11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

Here's good news. New Fire restrictions for all public land in Nevada. This includes the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest area inside California in the eastern Sierra. All campfires are banned, even in developed campgrounds. Let's hope we see this all across California very soon.

joint-press-release-fire-restrictions-pa

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:18 PM

That's great.Hope people will follow this.

I hope the fines are very high.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:31 PM

That's great.Hope people will follow this.

I hope the fines are very high.

Frank

"Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire.................................An individual can be fined up to $5000 and/or six months in jail for illegal campfires. In addition, anyone found responsible for starting a wildfire can be held civilly and criminally liable."    

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:01 PM

Really?  What percentage of wildfires originate from campfires?  Just asking, I thought lightening strikes were #1....

Ps....I stand corrected human causes 85% of causes but many causes besides campfires..

Humans and Wildfire

Nearly 85 percent* of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans. Human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, equipment use and malfunctions, negligently discarded cigarettes, and intentional acts of arson.

*Source: 2000-2017 data based on Wildland Fire Management Information (WFMI) and U.S. Forest Service Research Data Archive

PPs...If this is accurate only 5% of wildfires are caused by campfires; bold font below is not mine...but hey, keep your masks handy..

• five percent

A study published in 2017 in the journal PNAS found that, at the national level, debris burning is responsible for 29 percent of wildfires and arson causes 21 percent of fires. Campfires accounted for just five percent, the study found.
    Was this helpful?

• PEOPLE ALSO ASK
    What percentage or forest fires are caused by campfires?
    What are the causes of wildfires?
    What percent of wildfires are wildland fires?
    What is the percentage of fires caused by debris burning?

Edited by Wallowa, 11 August 2020 - 11:17 PM.

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

From Smithsonian citing PNAS :  My bold font.  5% campfires includes 'children playing with fireworks or matches' [how does that make sense?]...but considering that a campfire prohibition is a nice easy stroke that appears to stop wildfires it makes folks feel safe since those at the helm are doing something meaningful.

"Rice reports that debris burning starts the most human-caused fires, at 29 percent, with arson the cause of 21 percent of fires. Equipment use causes 11 percent of fires, while campfires and children playing with fireworks or matches each cause 5 percent of fires. The Fourth of July, predictably, is the biggest day for wildfires, with 7,762 fires ignited on that date over the 21-year study period."

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

on.jsp?ca=c6c3f1d9-31f4-4a64-a537-9183ad
ba70ce76-db29-45d9-9608-33a8688449ac.jpg

U.S. Forest Service 
Eldorado National Forest 
100 Forni Road 
Placerville, CA 95667 
530-303-2412
f13f1819-ace3-4afb-8bfb-7ffbe3ac6671.png
News Release
For Immediate Release
August 11, 2020
Media Contact:
Jennifer Chapman, (530) 957-9660
Twitter:@EldoradoNF
94f42aa8-c6e2-4f46-a951-d57057df34ab.png
1-ALLOWED: Visitors made a campfire in a metal fire ring at Loon Lake Campground where they had reserved a campsite.
2-ILLEGAL: This campfire in a rock fire ring at a primitive dispersed campsite was extinguished by a fire prevention officer.
3-GAS FIRE ALTERNATIVE: Gas stoves and gas fire pits are allowed if you have a California Campfire Permit. 
Smokey Bear Challenge: A record number of illegal campfires are occuring despite fire restrictions
PLACERVILLE, Calif. - Fire and law enforcement officers had another busy weekend contacting a record numbers of visitors about campfires they had made that are not allowed under the current fire restrictions in the Eldorado National Forest.

“We are really excited to have so many new people visiting the forest for the first time,” said Forest Supervisor Jeff Marsolais. “Now more than ever, being outdoors is playing an important role in our lives. Our national forests are open and we want to welcome everyone to come out and enjoy them. But right now, traditional campfires are too much of a risk, given the weather conditions in California.”

What are the fire restrictions?

• Making a campfire, stove fire or barbeque with wood or charcoal is only allowed at developed recreation sites that are listed in the forest order. Typically, these designated sites are established campgrounds with numbered campsites, a metal fire ring, and a campground host.

• If you possess a California Campfire Permit (available online) you may use a gas-powered portable campfire pit, stove or lantern with an on/off switch, in an area cleared at least 3 feet by 3 feet.

• Making a campfire outside of a designated developed area, such as in a rock ring at a primitive dispersed campsite, is prohibited. The fine for making an illegal campfire is up to $5,000 for an individual, or $10,000 for an organization.

Did they see the signs?

Electronic message boards on forest roads, and on Highways 50, 88 and 89; bright yellow and red fire restrictions signs; and information boards throughout the forest alert visitors that campfires are not allowed. Either there is confusion because there are so many first time visitors or people are ignoring the signs. Please do your part. Recreate responsibly.

###
The U.S.D.A Forest Service is an equal opportunity employer. The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.

US Forest Service - Eldorado NF | 100 Forni Rd., Placerville, CA 95667 Unsubscribe montehendricks@comcast.net Update Profile | About our service provider Sent by eldoradonfconnections@gmail.com powered by Logo_Blue_Orange.png

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

Good news. The causes are really variable regionally also. For instance where I worked, Lassen/Modoc lightning was the primary source of wildfires. Obviously in a more highly populated area human caused fires will be the primary source. 

I didn't have a campfire at Dillon but my camper still smells like smoke thanks to everyone else. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:00 AM

...but considering that a campfire prohibition is a nice easy stroke that appears to stop wildfires it makes folks feel safe since those at the helm are doing something meaningful.

So if I am reading this correctly you're of the opinion that 5% of wildfires caused by campfires is not significant enough for restrictions to be anything more than "feel safe"?

If that is so I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of wildfire caused by campfires would be significant for you because I live in the very flammable region where these restrictions are being imposed and ANY reduction in risk - however small - is a blessing to those of us who live in this region.  

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

I’m more than willing to forgo what I consider an “outdoor ambiance feel good” activity, at least during the most dangerous times of the year. I live in an area plagued by wildfires, virtually none of them started by campfires. But I frequently visit, and own a cabin, in an area where campfires do create a potential issue during certain times of the year. A 5% reduction in unintentional starts seems worth the temporary restriction to me.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:59 PM

Also get fires that start from target shooters bullets. Homeless people too. And some people still find the need to burn toilet paper. Years ago there was a major fire from kids setting lizards on fire. Recent to the north was a fire from a trailer with a flat tire sparking 2 fires. I'm sure there are other stories.....

Hike the Tahoe Rim Trail and there are illegal fire rings all over the place. 

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users