16 replies to this topic

#1 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:54 PM

OK, maybe I'm just bouncing ideas here....

Currently waiting for my FWC Hawk camper on a '13 Silverado 1500 and I've been reading everything I can about what I need to get the truck ready.

To be honest I was a bit surprised I need to do anything, as my camper is specd about 1000 pounds  which seems pretty light to me. About the most I've carried in my truck currently has been some motorcycles that were maybe pushing 600 pounds and the truck didn't even feel it. (yes I understand that is a lower COG)

Anyway common consensus is to upgrade to E tires, which I will do

The factory recommends air bags or springs as well. For now, I'd like to stay away from air bags simply for possible reliability and consistency issues.

So I've been looking at springs. Seems many good choices, and Hellwig looks to come up a lot. My truck has a total payload of 1700# so I'll be pushing that most likely. Looks like even the budget springs should cover that. I've been looking at the pro series helper springs. Seems like I can't go wrong with this? Is it possibly to much spring for this light load? Progressive design should allow for a comfortable ride still, correct?

BTW I'm planning on leaving the camper on all the time, so adjust-ability isn't much of an issue. I suppose I'm just asking to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before ordering. Thanks for any thoughts

#2 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:57 PM

First welcome to the club! Yes you will need some rear suspension upgrades. Bags pro’s: adjustability customize the trucks stance and improve handling. Cons: THEY LEAK the rubber quality in recent years poor at best, they do effect the overall ride without the camper, warranty will not cover labor to replace defective bags. I have had both bags and now Hellwig 2500lb helpers on my F-150 with a Grandby. Since you will most likely be near max payload and plan on a full time load, I would lean towards a spring upgrade. FWC can give you the best choices, also contact Hellwig and they can recommendations on their products. The Hellwig helper options are a easy DIY project and not terribly expensive. Another option have a local spring shop do a custom spring pack. I currently have about 6000 miles on them great product. 4000 miles with a bass boat in tow also and again very happy. 
Wayne

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:19 PM

I had helper springs on a Tundra but if i had to do it again would go with a full spring pack. Since your truck was also avail. in a 2500 series, you might want to check to see if a used pair of springs from a 2500 will fit without any mods. You might even be able to install springs complete with axle/differential if you want beefier bearings and higher(numerically) rear gear.

#4 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

I have had both bags and now Hellwig 2500lb helpers on my F-150 with a Grandby......... I currently have about 6000 miles on them great product. 4000 miles with a bass boat in tow also and again very happy. 
Wayne

Sounds like you're happy with the Hellwigs (that's good) I don't see you mention any downside to them, so I take it you would do the same again. Part of my thought is at about $300 and an easy install/removal it's not much commitment if I decide on something else later. Thanks for your thoughts.

I had helper springs on a Tundra but if i had to do it again would go with a full spring pack.

Being I have zero experience with this at all, I have to ask what advantage is there to replacing the spring pack? (as opposed to adding a helper spring). If the helper spring is correct shouldn't it work progressively? Or is that just theory and not real world experience?

#5 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like you're happy with the Hellwigs (that's good) I don't see you mention any downside to them, so I take it you would do the same again. Part of my thought is at about $300 and an easy install/removal it's not much commitment if I decide on something else later. Thanks for your thoughts.

Being I have zero experience with this at all, I have to ask what advantage is there to replacing the spring pack? (as opposed to adding a helper spring). If the helper spring is correct shouldn't it work progressively? Or is that just theory and not real world experience?

The only down side i see is the limited adjustability to raise the rear a bit higher if desired. They do have some adjustability depending how much you adjust the pre load on the U bolts. In my case the Hellwig raised the rear 1-1/4” with the Grandby on. This leveled the truck camper nicely. I have no worries of bags leaking and they really improved all aspects of the rear suspension. If you keep your set up on the lite side you will be fine with the Hellwig product. Give Kevin a call at Hellwig he will be glad to answer and technical questions you may have. 

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

I have an '08 Silverado 1500 with a Raven Shell and 140k miles. We drive it on road, on fire roads and on occasional tight, rutted two track. It has Hellwigs Helpers and no bags. It isn't squatty at all. It drives well both on road and off. If I had to do it over, I'd stick with the helper leaf. I like the effective simplicity. It's not as elegant as a fully functioning bag, but I'm always thinking what's the worst case when something fails. The leaf just won't. Just replaced the E rated Coopers with E rated Wildpeaks (heavily conflicted, both are great tires). Next week it's going in for Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners as it's still on its original shocks. Have fun!

#7 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:09 AM

I have an '08 Silverado 1500 with a Raven Shell and 140k miles.......

Thanks for the reply , sounds like we are in a similar situation

I just ordered the Hellwig springs and will probably install in the next few weeks. My camper isn't ready until December anyway, so no huge hurry.

Curious if you ran your camper before the E rated tires? I'm currently running Duratracs and am planning to get a set that are E rated, but wondering if I should try the camper first with what I have now. Otherwise I'll never know how much improvement they really made

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the reply , sounds like we are in a similar situation

I just ordered the Hellwig springs and will probably install in the next few weeks. My camper isn't ready until December anyway, so no huge hurry.

Curious if you ran your camper before the E rated tires? I'm currently running Duratracs and am planning to get a set that are E rated, but wondering if I should try the camper first with what I have now. Otherwise I'll never know how much improvement they really made

I bought it as a unit from the previous owner. The camper is an’18 and it hasn’t been off since it was installed. It had E rated Coopers, but the tread didn’t have much life left. If we only drove on road we would have held off until next year. We wanted deeper tread for off pavement and snow. The difference was immediate probably from the tread depth more than the change from AT3s to Wildpeaks.

Since I haven’t run this rig without Es so I’m not much help. I’d just figure out if your current tires are rated to handle the new total load and assess whether or not they have the tread give you the grip to safely do what you want to do.

#9 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:14 AM

I bought it as a unit from the previous owner. The camper is an’18 and it hasn’t been off since it was installed. It had E rated Coopers, but the tread didn’t have much life left. If we only drove on road we would have held off until next year. We wanted deeper tread for off pavement and snow. The difference was immediate probably from the tread depth more than the change from AT3s to Wildpeaks.

Since I haven’t run this rig without Es so I’m not much help. I’d just figure out if your current tires are rated to handle the new total load and assess whether or not they have the tread give you the grip to safely do what you want to do.

Great discussion on this suspension modifications and tire choice. I will add that I had BFG/E-AT’s on my last F-150 very good tires they did stiffing the road ride considerably. Since I don’t do much off road camping they probably were over kill D’s would be my choice now. My Current F-150 with the HDP package came with C rated tires which covers the payload requirements. They handle fine for road use even towing my Ranger bass boat at 3500 lbs and the Grandby. I will replace them with D rated tires at the appropriate time. I would go with E rated if I did stone trails. Also the MPG fell off 1 MPG with the E rated tires. Enjoy your new camper!

Wayne

#10 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:58 AM

Great discussion on this suspension modifications and tire choice. I will add that I had BFG/E-AT’s on my last F-150 very good tires they did stiffing the road ride considerably. Since I don’t do much off road camping they probably were over kill D’s would be my choice now. My Current F-150 with the HDP package came with C rated tires which covers the payload requirements. They handle fine for road use even towing my Ranger bass boat at 3500 lbs and the Grandby. I will replace them with D rated tires at the appropriate time. I would go with E rated if I did stone trails. Also the MPG fell off 1 MPG with the E rated tires. Enjoy your new camper!

Wayne

I'd agree...tire choice depends on where you'll take it. E isn't the best choice if you don't need E. There are plenty of trucks driving around that are grossly over spec'd and grossly under spec'd as far as suspension and tires go. We chose E's to get to places like our avatar shows. It's up a high alpine, rutted two track that has two ripped off Jeep grills at the entry of the "road"!  :lol:

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users