• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

My 1st question would be are you charging this battery exclusively from the alternator or will there be solar or campground plug in also.

I have read multiple posts about folks battery unable to keep up with demand often due to voltage drop in weak wiring...

How much energy do you need to replace everyday.

10 amps well wiring not so critical. 40 amps, better be using something besides 10 gauge....

I would suggest 4 or 6 gauge wiring depending on your run length. Voltage drop is your enemy and if you don't get enough your battery will suffer.

A DC to DC charger eliminates much of that issue as would secondary supply such as solar :)

Good luck :)

Just my 2 cents and probably all it's worth :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#12 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:08 PM

When I ordered the aftermarket kit, they sent me an instruction file. That being said, I eventually upgraded the wiring, DC/DC charger, and a plug to anderson powerpole, but this was helpful for getting me on the road......

I couldn't paste it...

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#13 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:46 PM

Hi Traveller
I had sometime today and googled thermal breakers. I have copy/paste this from Wikipedia for reading on thermal circuit breakers.

“Thermal magnetic circuit breakers, which are the type found in most distribution boards in Europe and countries with a similar wiring arrangements, incorporate both techniques with the electromagnet responding instantaneously to large surges in current (short circuits) and the bimetallic strip responding to less extreme but longer-term over-current conditions. The thermal portion of the circuit breaker provides a time response feature, that trips the circuit breaker sooner for larger over currents but allows smaller overloads to persist for a longer time. This allows short current spikes such as are produced when a motor or other non-resistive load is switched on. With very large over-currents during a short-circuit, the magnetic element trips the circuit breaker with no intentional additional delay.”

I have seen the thermal circuit breaker in the photos above. I personally wouldn’t use that to protect the wiring on my camper. The reason is that automatic resetting Saftey’s can lead to more problems than manual reset Safety device’s.
My experience with thermal safety devices are either imbedded in the windings of a motor, or mechanically fastened to the motor case. I’m just a guy out there making repairs and fixing what’s broken or not working properly.
So that’s my mind set.
There is no reason you cannot wire your camper and have a good functioning circuitry for your needs. You might want to talk with a company and just listen to what they would do and what they would charge.
Hope this helps, I think that’s what members on this forum want and try to do, help.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users