#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:06 PM

...Where's the maiden voyage?   :)  

Mr 3pin, I'm not sure where first... someplace local and easy -- mainly to get the feel of the rig and its systems.  I should find a campground with "hookups", since that aspect is the most new to me...including the dark and terrifying "blackwater".   :unsure:

After maidenhood is past  :P my first big trip will be (so I plan) a return this fall to the deep and watery South/East -- same areas I visited last fall with my FWC.  That area still intrigues me so much...and I have a new kayak -- more versatile than what I enjoyed last year.

The trailer will allow me a type of flexibility and convenience I didn't have with the truck-camper. It was inconvenient for [lazy and solo] me to have to stow all my stuff away in the camper so that I could drive from my campsite a mile or few to a kayaking or hiking spot (or to the store, etc). What I like MOST about the trailer is that I can drive away from my "home" while leaving it fully deployed.

Of course, the camper has advantages over the trailer, too:  1) You don't have to tow anything!  2) It can be taken to anywhere my 4x4 truck can go -- including lava-crawling spots accessible only in 4-Lo, which I've done more than once.

So, I'm keeping the camper.  I can even imagine a scenario where I have the camper mounted on the truck (instead of the canopy I have now) while towing the trailer -- so that I have all options available.

My mother passed away this spring. After we get her house on the market (this month) I will have no commitments that pull me back to or keep me in Oregon and northern California. Longer-term exploration and adventures await me and my rig(s)! :)

...ummm....virus-permitting...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

Well the long awaited trailer arrival is here.

Looks great behind your truck.

It will be interesting as you use it to hear about your adventures.

Thanks for posting your pictures.

Enjoy the new rig.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

Blackwater tank tip #1.  Start with some gallons of water and chemical, thus avoiding the dreaded stalagmites that prevent you from rinsing the tank.  Tip #2  dump black tank first, then grey tank, thus somewhat rinsing the hose.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

Friends of ours just bought an Escape this summer too.  Nice rig

#15 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:27 PM

We also have a friend who has one and they love it. I’m sure you will too.

As far as the black tank I’m the last person to ask for advise due to the following true event that happened to me about 20 years ago...

After listening to me rant about how fantastic the Rockies were my three sisters (and their spouses and kids) all decided to join us on the following summer’s trip to Yellowstone by renting RV’s themselves. Of course, the Dumping of the Black Tank was a major topic with my brother in laws and myself...So I decided to go through the dump station first and with my BIL’s all standing near me proceeded to explain how simple the process was...Also, in the coach behind me were my 3 sisters all watching intently through the big windshield. Well I get everything hooked up and pull the black tank valve open. What I didn’t know was there were several sizable holes in the hose and suffice to say the #$%^ went everywhere including all over myself and BIL’s.

My sisters were dying laughing and they never let me forget it!  I guess I’m just happy that cell phone videos didn’t exist back then..

Edited by smlobx, 13 August 2020 - 11:13 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#16 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:57 PM

Boy, Mark you are getting civilized, but it sure looks nice and enjoy!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#17 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:45 PM

Hi Mark
Not having ever had a RV with the said black water tank. My tip or information comes from verbal stories. When hooked up do not leave the waste gate open, wait for tank to fill ( not necessarily full but with waste, so there is flow when dumping)
When traveling home after dumping put dishwashing soap in thank with water so it sloshes around and cleans. How much and is it bad to do I don’t know sorry.
I know Syma would love all the space, so maybe one day.
Have you seen the folding ORU Kayak, meat concept.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

Very nice size and looks well laid out.

Notice that it comes with sink in wet bath 

have never figured out why sink inside a small space when

you have a kitchen sink.

When we had our Tiger adventure 4x4 built we deleted

bath sink which gave out more room to shower!.

Looking forward to your new experiences on the road.

Enjoy, Leslqhikers 

#19 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:52 PM

Congrats! Very nice rig looks like a great camper to have on extended stays. 

#20 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:13 PM

Nice rig, Mark.  You're sure to enjoy it.  I'm with you on the relative merits of towing a camper trailer. Not a lot of fun in tight spaces, but it's nice to be able to drop the base camp and use the truck unfettered. We've much enjoyed ours for the last 7 years now and are enjoying it right now. one needs to be careful where one sticks one's nose, but we've been very happy with out hardside A-Frame popup, an A-Liner knockoff by Rockwood.

Edited by Foy, 14 August 2020 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users