21 replies to this topic

#1 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

I am planning on an extended trip this winter with my Tacoma/Fleet shell combo, girlfriend and dog.  I am kinda stumped at what I should do for a toilet system for the camper.  I have researched the issue fairly heavily and feel like i have a good grasp at the different options out there, but I am always interested to hear more.

My original Idea for the camper, before i planned an extended trip, was to make a seat that folds out from the wall with a cutout in it so that I could use WAG bags.  I was going to put it near the back door so it would be out of the way and hardly take up any room.  I figured that we would hardly ever use it except in emergencies, so while it wouldn't be the most ideal sitting setup, it would hardly ever get used and would probably do the trick.  

Now that we are planning on spending an extended time on the road, I am thinking maybe we need a more ideal solution.  Since we picked a pandemic to travel through, we are trying to reduce unnecessary exposures.  While not going overboard on things, if we could remove visits to gas station bathrooms a couple times a day that would probably go a long ways with limiting exposures to people.

I see a lot of people like the Thetford, units.  I am not very excited about them honestly, worried about smell, but haven't ruled them out completely.  I could also use a groover like many use for river trips.

In my research I found a unit called a Wrapppon Green, which was developed for disaster relief in japan.  It basically wraps your lunch in a plastic bag with a gel compound and heat seals it, for disposal.  Similar to bags or a diaper, it can be thrown away in the trash.  

It seems like a pretty slick unit, minus the downside of using a lot of plastic.  It would be pretty easy to build the unit into the camper, since the actual that does the sealing is pretty compact.  It is pretty expensive, (about 900) and I'm a little worried about sourcing bags for it in the future.

What are all of your thoughts?  Anybody have any experience with this unit or think that I am going overboard to try to stay away from people while traveling?  

https://www.setechno...usa.com/wrappon

Youtube link about Wrappon Green

Attached Thumbnails

• wrapon.png

#2 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:56 PM

I wouldn't poo-poo all over that idea , or would I ? :)

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

".................so that I could use WAG bags."

KISS, use WAG Bags

and stay smart and safe, limit exposures. Good luck out there.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

We're approaching 10 years with our Thetford, no issues with odors or anything else.  Experimentation with Aqua-kem and its many competitors (some not so good) would dictate the best digestor/deodorizer for your purposes.  To limit the potential for a travel mishap, we use a quick-connect strap to corral the rear of the unit against the camper wall.  It's really a fine system, imho, and quite cost-effective.  Good luck with your decision, makalutoo.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:36 PM

we use a 3 gal bucket, wag bags (or just regular glad kitchen bags and add our own Poo Powder) with a gamma seal lid to keep the smells contained.

#6 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:41 PM

+1 to what Vic said. Bucket, bag, kitty litter or Poo Powder or both. Change bag as needed and seal contents in a 2 gallon Ziplock bag for disposal. No fuss, no muss & no odors.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

First option : commune with nature. Otherwise: Luggable Loo seat, 2 gal bucket, trash bags and kitty litter. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

I have used Thetford for 15 years in boats, roof tent and now my FWC camper. Never had any issues, leakage or problems with odor. I store it in a bag for some extra protection when not in use. It’s easy to use, requires no maintenance, has a decent capacity. By the biggest one you can find room for and you are good to go. The Wrappon Green is to many moving parts for my taste, I prefer simplicity. I don’t like plastic bags with human waist, better to have it in a solid container. 

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#9 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

I have used Thetford for 15 years in boats, roof tent and now my FWC camper. Never had any issues, leakage or problems with odor. I store it in a bag for some extra protection when not in use. It’s easy to use, requires no maintenance, has a decent capacity. By the biggest one you can find room for and you are good to go. The Wrappon Green is to many moving parts for my taste, I prefer simplicity. I don’t like plastic bags with human waist, better to have it in a solid container. 

I absolutely agree with Dessmo, I have been out and about a bit with my wife and our FWC. The porta potty is a necessary option for my wife. We have tried most all of the "solutions" and this just works! We are also discovering that great spots like HipCamp require self contained. 

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

CleanWaste folding loo with their wag bags. Simple, stows away. For me, I don’t want to handle things twice like you have to with the liquid units, I already have to do that with our RV. Try to “dump” the bags often and properly, especially in high temps. Tip: add a scoop of clumping/low odor kitty litter each use. I think they’ve skimped a bit lately. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users