Photo
- - - - -

Should FWC campers be marketed towards Tacomas?

FWC tacoma toyota payload

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NVBrian

NVBrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:37 PM

Hey guys,

My old roommate (who has a 4WD Toyota Tacoma) reached out to me regarding buying a truck camper for his rig. Since I've seen a lot of FWCs on Tacos, I did a little bit of research and found that the Swift (935 lbs) and the Fleet (1,045 lbs) are specifically marketed towards the Toyota Tacoma. Just to be sure (I've had a few issues of coming close to GVWR) I asked my buddy to snap a pic of the payload sticker on his driver's side door and found that his Tacoma had a payload of 1,152 lbs (not including driver or passengers). Checking the forums, it seems that ~1,150 lbs payload is pretty typical for a 4WD Taco. Pairing a Tacoma with a Swift or a Fleet would come very close to exceeding the GVWR once you add the driver. Throw in a bunch of gear or an additional passenger and you’re over GVRW.

My question: Should FWC market the Swift & Fleet towards the Tacoma, even though the buyer will exceed their Tacoma’s payload capacity?

Also: I completely understand this is not just an issue with FWC but other TC brands as well.

I would argue that the Fleet & Swift models should be marketed towards half ton trucks (Tundra/F150/1500). FWC should only market their Project M towards Tacomas to allow for adequate additional payload.

Thanks.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:22 PM

I'm not sure that FWC markets their campers to any specific truck manufacturer. They design their campers to fit a wide range of trucks. Their website shows the campers and which trucks they will fit on. Some campers have to be installed on a platform to clear the truck cab. As an example they have to build a special rear with a notch for some Chevy trucks. Since different truck models have different payloads, the liability is strictly on the buyer. A diesel engine cuts a significant amount off a truck payload. Will a FWC fit on a Taco? Yes. Will the camper exceed the payload? Probably. Unfortunately, many people have a truck, and they buy the camper to go on their truck. Best scenario is to decide on the camper and then pick the truck that will carry the camper so you can be under payload, including full water tanks, equipment, food, people, and pets.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:23 PM

I am sure this will devolve into the usual GVWR debate. 

My take on this is that it is up to the user to determine the impact of their modifications.   Adding a camper that will put you over GVWR is not really any different than adding larger tires that decreases braking effectiveness, a lift or roof top tent that increases the likelihood of a roll over, a steel bumper that increases the risk of killing or maiming others....   

There is nothing special in a legal (for a non commercial vehicle) or engineering sense about GVWR relative to the vast number of other specifications that accompany a vehicle. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:12 PM

Thank you Rando,well said.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:23 PM

I would be really really  sad if this size camper wasn't manufactured and marketed for our poor little tacomas.

I love my ATC Bobcat on my 2010 Tacoma. Its been on the truck full time for ten years now. 

Toyota Tacoma 2010 TRD V6 ATC Bobcat 2008 shell model

#6 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:51 PM

Not all Tacomas are made the same. My 2003 4x4 extra cab had a payload of 1630 lbs., that's 115 lbs more than my Tundra that is rated at 1515 lbs.

#7 NVBrian

NVBrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:07 AM

Wow did not think that this many people would reply. Appreciate all of your inputs. 

I am sure this will devolve into the usual GVWR debate. 

My take on this is that it is up to the user to determine the impact of their modifications.   Adding a camper that will put you over GVWR is not really any different than adding larger tires that decreases braking effectiveness, a lift or roof top tent that increases the likelihood of a roll over, a steel bumper that increases the risk of killing or maiming others....   

There is nothing special in a legal (for a non commercial vehicle) or engineering sense about GVWR relative to the vast number of other specifications that accompany a vehicle. 

I agree  - the end user is responsible for knowing their GVWR and determining if they're comfortable exceeding that rating. 

I'm not sure that FWC markets their campers to any specific truck manufacturer. They design their campers to fit a wide range of trucks. Their website shows the campers and which trucks they will fit on. Some campers have to be installed on a platform to clear the truck cab. As an example they have to build a special rear with a notch for some Chevy trucks. Since different truck models have different payloads, the liability is strictly on the buyer. A diesel engine cuts a significant amount off a truck payload. Will a FWC fit on a Taco? Yes. Will the camper exceed the payload? Probably. Unfortunately, many people have a truck, and they buy the camper to go on their truck. Best scenario is to decide on the camper and then pick the truck that will carry the camper so you can be under payload, including full water tanks, equipment, food, people, and pets.

Great point. People should determine what camper they want and then purchase a vehicle that is adequate to handle it.

If you go on FWC's website and select Campers>Find Based on My Truck> Mid sized Truck (Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, Colorado, Canyon) you'll end up with the Swift and Fleet whose weight almost exceeds the payload of the truck that you entered in.

I just wanted to point out the fact that these campers are being marketed for a truck that technically can barely handle the camper's weight and see what your guys thoughts were on it.

#8 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:18 AM

I had my Eagle shell on a 2002 Tacoma like Sleddog's. It really needed some suspension upgrades even with just the shell, 2 people and basic camping stuff. The 1600 lb. payload seemed kind of optimistic. I would never have put that much weight on that (great) little truck.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

I think too that FWC/ATC don't specifically market them to trucks maybe out of concern for liability issues and GVWR as others pointed out.  I really doubt you can put any product on a 1/2 ton and be under GVWR.  Yes, the upgraded tires, etc. help but weight wise, you'll still be over.  If you are even close just with the camper, the weight you don't think about is that "gets you".  People, dogs, gear, water, propane, food, chairs, etc., etc.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Marmot

Marmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 28 August 2022 - 04:22 PM

Five years in, anyway, I’m comfortable with my Fleet on my Tacoma with improved tires and suspension. You just have to take it easy in your driving style, which comes naturally to me. If you want to drive fast and aggressive with the camper on, this combo is not the one to do it in, if there is any such combo…

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, tacoma, toyota, payload

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users