Photo

Any reason to not put house battery in engine compartment?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:39 PM

I have gmc 1500, and it has a battery tray available in the engine bay.  maybe the diesels use 2 batteries.  anyway, i know i would need more wire length to go from the engine compartment back to the camper.  my camper won't be requiring a lot electrical power - a minimal build.  i know you use some ?? amperage?? with the longer length of battery cable, but i don't think it would be substantial.  am i right ??

thx

greg

Oregon

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:28 AM

Voltage drop can be kept to a minimum with the correct wire size. If you plan on using solar to recharge the house battery you need to increase the wire size from the controller(if the controller is in the camper) to the battery or a tie in point to the house battery circuit as well to prevent volt drop there also.

Edited by Beach, 14 August 2020 - 07:20 PM.

#3 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

Thx

Oregon

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 August 2020 - 01:27 AM

I have gmc 1500, and it has a battery tray available in the engine bay.  maybe the diesels use 2 batteries.  anyway, i know i would need more wire length to go from the engine compartment back to the camper.  my camper won't be requiring a lot electrical power - a minimal build.  i know you use some ?? amperage?? with the longer length of battery cable, but i don't think it would be substantial.  am i right ??

thx

greg

Beach has made some good suggestions.  Trade offs all around depending on where the batteries are.  My LBZ diesel has a second battery there.  Good place for a house battery.  Go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users