28 replies to this topic

#11 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

We just returned from our trip to AK from VA. The trip was 10 weeks total and given some of the Covid restrictions I feel like we saw/did everything we could have done. Our original plan was for 12 weeks.

As stated above the Milepost is THE BIBLE and should be referred to daily. If you look at the map you quickly realize that there aren’t a lot of roads in Alaska so just drive all of them! But seriously, some of the things we did that stick out to me were:

McCarthy/ Kenecott Mine/ Wrangell, St. Elias NP

Kenai Peninsula just try to minimize your travels from Friday through Sunday

Homer Spit !!!

Denali NP

The Denali Hgwy/ Deadhorse

Something that I would skip would be Manley Hot Springs on your return trip from Deadhorse primarily because the lady who owned the Springs died a couple of years ago and the place is completely overgrown and not usable. Plus the road was 60 miles of rough washboards (think the DV road to the Racetrack)

We spent several days on the Homer spit mainly because it was a jumping off point for several excursions that we took including an incredible marine life viewing day cruise in which we saw several species of whales, seals and bird life. We also took a bush plane to Katmai NP landing on the beach and walking into “The Bear Garden” where we walked among no fewer than 40 Coastal Brown Bears! An experience I’m not sure my heart could stand again but would go back in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Our original plans were to drive to Prince Rupert BC and take the ferry up to Haines but the AMHS was a complete mess this year. First they decided to cancel stopping in Prince Rupert so they switched us to Bellingham which was ok. Then they postponed our trip by a month which was not ok so we cancelled and drove up. The truth of the matter is that BC and Alberta are beautiful and well worth the drive. There are also two different routes, the Alcan and the Cassiar Highways so you’ll still have something to see. One note about traveling through the Yukon the roads are rough! Be sure to take your time if you can and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

We also stayed in Fairbanks and Anchorage a couple of times to reprovision as the prices and availability were the best.

Another note about driving the “Haul Road” to Prudoe Bay. We were advised that we needed 2 spares and would get our windshield cracked. The truth of the matter is that in almost 15k miles of driving, several thousand of which were on gravel roads we did not get any flats or any windshield cracks. Our tires had less than 5K on them when we left and the Toyo ATIII did amazingly well. When on the haul road the trucks (and there were a lot of them) have the right of way so it is in your best interest to slow down and pull over as much as possible which we did. To our surprise every trucker, except one, did the same thing. Curtesy is alive and well !

Here’s a couple of my favorite pictures. Did I mention the fishing??

Attached Thumbnails

• F4A49B5D-4A4C-415D-B8F0-C96488938DC0.jpeg
  • 08CD5BC4-F547-4E6C-AD87-64ADB7A81484.jpeg

Edited by smlobx, 19 August 2020 - 03:07 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#12 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:05 PM

Just called MilePost and their 2021 version comes out in March. I will order a new one then... not sure how much will change but wife asked we wait. If ANY OF YOU have an older version you want to sell please let me know as I'd love to start getting familiar with it :)

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

I’d call Milepost back and also buy the digital version. I put it on my iPad and it is great as one can zoom in on maps. Etc... great for those who need glasses for small print.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:05 PM

I’d call Milepost back and also buy the digital version. I put it on my iPad and it is great as one can zoom in on maps. Etc... great for those who need glasses for small print.

Did not see they have digital version... I will add that for my Tablet. I use GAIA and Maps.me if anybody, hint hint, has a .kml or .kmz ;)

#15 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:04 AM

We just returned from our trip to AK from VA. The trip was 10 weeks total and given some of the Covid restrictions I feel like we saw/did everything we could have done. Our original plan was for 12 weeks.

As stated above the Milepost is THE BIBLE and should be referred to daily. If you look at the map you quickly realize that there aren’t a lot of roads in Alaska so just drive all of them! But seriously, some of the things we did that stick out to me were:

McCarthy/ Kenecott Mine/ Wrangell, St. Elias NP

Kenai Peninsula just try to minimize your travels from Friday through Sunday

Homer Spit !!!

Denali NP

The Denali Hgwy/ Deadhorse

Something that I would skip would be Manley Hot Springs on your return trip from Deadhorse primarily because the lady who owned the Springs died a couple of years ago and the place is completely overgrown and not usable. Plus the road was 60 miles of rough washboards (think the DV road to the Racetrack)

We spent several days on the Homer spit mainly because it was a jumping off point for several excursions that we took including an incredible marine life viewing day cruise in which we saw several species of whales, seals and bird life. We also took a bush plane to Katmai NP landing on the beach and walking into “The Bear Garden” where we walked among no fewer than 40 Coastal Brown Bears! An experience I’m not sure my heart could stand again but would go back in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Our original plans were to drive to Prince Rupert BC and take the ferry up to Haines but the AMHS was a complete mess this year. First they decided to cancel stopping in Prince Rupert so they switched us to Bellingham which was ok. Then they postponed our trip by a month which was not ok so we cancelled and drove up. The truth of the matter is that BC and Alberta are beautiful and well worth the drive. There are also two different routes, the Alcan and the Cassiar Highways so you’ll still have something to see. One note about traveling through the Yukon the roads are rough! Be sure to take your time if you can and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

We also stayed in Fairbanks and Anchorage a couple of times to reprovision as the prices and availability were the best.

Another note about driving the “Haul Road” to Prudoe Bay. We were advised that we needed 2 spares and would get our windshield cracked. The truth of the matter is that in almost 15k miles of driving, several thousand of which were on gravel roads we did not get any flats or any windshield cracks. Our tires had less than 5K on them when we left and the Toyo ATIII did amazingly well. When on the haul road the trucks (and there were a lot of them) have the right of way so it is in your best interest to slow down and pull over as much as possible which we did. To our surprise every trucker, except one, did the same thing. Curtesy is alive and well !

Here’s a couple of my favorite pictures. Did I mention the fishing??

hey smlobx - which guides/charters did you use??

Oregon

#16 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

We went up to Alaska from central California last fall. We took 72 days for the total trip and got as far as the Chena River and Fairbanks. One thing to be aware of that impacted our trip were the historically bad Alaskan forest fires that occurred last year. We ended up modifying our intended travels such that we did not spend any time in SE Alaska at all; i.e., the Seward and Kenai Peninsulas, Homer, etc. The smoke was particularly bad in those areas and as far north as the southern edges of Denali NP. Even so, we still had several days with significant haze farther north. So it would behoove you to track any fire activity along your route through BC, Yukon, and Alaska.

We took the Cassiar Highway both going north and returning as the mountains along there appealed to us more than the flatter Alcan. While in BC, be sure to check out BC's Recreation Sites which are small and primitive but convenient and often in beautiful locations. The roads to them can be interesting but it keeps some riff-raff out. There is a government website that shows them all and the Milepost will list many of them that are relatively close to the most traveled highways. When not boondocking we used them the most. We often had them to ourselves if they were more than a few miles off the highway. All in all, we found all of the highways in great shape other than the frost-heaving which is everywhere. Keep an eye out for orange flags in many locations that give you a heads-up to where the bad ones are.

We only spent a bit less than three weeks in AK because we did not want to sprint through all of the real estate in between. We particularly enjoyed the Yukon experience as it seemed less crowded than everywhere else with spectacular country. If you do the Top of the World highway I recommend a side trip to Tombstone Park. Dawson City was also a must-see given all of its history. There is a decent, commercial, urban-like campground right in the middle of town and a much quieter and more natural forest campground across the Yukon River.

I'll go through my maps and stuff and throw out some more info when I get a chance. We would have loved to get back up that way again this year BUT....

Kluane Range Yukon.

Edited by daverave, 23 August 2020 - 06:46 PM.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#17 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

Well as usual I'm having difficulty posting images here so there is no viiew attached. :mad:

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:06 PM

We also have traveled a lot of the areas Daverave has reported.

I would make the same recommendations. Although we do use the Alaskan Marine Hwy.

We enjoy the change of pace on board the ferrys.

Dawson City and Tombstone park on the Dempster are worth visits.

The campground on the "left bank" at Dawson City is nice and quiet.

The ferry across the river is free.

If you want additional info you might contact member Robbie he lives in Watson Lake Yukon.

Stewert,Bc and Hyder,Ak. off the Cassiar Hwy are worth a visit.

The road out of Hyder along the Salmon river will take to the Salmon Glacier.

We haven't been that far up the road but another member has.

At the right time of year and a good salmon return,there is a great place to watch the spawning salmon

just outside town.

Have fun trip planing,hopefully next year things will return to near normal and you will be able to make that trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:08 AM

https://www.flickr.c...ds/49592290673/

Here's that Kluane Range shot in the Yukon. I concur with Casa about Stewart and Hyder, very worth it. We drove up to the lookout over the Salmon Glacier (along with a bunch of other folks) which is a longish, bumpy but plenty wide dirt/gravel/mud road. Spent a one night boondock there, one of the highlights of our trip but stake out a spot early in the afternoon or late morning.

Edited by daverave, 24 August 2020 - 12:13 AM.

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:17 AM

Beautiful picture of the Kluane Range.

Thanks
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users