• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mtlangst

mtlangst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:56 AM

I cant find the answer by searching and have read conflicting info on the internet.  Which has a lower CG and is better for offroading?  A flatbed or slide in?

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:46 AM

Depends where your weight is located in elevation.

Slide in the water heater and refrigerator and other stuff is above the bed rails of the truck.

Flat bed most of those items are sitting at deck height.

Just need to see where in elevation you mass weights are between the two.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:54 AM

I would agree with pvstoy that the flatbed has a lower center of gravity, but on the flip side (haha) the flatbeds are heavier than the slide ins, so it may be a wash in the end. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 mtlangst

mtlangst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:23 AM

I would agree with pvstoy that the flatbed has a lower center of gravity, but on the flip side (haha) the flatbeds are heavier than the slide ins, so it may be a wash in the end. 

Hmmm you should be a politician ;)

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:54 PM

The actual height of the flatbed is usually several inches higher than a pick up bed so who knows...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:19 AM

The actual height of the flatbed is usually several inches higher than a pick up bed so who knows...

It looks like at least one company can fabricate a flatbed that is no higher than the stock pickup bed.

https://sherptek.com/truckbed

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#7 DavidinPhx

DavidinPhx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:22 PM

I'm about to buy a used flatbed Hawk rig and this is a big question for me.  I'm particularly concerned with the tippy factor on off-camber trails. 

I just posted this on Expedition Portal, https://expeditionpo...ability.220255/

The short story, is I'm coming from a non-camper Tacoma that's well built and we're used to doing some pretty serious trails, though less so lately.  

Sure would appreciate feedback from anyone with a flatbed on the Norweld tray as to how their rig handles the COG on unlevel stretches of trail, not just FS roads, etc.  

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:51 PM

I think the definition of 'pretty serious' trail varies greatly from person to person, but I can give you my experience with a fleet flatbed on a Tacoma over the past 4.5 years.  I would not consider myself a 'four wheel driver' in the sense that the driving is the goal, but often to access remote places, you need to drive rough roads. 

I have never found tipy-ness in terms of roll over to be a limiting factor, but I have found bulk coupled with off camber to be an issue. We have taken our last camper over Elephant Hill and into the Needles district of Canyonlands, but I would not do this with the FWC.  Not so much because of Elephant Hill itself, but because of the 'squeeze' that comes after it, where you need to drive through a very narrow canyon, and it is off camber - the camper would likely hit the walls.  I notice this with trees as well.   

You also notice that you are heavy, it takes more traction to get you up a loose slope than without the camper - particularly with the Norweld, it is heavy!   The weight also increases the likelihood of breaking something - it just takes more torque to get going and everything is working harder.  So far we have been lucky, but it is something I think about, and I am much more likely to turn around with the FWC.

So in short, if I were seeking out four wheel driving for the sake of it I would look for something smaller and lighter.  The FWC does add stress to really rough roads. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:16 AM

I'm about to buy a used flatbed Hawk rig and this is a big question for me.  I'm particularly concerned with the tippy factor on off-camber trails. 

I just posted this on Expedition Portal, https://expeditionpo...ability.220255/

The short story, is I'm coming from a non-camper Tacoma that's well built and we're used to doing some pretty serious trails, though less so lately.  

Sure would appreciate feedback from anyone with a flatbed on the Norweld tray as to how their rig handles the COG on unlevel stretches of trail, not just FS roads, etc.  

You might check out this thread on Tacomaworld.com

https://www.tacomawo...-advice.585792/

There are other resources there as well.  I personally have put a slide in on my Tacoma and you can tell it's heavy back there.  I'm nervous on more technical trails.  I only have airbags but am in the process of upgrading springs and shocks hoping for more confidence on the rougher trails.  The link above and their website I think show a few trip reports that were helpful in making me think that I can setup my truck to suit my needs.

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:23 AM

If you had two willing owners of similar campers & trucks except for slid-in vs. flatbed you could find the CG of each for comparison's sake. Simplest way that I've seen it done is to weigh the truck on flat ground. You'll need all four corner weights, not just F/R weights. Then do so again except with the trucks either nose or tail high by a significant amount. Then it's a trig problem, but it beats finding the weight of each component and it's coordinate distance from some reference point, and then doing that math.

After all of that work, either way, you'll only know the CG for those two rigs. All others will be a partly educated guess.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users