• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:04 PM

We are planning a trip to be in Alaska in August of 2021 probably for most of the month. Currently 3 couples in 3 vehicles. Reasonably experienced travelers but none of us has driven to AK. Myself and my wife were there last year for 2 weeks so have an idea what we want to see and where to go but not set in stone. We are leaving from Texas... each of us "may" have our own schedule to get there and possibly plan on a meetup there. I am asking for any input on must sees, must avoids and so on. If you have been and don't plan on going again, in the near future, I'd like to purchase your maps? Also any recommended routes through Canada appreciated... either going up or coming back.

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

The “Milepost” map is essential. The Kenai peninsula is wonderful. Take a trip out on Resurrection Bay from Seward. Homer too is great to stock up on smoked salmon and halibut down on the spit. We went in 2017 driving from New England.
Top the world highway is beautiful.
If you’d like to see our route and journal I kept a blog (blogs are organized latest first so to read through go to last page and move forward)

http://alaskan-yukon...ogspot.com/?m=1

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Have you driven through Alberta and BC before?  What are your interests along the way?  We're planning a trip up to the Yukon and NWT in 2021, maybe Alaska if the border is open by then.  I am planning around hiking/canoeing opportunities and would be glad to share what I've come up with so far.

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:51 PM

I would definitely be interested in tagging along. Should be retired and open by then :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

You definitely need the "bible" Mile Post.Even if you can find a used one not much changes every few years.

Also just about every town/village/fuel stop has a info/visitors center.Always a huge wealth of info.

Buckland 's info about Seward/Homer right on.Also check out my trip blog there are 3 Alaska trips to view.

2 were with the camper one tenting.

You can cut down on the driving if you want to take the Alaska ferry.

I found taking the ferry north from Bellingham ,Washington to Haines then driving north to start the trip works.

Then you can take your time to drive home.

The ferry trip is really great.You get to see a lot of the inside passage.

Our two camper trips 2011 5 weeks/2016 6 weeks got us to the Kenai area in 2016 and Denali both trips.

The top of the world hwy and the Dempster are great drives also.

So much to do you lots to see.

Have fun planing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

Are you sure 'most of a month' is enough time?  That would be a lot of windshield time relative to adventuring time.    That trip is about 4000 miles each way without detours - so 8 days of driving each way until your butt goes numb, leaving less than 2 weeks to actually explore Alaska.   It is hard not to stop in Alberta/BC/Yukon/NWT, leaving you even less time in AK.

It is a wonderful trip and we did a few years ago in our wildernest, however we felt super pressed for time even with an 11 week trip. 

One way to help with this is to take the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) back to Prince Rupert, it is a fun and scenic voyage through the inside passage.  You can get a cabin or pitch a tent on the deck of the ferry. 

Either way, you will have fun, but more time would be better (isn't that always the case).

Edited by rando, 18 August 2020 - 08:39 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:00 PM

Unfortunately I think the Pr Rupert ferry may not be a choice.

The AMH has been messing with that route. The state is cutting back on funding.

Might change next year.This year the rearranged route I think was every other week.

Anyway yes that is a great alternative to driving the whole way.

Of our 5 trips we used the ferry as much as possible.

It did give us more time not driving and more time checking places out.

Our last trip 2016 was 6 weeks gave us enough time for what we planed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:33 PM

. . . We're planning a trip up to the Yukon and NWT in 2021, maybe Alaska if the border is open by then.  I am planning around hiking/canoeing opportunities and would be glad to share what I've come up with so far.

I would definitely be interested in tagging along. Should be retired and open by then :)

I also am planning a trip to Tuktoyaktuk in the summer/early fall of 2021, assuming all things clear up by then.  Then to Rangell-St. Elias and Kluane NPs and back home through Jasper, et.al.

Coming from Minnesota and returning through Montana.

I planned this trip for 2019 but things didn't work out.  It would be fun to meet up and travel with others from here.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:27 AM

if you can include McCarthy, and the wrangel elias np, that place is unbelievable. the glaciers, and the old kennecot copper mine is something to behold. the only bad part, its a bit of a haul to get out there. my friend put it on our itinerary, and i kept complainine about all the driving, but it was so worth it.  the glaciers, the mine, the mtns. first rate . we had beers on the porch of the national park.... hotel ?  looking out at the glaciers. its amazing.

Oregon

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:54 AM

The “Milepost” map is essential. The Kenai peninsula is wonderful. Take a trip out on Resurrection Bay from Seward. Homer too is great to stock up on smoked salmon and halibut down on the spit. We went in 2017 driving from New England.
Top the world highway is beautiful.
If you’d like to see our route and journal I kept a blog (blogs are organized latest first so to read through go to last page and move forward)

http://alaskan-yukon...ogspot.com/?m=1

I will order Milepost today. I will also use your blog as a starting and planning point.

Have you driven through Alberta and BC before?  What are your interests along the way?  We're planning a trip up to the Yukon and NWT in 2021, maybe Alaska if the border is open by then.  I am planning around hiking/canoeing opportunities and would be glad to share what I've come up with so far.

I enjoyed BC but never driven through, I would love it if you'd share what you come up with :)

I will keep you posted always enjoy company :)

You definitely need the "bible" Mile Post.Even if you can find a used one not much changes every few years.

Also just about every town/village/fuel stop has a info/visitors center.Always a huge wealth of info.

Buckland 's info about Seward/Homer right on.Also check out my trip blog there are 3 Alaska trips to view.

2 were with the camper one tenting.

You can cut down on the driving if you want to take the Alaska ferry.

I found taking the ferry north from Bellingham ,Washington to Haines then driving north to start the trip works.

Then you can take your time to drive home.

The ferry trip is really great.You get to see a lot of the inside passage.

Our two camper trips 2011 5 weeks/2016 6 weeks got us to the Kenai area in 2016 and Denali both trips.

The top of the world hwy and the Dempster are great drives also.

So much to do you lots to see.

Have fun planing.

Frank

Frank, I will check the blog and thanks for the Ferry info

Are you sure 'most of a month' is enough time?  That would be a lot of windshield time relative to adventuring time.    That trip is about 4000 miles each way without detours - so 8 days of driving each way until your butt goes numb, leaving less than 2 weeks to actually explore Alaska.   It is hard not to stop in Alberta/BC/Yukon/NWT, leaving you even less time in AK.

It is a wonderful trip and we did a few years ago in our wildernest, however we felt super pressed for time even with an 11 week trip. 

One way to help with this is to take the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) back to Prince Rupert, it is a fun and scenic voyage through the inside passage.  You can get a cabin or pitch a tent on the deck of the ferry. 

Either way, you will have fun, but more time would be better (isn't that always the case).

My wife and I are retired so not stuck with schedule but other two couples each have one partner still working. The plan is a month inside the Alaska border. We will probably each take different routes and time to meetup there. Will not rush leaving too early.

Edited by XJINTX, 19 August 2020 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users