9 replies to this topic

#1 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:35 PM

Pretty much no nothing about electrical systems.  

I would like to add a 12 volt socket to power my ARB fridge.  My FWC currently has one by the front door, but I would like to add another socket outlet in the box where all the electrical wires are.  I would then be able to mount my fridge on the bench and run the wire out of the way of everything.

I'll include a few pictures of the electrical stuff.  Could someone tell me how to wire the 2 wires from the socket too?  

Appreciate all the help.

Attached File  IMG_0468.jpg   133.35K   64 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0469.jpg   173.02K   58 downloads

#2 lmwilco1

lmwilco1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTempe Arizona

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:07 AM

It is hard to answer this with just the photos. There are no spare fuse locations to use so you will need to use an inline fuse. You need to connect the inline fuse to the power source for the fuse block and this will run to the positive/center pin on your power socket. The negative connection on the power socket will connect to the bus bar with all of the black wires in your picture. You can add the negative  ring terminal to one of the existing screws, have the new wire connect to the side or opposite the current connector to make sure you get a good connection. Look for a Blue Sea power socket, they seem o be much nicer than some of the generic ones.

#3 traveller

traveller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:50 AM

I'm an electrical newbie.  Could you tell me specifically where to connect the positive and negative wires from the new power socket.  I don't know what/where the positive and negative wires are in the picture.  Please be as specific as possible, newbie here.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

I would connect directly to the battery.  Use pretty thick wires (I don't know the refrig you are going to use and what type of amps it draws; the more amps, the thicker the wire) but a 12v socket can only handle so much current so it won't have to be super thick.  As the other person mentioned, put an inline fuse on the side that connects to the + terminal on the battery that goes to the socket.  The black wire on the socket goes to the - (negative) side of the battery.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

Here's the easiest way if these wires are thick enough to handle the current draw on your refrig.

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B074YVQPKH

You just hook the wires to the terminals on your battery.  Has the fuse installed inline already. 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Option #1: You could combine the new 12v outlet(positive wire) with the old 12v outlet position(orange wire) that is already in in use. Disconnect the orange wire at the fuse panel, install a double male spade adapter and piggy back the new 12v outlet positive wire and the orange wire to the same terminal. Option #2: You could also use that 15 amp position to provide power to a small 2 position buss and connect each 12v + to the new buss using inline fuses. IMPORTANT: If you do either option, you will need to install inline fuses(7.5 amp max each) to each positive lead going to the outlets. NOTE: this will only work if the combined load(amp draw) at both outlets doesn't exceed 15 amps. Connect the new negative wire to the negative buss(where all the black wires terminate) as others have mentioned. One thing to consider when you buy the new socket is getting it prewired or not. You want heavy enough wire to reduce voltage drop or amp draw will go up especially important on a long wire run.  I based the above options on the fact that most people do not require/use 15 amps at a 12v outlet. Option #3: If in doubt have a pro do the work or find a qualified friend.

Edited by Beach, 29 August 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:29 AM

YouTube has tutorials.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:05 PM

I found a heavy duty 12V outlet on Amazon rated at 25 amp.  I wired it up directly to the battery with a 25 amp in-line fuse, using 10 awg wire.  The plug is located just a foot or two from the battery, in the space next to the battery compartment, and under the sink area.     For the in-line fuse I found one on a 10 awg wire.  We use this to plug in my wife's oxygen concentrator.  

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

I found a heavy duty 12V outlet on Amazon rated at 25 amp.  I wired it up directly to the battery with a 25 amp in-line fuse, using 10 awg wire.  The plug is located just a foot or two from the battery, in the space next to the battery compartment, and under the sink area.     For the in-line fuse I found one on a 10 awg wire.  We use this to plug in my wife's oxygen concentrator.  

Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Here is link tos the heavy duty 12V socket I bought.  Supposedly 25 amp.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users