28 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:46 AM

Moderators, this is a friendly site and if this post is likely to create a fuss, I understand if you choose to delete it.

That said, this was a response to a recent trip report. 

I'm losing any tolerance for stupid people. 

Didn't want to hijack that TR so thought I'd start a new thread.

We camp off the beaten path to stay away from people. More and more often we end up packing and moving after setting camp due to people setting up near to us and playing their stereo, shooting, partying, etc. I have been saying more and more often that I really need to buy a sniper rifle. I know I am old and grumpy, but am I getting worse or are more people just becoming a--holes? Either way, what to do about it?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:58 AM

Wait until school starts, perhaps things will calm down then. That is our strategy during this very unusual year.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:00 AM

I have not camped this year due to Covid. My friends that have said they have never seen so many people everywhere. I think many people are not working but getting $600 + unemployment. They have time and money so they are getting out and trying camping. They just have no respect for anyone or anything, not a good situation. 

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:51 AM

rockanimal-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:30 AM

I completely agree. I am hoping it leads to more awareness of our public lands. I doubt it will but one can dream.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

I have not camped this year due to Covid. My friends that have said they have never seen so many people everywhere. I think many people are not working but getting $600 + unemployment. They have time and money so they are getting out and trying camping. They just have no respect for anyone or anything, not a good situation. 

That's pretty much what we concluded last month in Montana:  Lots of folks with time on their hands and money in their pockets.  Even places we consider remote, or at least a pain in the neck to reach, were full on weekends and nearly full during midweek.  The great majority of license plates we saw were Montana or Idaho, so it seemed to be a case of folks from the immediate region getting out.  That was generally a good thing, as there didn't seem to be an abundance of disrespectful newbies.  Mostly small families behaving normally.  

#7 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

Common problem even before this year. Depends where you are. Alabama Hills were overrun last time I was there first night but acceptable on return leg of trip. https://keithbarnes....5-Sierra-Range/

Latest trip to Idaho was good. but there were many places to go if you explored before settling down. I try to avoid ATV groups because kids ride forever while adults drink beer around the fire until all hours. I also go on trips during cold season when I can because the crowds are less.

https://keithbarnes....-Scenic-Byways/

I am usually looking for dispersed sites without facilities. Our CA and Oregon coastal trip on September 10, 2020  will be a a challenge. Dispersed sites are hard to find, since most coastal areas are signed no camping.

Sometimes we just resign ourselves to going to a pay campground, turn on the ac or fan and drown out the crowds. Have to empty the tanks anyway and a good long shower, versus a spit bath, is needed occasionally. Case in point coming back from Idaho we stayed at a RV campground in Ogden Utah with a bad rating. according to some, but it turned out to be just the opposite. She gave us a good rate, clean showers, and I could use the AC, during a hot Utah summer night.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#8 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

Nothing really to add, just complain i suppose. i have seen more and more people in "my"spots for the last few years. This "overlanding" thing is off the charts. i don't blame anyone for wanting to be out there, but i just wish they would spend half the amount of time they spend researching gear and upgrades on vehicles to learn how to behave outside. 

Have camped a fair amount this  year, OR coast, alvord ,steens, idaho, wind river range in WY, and of course my usual places in MT.

Some of our local areas in Big Sky are completely insane this year. Not only weekends, but all week. Throw in alot of homeless and transients and the forests around here are just not fun right now. 

Not sure when or if this is going to change, maybe this is our new normal. And with many, many wealthy folks moving here as more permanent residents, things are bound to change even more.

Good luck to all of us, i think we may need it.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

The majority of our trips are done starting in mid-Sept through early December and ramp up again in February through mid-May with a couple of annual "guy" winter trips in between. It used to be less crowded during that time but sadly the times have changed and we run into more and more of the people Ted has described. Whenever we go somewhere that's been taken over we just say "guess we won't be coming here anymore" and look forward to finding the next amazing place. I know we all have those secret places and are wise enuff to shut up about. My daughter and kiddos started boon docking a couple of years ago and I point her to roads less traveled and tell her to go find her own places they can call their own.

To me the backcountry is the best place to go for spectacular scenery and solitude. You just have to avoid the popular trailheads away from large population centers. I find most backpackers to be of like mind and although we tend to be be solo or couples are all part of a tight knit caring community.

Edited by Ronin, 01 September 2020 - 04:58 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:06 PM

What can you say-for allot of reasons, this has been a long version of "A bad day at Black Rock" or what ever that old Spencer Tracy  movie was called!!  Even up here in our usual tranquil  corner of NE Ca/NW Nevada and South Central Oregon,  we had more than our usual share of both natural and human caused disasters  and other unwanted events.  Usually up here (as recently shown by the  TR's  of Ski and "the Lady" and others), you usually can -if you try-find places to hide and explore without running  into to many of those uneducated, uninformed and uncaring invaders.

For allot of reasons, I too have had cut back on my WTWing; here it is Sept and I have had only two runs into the outback (that I can see from my living room picture window)-way way under my usual number -since April.  Both times because of fire Red Flag conditions in this area, I ended up camping in semi-primitive camp grounds and in both places, I ran into situations that I reported  in threads here, were uncomfortable (1) the guy with the parrot on his shoulder and the external speakers from witch he played animal sounds and (2) (a bit less unusual,) the unfriendly guy who flew the very large "Betsy Ross " flag and liked to run his generator at all hours. Now that makes two for two and as I get ready to head out again (I hope) after Labor Day,for a short trip up to the lake, followed by I hope a longer run into Oregon that I don't make it three for three :wacko:

That said, there is not much I can do about it but head out and hope for the best and deal  with what ever I find out there!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 01 September 2020 - 07:29 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users