Photo
- - - - -

Should FWC campers be marketed towards Tacomas?

FWC tacoma toyota payload

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:12 AM

Really interesting, Weissenheimer.

We have a 2018 Taco with the "off trail" package, and are also overweight despite our backpacking mentality of "less is more". Ours is the tiny rear seat version, so the shorter truck with 6' bed. Our front axle is the same with and without the camper. Rear is overloaded as all the camper weight goes on that axle.

Tires are E-rated KO2, at 47/62 psi front/rear on pavement (1/2 to 1/3 that on bad roads). Only suspension upgrade is the black "Sumosprings".

Since I'm a slow driver (but tend to walk fast!) and don't mind being pokey uphill and down, I've never had a power issue or braking performance problem. But I'm new to truck driving. It works great on some pretty bad roads. I can't believe what we've driven and we've spotted each other numerous times.

Stats:

Empty bed with two people and full tank of gas = 4700 lb.

Front = 2700

Rear = 2000

Loaded with FWC = 5900 to 6350, depending on the trip, water and fuel (max 5600 per specs)

Front = 2700 (max 2910 per specs)

Rear = 3600 (max 3280 per specs)

So we've exceeded by 9% (300 lb) for the rear axle, 13% (700 lb) GVWR for the whole truck. That's nearly a half-ton overweight.

My lame rationalizing is the brakes are ok because they can handle towing weight. The suspension is sorta beefed up by the Sumosprings -- the truck is basically level. But the rear axles and wheels are overloaded so driving slowly, especially on bad roads... uh.... helps?! 

Edited by rubberlegs, 14 October 2022 - 04:14 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#22 Weissenheimer

Weissenheimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:05 PM

Really interesting, Weissenheimer.

We have a 2018 Taco with the "off trail" package, and are also overweight despite our backpacking mentality of "less is more". Ours is the tiny rear seat version, so the shorter truck with 6' bed. Our front axle is the same with and without the camper. Rear is overloaded as all the camper weight goes on that axle.

Tires are E-rated KO2, at 47/62 psi front/rear on pavement (1/2 to 1/3 that on bad roads). Only suspension upgrade is the black "Sumosprings".

Since I'm a slow driver (but tend to walk fast!) and don't mind being pokey uphill and down, I've never had a power issue or braking performance problem. But I'm new to truck driving. It works great on some pretty bad roads. I can't believe what we've driven and we've spotted each other numerous times.

Stats:

Empty bed with two people and full tank of gas = 4700 lb.

Front = 2700

Rear = 2000

Loaded with FWC = 5900 to 6350, depending on the trip, water and fuel (max 5600 per specs)

Front = 2700 (max 2910 per specs)

Rear = 3600 (max 3280 per specs)

So we've exceeded by 9% (300 lb) for the rear axle, 13% (700 lb) GVWR for the whole truck. That's nearly a half-ton overweight.

My lame rationalizing is the brakes are ok because they can handle towing weight. The suspension is sorta beefed up by the Sumosprings -- the truck is basically level. But the rear axles and wheels are overloaded so driving slowly, especially on bad roads... uh.... helps?! 

Cool to see someone elses stats!  I don't exactly drive slow but i like to think i make "wise decisions" and drive accordingly when it is warranted.  I think I would do the same in a half ton anyway.  And I know payload and tow ratings are two different things, but I also justify some of our "small truck woes" in relation to the tow rating.  These are just some comparisons I find interesting. 1.) At about 1500 lbs in the bed we are not exceeding the electric brake rule of 3000lbs for a trailer (in most states) 2.) We are not exceeding or coming close to our tow rating of about 6700 lbs, as far as the work our motor is doing.  It really all comes down to suspension/ handling which can easily be remediated by making one of many affordable upgrades on the market.  

#23 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:37 PM

Cool to see someone elses stats!  I don't exactly drive slow but i like to think i make "wise decisions" and drive accordingly when it is warranted.  I think I would do the same in a half ton anyway.  And I know payload and tow ratings are two different things, but I also justify some of our "small truck woes" in relation to the tow rating.  These are just some comparisons I find interesting. 1.) At about 1500 lbs in the bed we are not exceeding the electric brake rule of 3000lbs for a trailer (in most states) 2.) We are not exceeding or coming close to our tow rating of about 6700 lbs, as far as the work our motor is doing.  It really all comes down to suspension/ handling which can easily be remediated by making one of many affordable upgrades on the market.  

That's a really good (or at least comforting) way to think about it! I'm looking at a Tacoma/Fleet combo that would be pretty heavy but within that range, so you've made me feel better about it.

#24 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 11 August 2023 - 08:41 PM

There is some interesting data in the article at this site:

https://www.ntea.com...whitepaper.aspx

and at this site:

https://crashstats.n...tion/813323.pdf

It is up to each driver to understand that the vehicle insurance may be invalid if the vehicle is found to be over the GVWR.   There is also risk of being cited for an overloaded vehicle. Keep in mind that if there is an injury or a fatality if yoir overweight vehicle is involved in an accident and your vehicle is found to be overweight, you could be found criminally negligent and the consequences of that could be life altering,

What is the risk of any of those things?  I don't know, the data seems to suggest that if your vehicle total weight is under 10,000 pounds it may not be a very large risk (unless your vehicle looks obviously overloaded - in which case the highway patrol may have reasonable cause to pull you over). 

It is your choice to take the risk or not.  

Edited by ckent323, 13 August 2023 - 06:19 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#25 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:32 AM

{ could not agree more with this last post. Keep in mind that you can have all the suspension upgrades that are available, if you do not upgrade (Uprate) your axle  as well, you've accomplished nothing. That's why I have my Grandby mounted on 2019 GMC 2500HD.

#26 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:28 PM

That's a really good (or at least comforting) way to think about it! I'm looking at a Tacoma/Fleet combo that would be pretty heavy but within that range, so you've made me feel better about it.

I wouldn't find much comfort in that rationalization. Towing IS different than payload. And as someone who has towed with a vehicle below payload, and with a trailer under 1500 lbs without trailer brakes, I can say it's not great, and I wouldn't like to do it on the regular. Pulling stuff slowly up a hill is easy; the going down with slippery pavement, hard braking, wind, bouncy conditions, etc and you quickly realize that pushing over the limits are pretty UNcomfortable.

Is it doable? sure. Did it put a lot more stress on components you'll be buying? yes. Is it a safety hazard? could be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, tacoma, toyota, payload

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users