21 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

We had the return of the marine layer (fog) over the night.

I think it helped a bit.Smoke wasn't too bad until the fog lifted

and there was the smoke hiding above the fog.

Yuck we have all windows closed ,thankful the temps aren't too bad .
The house is comfortable,have a little fan to move some air around.

What a time we are living through.

Stay safe.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:32 PM

I'm listening to the docs advice to stay indoors. Its pretty bad today. Makes me wonder if seven seasons as a firefighter did any long term damage. 

Hard to get up to date information. Yubanet hasn't even listed the moc fire yet. Most of my best info is coming via the ham radio.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 August 2020 - 07:50 PM

The smoke is so bad I expect to see ravens fall out of the sky. Gave a passing idea to a little hike and casting a fly over golden trout. Nope.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:54 PM

Today we can see blue sky and sunshine. AQI has dropped from purple to red to orange to yellow. It's been so bad  we are now celebrating having "moderate" air quality. The Lady took 2 girl friends hiking into a high country lake off of highway 88 yesterday - proper social distancing, masks, and drove separate - and they did not want to come home. It was so nice, not great but so much better than it has been.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:11 AM

Thanks to everyone who is staying home for Labor Day Weekend.

Julie & I drove down from Carson Pass today, mid afternoon. The holiday migration is in full swing. We've learned that the new american dream is owning - or making payments on - a huge 3/4 or 1 ton diesel 4x4 pickup, crew cab long bed, jack it up high, add big tires, and tow a three axle trailer. Best part is drive it all like a sport car and pass in no passing zones.

Happy to have survived and we're happy at home. Our local Safeway has not been able to keep up with the demand from all the tourists this season. No milk, no orange juice for us. Beer trucks are lined up off loading as are Frito-Lay trucks. Two items we do not use.

We've determined that the majority of people are afraid of the outdoors and only feel comfortable bringing the city with them into the woods. And, kids have no character or backbone anymore because they've never slept on the ground.

#16 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:23 AM

+1 Ski.  (sometimes the bigger the truck jacked up you'll find the shorter the male driving it ;))

Staying home.

If weather air quality is good tomorrow I'll volunteer at trail building site at South Lake Tahoe.  If not just stay home.  The heat and the bad air from the fires have keep us indoors being in that sensitive to bad air group.

I did drive up from Carson City to South Lake Tahoe Tuesday and Thursday.  Last time I drove was August 8th.  The biggest thing I noticed was the large volume of tourist traffic was gone.  Massive amount of cars parking along highway 50 is gone. It was nice.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:31 AM

My local store is finally fully restocked with toilet paper and hand sanitizer (and all the rest). I'm probably headed out in the morning. Its gonna suck but I know some spots that should be empty even this weekend. I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never. 

What a horrible disease dementia (in all its forms) is. I think its only a matter of weeks before my mom won't recognize me. 

I'd like to do a couple of SOTA activations on the way. Leviathan is on the list. Hope its not too crowded.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:49 AM

--snip--

I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never. 

What a horrible disease dementia (in all its forms) is. I think its only a matter of weeks before my mom won't recognize me. 

--snip

Sorry to hear of the situation with your Mom. We're in a similar situation with my wife's Mom. You are correct about it being horrible. Our situation is not as far along as yours. We just take it a day at a time.

So many things conspiring to keep us from camping this year. We do take her along with us when we go. She as always enjoyed camping so she likes going along although she asks frequently where we are and where we are going and why.

Wish you the best.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

Was going to head up to the mountains to work on the cabin. Let’s see:

• High heat warning
  • Unhealthful air
  • Expected influx of tourists, especially in neighboring community where chamber of commerce & city council have openly disregarded state orders since March.

Uh...I’m thinking next weekend might be a better bet. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

My local store is finally fully restocked with toilet paper and hand sanitizer (and all the rest). I'm probably headed out in the morning. Its gonna suck but I know some spots that should be empty even this weekend. I have to spend three days next week watching my mom so its now or never. 

I'd like to do a couple of SOTA activations on the way. Leviathan is on the list. Hope its not too crowded.

We are sorry to hear about your Mom also, Craig. We went through it with Julie's Mom and it is so devastating and heartbreaking................

Our best to you and your family!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users