26 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

Generally speaking I carry more than I'll ever need in my many emergency kits-but I always say having  is always better than not having when you need something! Well, as discussed here before, just replaced my old Spot2 with a Spot X.  I carry all the usual getting "Unstuck Stuff" like handyman, jerk and pull ropes and heavy duty jack, come-along, shovels, axe and fire  type and wood cutting  tools!  A good tool box(s) for fixing just about everything on the camper or truck. A couple of first aid kits that I update yearly-nothing worse than needing  something and discovering it is out of date or will not stick to your skin when you need it.  Several rolls of duck tape and.  a couple of tarps. Lots of different types of ropes and a box of thing-a -ma -witch -a- mah -call-its, left over from old fix it kits!

Okay, some new additions this year; one of those $ stand alone battery starter kits; they don't take up much space and I just hook it up if my battery goes dead on me!  I bought one of those prepackaged week long emergency food kits and a new type of water purification kit and some bottles of ready hour survival shot for that vitamin/mineral extra---still looking for a trailer to carry it all, so me and the dog have a place to sleep at night :P!   Over the years you do learn though what is really needed, it just takes time, old age, and getting stuck allot before you do!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

My emergency supplies are with me whether I'm out wandering or just driving to the grocery store. Traveling in the Sierra's and foothills anything can happen any day of the year. You never know when you might have to hike out, spend an evening or two stuck somewhere or just helping someone out.

Some of the items stored in my truck full time are a two ton aluminum racing jack, cordless impact , 12 volt compressor , tire patch kit, jumper cables, tow strap, shovel, axe, pry bar, Silky saw, first aid kit, water, flares, duct tape, day pack, headlamps, old down jacket, and Snuggie insulated pants. 

In my camper I keep a multi-meter, a couple of screwdrivers, wire stripper/crimper, fuses, wire, 1/4" nut driver and spare turnbuckle tie downs. Also, my old army survival manual is a good read while I'm lounging around.

I'm well supplied with maps and atlases plus my Garmin In Reach and Gaia on my Iphone.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

In every vehicle we have there is a first aid kit that is geared towards a car accident. In our camper we carry the proverbial “kitchen sink” that has everything I know how to use. I strongly recommend taking something like the SOLO first aid course like these:

https://www.soloscho...ng-information/

we have the InReach satellite device and have literally used it all over the world anytime we knew there was a possibility of being out of cell phone range. The also have the ability to buy into medical evacuation insurance so if you happen to have an accident not only do they coordinate the rescue they also are able to get you to an appropriate hospital even if you’re on the other side of the world.

Highly recommend!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#14 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:47 PM

In every vehicle we have there is a first aid kit that is geared towards a car accident. In our camper we carry the proverbial “kitchen sink” that has everything I know how to use. I strongly recommend taking something like the SOLO first aid course like these:

https://www.soloscho...ng-information/

we have the InReach satellite device and have literally used it all over the world anytime we knew there was a possibility of being out of cell phone range. The also have the ability to buy into medical evacuation insurance so if you happen to have an accident not only do they coordinate the rescue they also are able to get you to an appropriate hospital even if you’re on the other side of the world.

Highly recommend!

I haven't taken a Wilderness First Responder course yet, but I might. I'm a doctor, so I've got a lot of that terrain on assessment, stabilization, CPR, etc. covered. Still, it never hurts to know more, especially since my specialty is pretty distal to that stuff. 

Edited by eyemgh, 20 August 2020 - 10:49 PM.

#15 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:49 PM

What's your favorite Jack option? HiLift? Handyman? Other? I like the ARB, but it's $800!

#16 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:32 AM

I haven't taken a Wilderness First Responder course yet, but I might. I'm a doctor, so I've got a lot of that terrain on assessment, stabilization, CPR, etc. covered. Still, it never hurts to know more, especially since my specialty is pretty distal to that stuff. 

I am embarrassed to have brought up the physical health stuff in my 'common usual misshaps' post to you. Talk about bringing coals to Newcastle.

As far as jacks are concerned, I found I could make a bottle jack work under most circumstances. The one time I used a hi-lift jack I was young and stupid, and could easily have killed myself. So I just assume if I need a jack I will take my time and get the bottle jack, boards, braces and rocks properly arranged to make it all work. So far so good. And the hi-lift is pretty heavy -- weight is a constant concern on this site for good reason.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 21 August 2020 - 12:32 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#17 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:14 AM

I am embarrassed to have brought up the physical health stuff in my 'common usual misshaps' post to you. Talk about bringing coals to Newcastle.

No worries whatsoever! The reality is, unless you're an ER doc, and maybe even then, situational training is important.  :)

#18 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:18 AM

Don't forget the Jack Daniels, just in case !!

#19 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

Don't forget the Jack Daniels, just in case !!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Like it!

Looking at jacks, I think the Safe Jack might be the answer!

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:41 AM

The safe jack or similar is great and I'll choose it over a hi lift every time if, and its a big if, you can get under the vehicle. Unfortunately sometimes mud or snow or whatever doesn't give us that option. The last time I used my hi lift I was stuck in the snow. Maybe given enough time I could have eventually shoveled out enough get a jack under the truck. No doubt the hi lift can be dangerous but sometimes its the right tool for the job. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users