• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FiremanWanderer

FiremanWanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:00 PM

Looking to buy a cooler or fridge for my four wheel hawk shell to run off of a 12v plug in. Any recommendations? What has worked for you and what doesn’t work. Thanks!

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 August 2020 - 12:20 AM

I use a 40 qt top opening Engel, and am happy with it.  Others use Dometic and Truck Fridge, but if you have the budget, National Luna is considered very good.

I am haunted by waters

#3 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 23 August 2020 - 01:03 AM

ARB, the temp display is not accurate, but it's consistently inaccurate so I know what the numbers mean.

There are quite a few comparisons and reviews online, I researched a lot before buying.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

The 12v compressor chest fridge market has expanded wildly in the past few years: Engel/ARB, Indel B/Truckfridge, Waeco/Dometic, Snomaster, National Luna...with price points that range from about $500 on up way past $1k. Uprights, also, many coming over from marine applications. I used to have an ARB 52 but now run a Dometic 75DZ (dual zone, freezer & fridge). Your data points will include interior/exterior dimensions, capacity, features, and price, of course. Watch for specials; typically, overlanding shows had fair discounts but in the absence of them, there are internet specials popping up. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hello FW
Only have experience with one, Engle MR 40.
Low power consumption, been on its side couple times. Have been using as extra freezer since March in the House.
Running 24/7.
I know there are other good product’s out there, this is ours with Engle. Thought the lack of digital temp would be a problem. When I got the dial settings figured-in with pocket thermometer, it’s easy.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

I have an excel spreadsheetiI made in 2018 comparing a number of different 12 v refrigerators (dims, current draw, etc) mostly in the 30L - 40L range. I added some 40L - 50L units to it in 2019.

If interested send me a PM and I will reply with the spreadsheet.

I'm not sure if there is a way to upload it here.

In general the Engle units use a proprietary HFC134-A piston compressor design and pretty much all the others use the Danfoss DB35F compressor.

From on-line research I did it seems that several if not most of the brands are made by and bought wholesale from a a couple or a few Chinese companies and then branded and sold retail.  Housing and internal compartment materials (stainless vs plastic), style (handles & lid opening external features) and perhaps insulation are the biggest differences since they all use the same compressor.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 23 August 2020 - 08:28 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

Here is an informative side by side review of many of the top choices. I have used this site previously for different gear. This review came out a year after I purchased my Dometic CFX 50W. It came down to $ for sure but the lid closure orientation was important to me. With my Shell build I preferred side to side closure. I fortuitously found the Dometic heavily discounted on a small independent site. With my wife, now as a regular camp companion, it is nice to have the extra size. My initial choice was the CFX 40W. I am not sure if they still make the exact same CFX models.
ARB & Engel, solid performers, were more expensive in 2018 than Dometic. Maybe this has changed? I removed the Shell bunk carpet, installed a deck, & drilled an entry down to the electrical station. I stacked another fuse box & hardwired a pigtail to accommodate the Dometic. It is a tough (rugged build style) unit. So far, so good, I sure hope for a long life.
My $.02, don’t look at the Costway. You want good insulation, u want durable & u want less noise in a small camper.

https://www.outdoorg...dometic-cfx-50w

Edited by Stokeme, 23 August 2020 - 09:42 PM.

#8 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:51 AM

When these are used in the main truck compartment are you plugging it into the twelve volt plug that is what used to be the cigarette lighter socket? Do you leave it plugged in even when you are not driving, say overnight and it doesn’t bring your starter battery too far down?
Thanks

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

My Truckfridge TB41 stays in the camper now and runs 24/7 on the Battleborn 100 Ah and a 170Watt solar panel.

When I used it in the truck itself I plugged it into the 12 V socket when I was driving but used a home made 50Ah battery box for overnight.

I'm sure my truck battery would run it but I felt better letting that battery do what its intended purpose is and using a second source of energy when the engine was not running for hours. 

YMMV :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#10 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

My Truckfridge TB41 stays in the camper now and runs 24/7 on the Battleborn 100 Ah and a 170Watt solar panel.

When I used it in the truck itself I plugged it into the 12 V socket when I was driving but used a home made 50Ah battery box for overnight.
I'm sure my truck battery would run it but I felt better letting that battery do what its intended purpose is and using a second source of energy when the engine was not running for hours.
YMMV :)

Thanks. Good insurance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users