16 replies to this topic

#11 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:44 AM

. Since I don’t do much off road camping they probably were over kill D’s would be my choice now.

I'd agree...tire choice depends on where you'll take it. E isn't the best choice if you don't need E. . We chose E's to get to places like our avatar shows.

Oh boy, more food for thought :)

My current Duratrac are SL  and a set of four puts me at 2500# over the trucks  limit (which I will be near with camper)

I suppose I really don't want to much stiffness, since I will be in the proper range is it a matter of simply deciding if I'm ok with the handling when on road?

As for off road I have zero aspirations of 4WD rock crawling and will mostly be on dirt roads and simple two track, but we all know those can turn into rocky sections really quick. Am I foolish for taking a 4 ply tire in those conditions?

Sorry for the noob like questions, but up until a year or so ago the only thing I used a truck for was transporting motorcycle to places I would enjoy off roading :) Campers , and heavier loads are all new to me

#12 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

Oh boy, more food for thought :)

My current Duratrac are SL  and a set of four puts me at 2500# over the trucks  limit (which I will be near with camper)

I suppose I really don't want to much stiffness, since I will be in the proper range is it a matter of simply deciding if I'm ok with the handling when on road?

As for off road I have zero aspirations of 4WD rock crawling and will mostly be on dirt roads and simple two track, but we all know those can turn into rocky sections really quick. Am I foolish for taking a 4 ply tire in those conditions?

Sorry for the noob like questions, but up until a year or so ago the only thing I used a truck for was transporting motorcycle to places I would enjoy off roading :) Campers , and heavier loads are all new to me

We don't do any crazy technical Rubicon type stuff, just rutted, stony two track at the worst. The E rating and the specific tire choice (Falken Wildpeak AT3W) give me confidence that the sidewalls won't rip and the weight will never approach the maximum they are rated for. They ride surprisingly nicely. 

#13 garyoNC

garyoNC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:44 PM

Question about the Hellwigs, I have a Silverado and when I replace the shocks do I get a longer shock? In other words do the Hellwigs rise the rear any? I was looking at SS A5 and was told they will raise the rear about 1- 1 1/4 inches. Anybody know?

Thanks,

Gary

#14 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:08 PM

Question about the Hellwigs, I have a Silverado and when I replace the shocks do I get a longer shock? In other words do the Hellwigs rise the rear any? I was looking at SS A5 and was told they will raise the rear about 1- 1 1/4 inches. Anybody know?

Thanks,

Gary

The previous owner put the Hellwigs on mine. I don't *think* you need to do anything other than order the OEM shock size. I'm certain that they didn't make adjustments when they ordered my Bilsteins. They're not in yet, so fingers crossed that they fit! 

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:58 PM

it is my understanding that you are not putting in a "Lift Kit" as such, just increasing the spring capacity which results in a lift (until you put the load into it).  So, normal length shocks I would think.

That said, ideally the shocks would be custom and valved for the anticipated load. Most shocks are valved for how they expect the vehicle to be driven... emtpy.  And with more spring and more load a stock shock can't really dampen the dynamic motions as well as it could.

#16 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:04 AM

I have an '08 Silverado 1500 with a Raven Shell and 140k miles. We drive it on road, on fire roads and on occasional tight, rutted two track. It has Hellwigs Helpers and no bags. It isn't squatty at all. It drives well both on road and off. If I had to do it over, I'd stick with the helper leaf. I like the effective simplicity. It's not as elegant as a fully functioning bag, but I'm always thinking what's the worst case when something fails. The leaf just won't. Just replaced the E rated Coopers with E rated Wildpeaks (heavily conflicted, both are great tires). Next week it's going in for Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners as it's still on its original shocks. Have fun!

any feedback on the bilstein upgrade?

thx

Oregon

#17 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:04 AM

any feedback on the bilstein upgrade?

thx

Sorry about the late reply. Just got back from Steens and Hart Mountain. They are a significant upgrade over the 140k stockers...SIGNIFICANT. That said, there might be better, but I’m very happy with these on hard ruts and washerboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users