Photo
- - - - -

Hawk on Short Bed & Suspension Upgrades?

Hawk Raven Suspension Short Bed Ram 1500 Ram Rebel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EP34FR

EP34FR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

Prospective FWC buyer, looking to get either a Raven or Hawk Shell model, and am trying to as much research as I can.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Rebel.  Front & rear coil springs & factory air suspension.  GAWR = 3900lbs for both the front and rear, with a max payload of 1075lbs.

I'll most likely have to upgrade the rear coil springs to something like the TufTruck HD Coil Springs (which have a rating of 2550lbs).

As far as Hawk vs. Raven...  the Rebel's bed is 67", tailgate down adds another 23.5".  Anyone have a 5'-7" bed that they placed a Hawk in?  Tailgate on or off?  Any center of gravity, or other, issues?  While I know the Raven will fit, I kinda like those extra 10" the Hawk offers.  You can never have enough storage space!

#2 RC1107

RC1107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:23 PM

HI EP34FR,

While I don't have a 4WC (yet) I do own a 2017 Ram Rebel 1500.  Mine will never have a 4WC on it as it has the Rambox...but I've always understood that the factory air suspension is not a good match for a payload like a truck camper.

As you noted the max payload is 1075lbs, which is low....especially when you start outfitting and putting extra camping stuff onto the truck/camper.

I plan on going with a 2500/3500 in a couple years when I retire and start traveling. 

I'm sure someone else will chime in...and maybe they have more info.  I'm just passing on what I've read. 

Depending on what people here say (agree or disagree with me) it would be feasible I'm sure to side trade to another 1500 without air suspension and do a few suspension upgrades.  Used Rebel's are strong in the aftermarket from what I've seen.

Good luck with your build!

#3 RC1107

RC1107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

https://fourwheelcam...r-installation/

Forgot to add that link from 4WC'er website.  Towards the bottom they don't recommend the air shocks/suspension.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, Raven, Suspension, Short Bed, Ram 1500, Ram Rebel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users