• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 DavidinPhx

DavidinPhx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:05 AM

Thanks Rando and WilltheThri11, helpful info.

The rig I’m buying is on a well dialed in ‘12 Power Wagon (2 years before they went to rear coils) with HD leaf springs and airbags, so hopefully pretty stable and tough …but sure bulky compared to my Tacoma! Not looking to rock crawl, but as a photographer, just want to get where I need to be, which is often on a rough trail.

Having done Elephant Hill in my 2nd gen Tacoma, theres no way I’d think about it with a Flatbed Hawk!

Glad to hear other factors come into play before “tippyness”!

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

Badlands 4x4 driving school has an exercise in side-hill driving that is very illustrative. Coming into the class with ~20 years of off road driving under my belt I still learned a lot. Recommended.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

Not sure if this will help but here goes.

Previous setup was 2003 f250 xcab long bed with 8 foot litecraft regular slide in camper.

Current setup is 2016 f350 cc long bed with 9 foot aluminum flatbed, atc flatbed 7w x 9 l

Have driven the same kinds of trails in both, even rougher ones in newer unit.

Bed height is 5plus inches higher with the flatbed then regular bed, when building the next flatbed i will try to go with a company that can lower my bed.

Camper was built with all weight low and forward to help offset cog issues. Hasn't really felt super tippy on off camber trails, but i am realistic that i am going to be limited at times due to size. Elephant hill is a great example. 

It is what it is I'm afraid. 

All this being said, most of us who switch to flatbeds, would never go back.

Enjoy

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users