, when I first posted this thread, I thought about situations like what happened to you. I mean, with the Spot 10(not the spot 2)-if you had someone to send it to-you could set up some a system when you were in danger, where you could you could text a simple code-like "D" maybe with simple descriptions/lic # of rigs, ect, that would be passed on to law enforcement if you didn't send a follow up code in a specific amount of time----an then show your Spot to who ever is bothering you and tell them that. maybe it will stop them, if not, it may help catch the bad guys-just a thought. And yes as someone said above , there are enough of us out and about that might be willing to take your Okay, or emergency transmission. I don't know if this site is set up for situations like that, but it migft br worth a discussion here!  That help a bit?

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 13 August 2020 - 05:18 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

You know teledork, when I first posted this thread, I thought about situations like what happened to you. I mean, with the Spot 10(not the spot 2)-if you had someone to send it to-you could set up some a system when you were in danger, where you could you could text a simple code-like "D" maybe with simple descriptions/lic # of rigs, ect, that would be passed on to law enforcement if you didn't send a follow up code in a specific amount of time----an then show your Spot to who ever is bothering you and tell them that. maybe it will stop them, if not, it may help catch the bad guys-just a thought. And yes as someone said above , there are enough of us out and about that might be willing to take your Okay, or emergency transmission. I don't know if this site is set up for situations like that, but it migft br worth a discussion here!  That help a bit?

Smoke

I hear you. 

I hear all of you. Thank you. 

Edited by teledork, 13 August 2020 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users