• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Cool solution with the scissor lift! So is the stove and everything bolted down in that spot so you can travel with it there?

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#12 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:16 AM

This is a wicked cool idea

#13 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:34 AM

I am going to be the dissenter and say it is crazy.

CWDT

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

Innovative to say the least and while is does pose some issues it can supply heat without electricity [assuming it is NOT a pellet stove as was asked]....concur that with a fire box that size it out cook us out of the Hawk with all but the smallest fire.

Very clean and well thought out installation; congratulations....wish I had that talent!

Phil

Ps...Just me, but all 'air tight' wood stoves are never truly air tight...sooooo, in that small space I would have a sensitive top of the line carbon monoxide sniffer in the camper and of course keep a roof vent partially open, that is unless the chimney smoke can get sucked back inside...lastly my 'air tight' wood stove in our home requires an oxygen [air] source from the exterior because our home is well sealed...perhaps the roof vent would be sufficient.

Edited by Wallowa, 24 August 2020 - 04:05 PM.

#15 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

What Phil said plus firewood may be more difficult to source in the destination area than propane. Many areas do not want firewood being brought in from outside the area due to potential of invasive insects. And many areas do not allow local collecting of firewood.

Where do you store the ashcan? Hot embers in the ash could be an issue for CO and starting fires if stored outside the camper.

On the positive side, it is a dry heat and radiated heat seems better than just hot air. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:45 PM

What Phil said plus firewood may be more difficult to source in the destination area than propane. Many areas do not want firewood being brought in from outside the area due to potential of invasive insects. And many areas do not allow local collecting of firewood.

Where do you store the ashcan? Hot embers in the ash could be an issue for CO and starting fires if stored outside the camper.

On the positive side, it is a dry heat and radiated heat seems better than just hot air. 

Paul

If off the grid, not in town, wood to burn in that stove would be easy to find, not at a grocery store either ; even in the desert since not much is needed......heck a couple of presto logs [they still make them I assume] are clean to carry and would last a long time in a FWC...I have only seen wood stoves in old converted school buses; but why not a FWC is that fits your need?

Phil

#17 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

Ben,

After really reading your post and viewing your photos on Flick-r and under your name..I must say that you are a very talented individual!  With engineering and or machinist background I would guess [spare sheets of aluminum]...you basically took apart your Grandby and rebuilt it with up grades in what appears to be a meticulous fashion, not to mention the outstanding job you did on the wood stove and the mods to your truck...question: Cascades or RM or?  Can't place the terrain.

Anyway, for me this was inspirational to get me motivated to make improvements or modifications that I can envision, of course within my limited skill range!  As my old off road MC mentor used to say:  "Phil you need to buy three of those; one to break, one to lose and one to get it right"...so true.

Thanks for this post.....Phil

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Glad to see you following you own path .

I know from experience that a wood stove used 

as you do is a calming and relaxing feeling.

As someone who who lived in a converted step van for a while in the 

early 1970'S my wood stove was a part of our every day life!

Thanks for sharing.

Les,lqhikers

#19 DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

Loved seeing this post and install information. We also have a Cubic Mini Cub stove and have transferred it in and out of multiple vehicle/camper conversions we've done over the years.

We're just getting started on rehabbing a 1986 FWC Keystone model and are probably going to install the stove in this camper as well. We hadn't quite wrapped our head around where or how we wanted to install it, but already liked the same back corner by the door like you've chosen.

Cheers!

#20 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:56 PM

Nice job, Well thought out and very clean. 

It looks like you covered the roof on your FWC with a aftermarket product. What did you use? Thanks.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users