21 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

I think this is an important discussion, here’s my 2¢.  

Emergency situations of any nature are exactly that.  As well intentioned as we are and want to be, I would not want to reach out to a friend to respond to an emergency.  The panic SOS to Spot or InReach is going to be our best friend to get help in that situation.  Maybe a follow up message to a friend would be helpful, but I wouldn’t expect or rely upon an immediate response.  Not everyone has their phone or email going all the time.

Several folks here on WTW share locations where we camp and all is well kinds of messages amongst ourselves and with friends/family.  If there was a call for help because of a vehicle or gear issue, that’s when the network would swing into action.  Same would go for assistance after an emergency.

My recommendation is to use the above mentioned model as an example for others to use and probably improve upon.

I am haunted by waters

#12 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

After reading this thread I ordered a SPOT Gen 3.  It's the most basic model but is currently priced at $99 so I couldn't pass it up.

My use case also involves traveling solo much of the time, but my wife is at home as an emergency contact.  The issue is that I often plan trips of indeterminate length and am outside of cell phone coverage.  I plan to set up a message that tells my wife that I plan to stay out one day longer.  I can send that message each day if needed.  I can also check in daily to reassure here that I'm OK.

I'm a bit confused by Sagebrush's comments above.  I thought that emergency SOS messages went to a central SAR coordination facility.  Is this not true?  Why would you need to contact a fiend in that case?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:03 AM

I'll add two and a half cents here and this is based on real world experience, including the two of us being the ones who responded to calls to go out find and rescue people -  in the winter mountains on skis for over 25 years. Think about the worse winter mountain conditions you can imagine - been there, done that. Happy we could help, don't miss it one bit. Never thought of it as a fun activity, responding to someone's tragedy.

We have the InReach version of satellite communicator, but from what I understand, the new SPOT X has similar capabilities now.

We have two friends signed up as our emergency contacts. From experience, when the SOS message is sent, the dispatch center calls either of them to confirm it is an emergency. If dispatch cannot reach either of them immediately, the emergency is still immediately handed over to the local authorities. In California, the County Sheriff is responsible for search & rescue except in the National Parks.

Our two contacts have the same experience as us. They know how the system works - and how to help it along. Their job is to be our advocates, provide solid information about us and our activities and abilities, and make sure we get help. I am the emergency contact for both of them. As soon as I hear their SOS has been pushed, I'm going into action. These are people who would go anywhere to help us. We, without hesitation would do the same for them.

For responses to non emergency incidents, we'll work that out through the device's text messaging. And, we've discussed many possible scenarios.

I hope this information helps.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:26 AM

After reading this thread I ordered a SPOT Gen 3.  It's the most basic model but is currently priced at $99 so I couldn't pass it up.

My use case also involves traveling solo much of the time, but my wife is at home as an emergency contact.  The issue is that I often plan trips of indeterminate length and am outside of cell phone coverage.  I plan to set up a message that tells my wife that I plan to stay out one day longer.  I can send that message each day if needed.  I can also check in daily to reassure here that I'm OK.

I'm a bit confused by Sagebrush's comments above.  I thought that emergency SOS messages went to a central SAR coordination facility.  Is this not true?  Why would you need to contact a fiend in that case?

Sorry to confuse the issue. Yes, a SOS goes to the vendor coordination facility.   My comment about contacting a friend was meant to be after the SOS is sent, so they could provide needed follow up assistance, for example a ride home.  Apologies.

I am haunted by waters

#15 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I don’t think anyone needs to contact a “fiend” as I mistakenly wrote. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#16 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

Use Garmin in reach system. SOS would be for just that, a major, I or a companion need SAR type help. Thinking major medical, severe fall, avalanche with entrainment of party member, etc. I use the “free”  preconfigured texts for staying here, I am here/back to this spot, and departing this spot. Anything in between, such as stuck in a ditch, need a tow/ extraction, I would use the text feature, and who cares what it costs in messaging at that point, the extraction is gonna be the big expense in that scenario. It is also really helpful if there is a companion app such as Garmin has to make typing easier than on the device itself.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#17 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:07 PM

I'll add two and a half cents here and this is based on real world experience, including the two of us being the ones who responded to calls to go out find and rescue people -  in the winter mountains on skis for over 25 years. Think about the worse winter mountain conditions you can imagine - been there, done that. Happy we could help, don't miss it one bit. Never thought of it as a fun activity, responding to someone's tragedy.

We have the InReach version of satellite communicator, but from what I understand, the new SPOT X has similar capabilities now.

We have two friends signed up as our emergency contacts. From experience, when the SOS message is sent, the dispatch center calls either of them to confirm it is an emergency. If dispatch cannot reach either of them immediately, the emergency is still immediately handed over to the local authorities. In California, the County Sheriff is responsible for search & rescue except in the National Parks.

Our two contacts have the same experience as us. They know how the system works - and how to help it along. Their job is to be our advocates, provide solid information about us and our activities and abilities, and make sure we get help. I am the emergency contact for both of them. As soon as I hear their SOS has been pushed, I'm going into action. These are people who would go anywhere to help us. We, without hesitation would do the same for them.

For responses to non emergency incidents, we'll work that out through the device's text messaging. And, we've discussed many possible scenarios.

I hope this information helps.

I think it is appropriate to add the following:

These devices do not guarantee that help can reach you in time or get you out in time in the event of an emergency.

It is essential that appropriate planning and precautions are taken when going to remote places such as:

- Checking the weather forecast and heeding warnings (hot or cold, rain, wind etc).

- Carry adequate food and water - not only in the camper but on you when hiking - plan for delayed return (disoriented, unplanned side trip, twisted ankle, whatever) and take extra water and energy bars.

- Carry up to date maps and a compass (batteries and electronics can and do fail). 

- Know how to use the compass.

- Seek out and listen to local advice from knowledgeable local sources such as Rangers, guides and outfitters.

- Be mindful of your abilities and explore within your physical and equipment limitations.

- Have spares, extra food and water, defined plans shared with trusted people, emergency communication, etc. in case of unplanned problems.

- Don't take risks assuming your cell phone or emergency communicator will help if things go sideways.  

- Always assume you will need to get yourself out if things break or there is an emergency, before venturing out - particularly if not travelling with a group/multiple vehicles.

Edited by ckent323, 18 August 2020 - 10:41 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for adding this. Yes, the game plan is always to be as prepared and self sufficient as possible. Always carry the 10 essentials.

I think it is appropriate to add the following:

These devices do not guarantee that help can reach you in time or get you out in time in the event of an emergency.

It is essential that appropriate planning and precautions are taken when going to remote places such as:

- Checking the weather forecast and heeding warnings (hot or cold, rain, wind etc).

- Carry adequate food and water - not only in the camper but on you when hiking - plan for delayed return (disoriented, unplanned side trip, twisted ankle, whatever) and take extra water and energy bars.

- Carry up to date maps and a compass (batteries and electronics can and do fail). 

- Know how to use the compass.

- Seek out and listen to local advice from knowledgeable local sources such as Rangers, guides and outfitters.

- Be mindful of your abilities and explore within your physical and equipment limitations.

- Have spares, extra food and water, defined plans shared with trusted people, emergency communication, etc. in case of unplanned problems.

- Don't take risks assuming your cell phone or emergency communicator will help if things go sideways.  

- Always assume you will need to get yourself out if things break or there is an emergency, before venturing out - particularly if not travelling with a group/multiple vehicles.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:39 AM

We were out for 4 days on a back country packing trip.  Saw lots of extreme runners out doing 30-50 km runs.  Looked like not much gear on them.  I do wonder what they would do when up at 9000' in the Canadian Rockies with a twisted ankle.   :blink:

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:34 AM

We were out for 4 days on a back country packing trip.  Saw lots of extreme runners out doing 30-50 km runs.  Looked like not much gear on them.  I do wonder what they would do when up at 9000' in the Canadian Rockies with a twisted ankle.   :blink:

Possibly, something like this:

https://www.garmin.c...h-sos-incident/

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users