• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 myjo

myjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:52 AM

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a travel route back to California from Boulder. We plan on taking three to four days and would love recommendations for great camping spots. I know there is a major fire burning on the I-70 and it has been closed.

#2 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

I70 is open again through Glenwood Canyon.

#3 myjo

myjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:22 PM

I70 is open again through Glenwood Canyon.

Thanks for the tip. Thatโ€™s so good to know.

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

What part of CA are you headed to?  Makes a big difference in terms of route suggestions crossing CO, UT, and NV.

Foy

#5 myjo

myjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:16 PM

What part of CA are you headed to? Makes a big difference in terms of route suggestions crossing CO, UT, and NV.

Foy

Inland Empire area near Corona Ca

#6 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

I would take a meandering scenic route through Utah, using I-70 to 128 to 191 to 95 to 24 to 12 to 89 to I-15 or any variation on that theme. Then 15 to Vegas to Corona.

There are great places to camp, depending on your heat tolerance and which route you choose:
- McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area
- Gray's Canyon, riverside BLM campground a few miles north of Green River Utah
- Goblin Valley State Park campground or dispersed camping on Temple Mountain Road
- BLM campgrounds near Moab, so many nice places on the river
- Dispersed camping on Lockhart Road in the Needles District of Canyonlands
- Dispersed camping in Valley of the Gods (drive the Moki Dugway while in the area)
- Goosenecks State Park campground, or dispersed camping near Honaker Trailhead.
- Kodachrome Basin State park, or dispersed camping off Cottonwood road conditions permitting
- Red Canyon Campground near Bryce (worth stopping at the Red Canyon visitor center if open), or dispersed camping on Forest Road 121, nice spot about a mile up and off to the right against some rocks
- Red Cliffs Recreation Area or Snow Canyon State Park
- Valley of Fire State Park

#7 myjo

myjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

Thank you for this recommendation. Appreciate it so much. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

I would take a meandering scenic route through Utah, using I-70 to 128 to 191 to 95 to 24 to 12 to 89 to I-15 or any variation on that theme. Then 15 to Vegas to Corona.

There are great places to camp, depending on your heat tolerance and which route you choose:
- McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area
- Gray's Canyon, riverside BLM campground a few miles north of Green River Utah
- Goblin Valley State Park campground or dispersed camping on Temple Mountain Road
- BLM campgrounds near Moab, so many nice places on the river
- Dispersed camping on Lockhart Road in the Needles District of Canyonlands
- Dispersed camping in Valley of the Gods (drive the Moki Dugway while in the area)
- Goosenecks State Park campground, or dispersed camping near Honaker Trailhead.
- Kodachrome Basin State park, or dispersed camping off Cottonwood road conditions permitting
- Red Canyon Campground near Bryce (worth stopping at the Red Canyon visitor center if open), or dispersed camping on Forest Road 121, nice spot about a mile up and off to the right against some rocks
- Red Cliffs Recreation Area or Snow Canyon State Park
- Valley of Fire State Park

#8 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:46 PM

We did this last year on Labor Day. Bought our FWC in Boulder and drove it back in just a few days. We went down through the San Juan mountains toward Durango. We were able to visit Valley of the Gods which was absolutely beautiful along with Monument Valley. We also visited Mesa Verde National Park, Pagosa Springs, Piedra River (some awesome hot springs there) and stayed the last night near flagstaff at sunset crater national monument. We stopped at 4-corners which I thought was a waste of money unfortunately. Other than that, the trip was amazing. We drove to CO I-15 to I-70 staying overnight in Vegas. Utah is gorgeous too, you really canโ€™t go wrong either way you go...check the weather and choose what seems most enjoyable to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users