Photo
- - - - -

F250 as a F350 alternative for moderate camper.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Newbflat

Newbflat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hello to all here, first post so be gentle. 

I’m in a bit of a time crunch and don’t have much time to research so I will ask a question that I suspect I could dig up with some searching but will cut to the chase. 

I’m about to get an Alaskan camper, an 8’ or 8.5 cab over.  But I need a truck for it. What I would like is an F-350 extra cab 4x4.  My problem is finding one I can afford and not a crew cab (it’s like 30 to one crew vs. extra).  I’m looking at older 7.3 diesel...OBS and SD’s. 

My problem is that their are a LOT more F250 extra cab’s with 7.3’s to chose from than F350’s.  An Alaskan Camper 8’ wet and loaded with food and crap will about max out an F350 payload... can I use an F250?

I realize that F250s are the same truck as F350’s except for the springs, and after upgrading the springs it is eventually the same truck with the same weight capacity. 

The only thing that will be different is what the GVWR sticker says on the door. 

So at least buy my understanding in terms of safety, feel, ride and capability there should be no difference between the upgraded F250 and F350....  Anyone disagree here?

So the only thing I’m risking is getting sighted for being over weight, which is unlikely at best in the lower 48 and possible in Canada.  I might get a fine if I’m on my way from the states to Alaska and bay a fine. 

The Alaskan camper 8’, wet with lots of crap for an extended trip I’m guessing will come in at 3000lbs or so, maybe a a couple hundred more. 

So does anyone see an issue with this logic?  Still looking for a f350 but if I can’t find what I’m looking for, get an F250, upgrade the springs and call it good knowing I could get dinged but it’s unlikely. 

Thoughts? 

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:04 AM

Your thinking is sound, and your choice of truck is classic!  From a safety perspective, I'd want to make sure the brakes were as good as can be as well.  Are those the same F250/350?  Are both full floating axles (that's more of a durability question).  

Chances of being sited for being overweight are minimal in Canada.  I see way to many F150/1500 trucks carrying full slide out equipped campers that I KNOW are overweight to think that anyone is checking.  Border patrol might be fussier, but I doubt it.

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:17 AM

Oh, and welcome to the cult... we're generally a friendly lot  :rolleyes:

https://www.kijiji.c...uced/1513786696

https://www.kijiji.c...0-lariat/m30765

https://www.kijiji.c...ruck/1521136075

#4 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:59 AM

I don't know much about Fords, but a concern for me would be that in the event of an accident, if the truck was found to be (technically) significantly overloaded, how that could be used against me liability wise.

Obviously many don't worry about that, but that's the way my brain works.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#5 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Welcome. This is a great group to learn from.

i am a Ford guy, my opinion is this.

F350s are not that much more expensive than a F250, offer more payload generally and have a higher re-sell often.

That is why i switched. These things( campers) can get heavy quickly. My thoughts have always been better safe then sorry.

But, to be honest, if people are careful about weight they will be ok most of the time. 

Can be a tough call, i wish you good luck and happy travels.

i hear you on finding the truck you want, i looked all over for the  one i want, still looking.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:47 PM

First, Welcome to Wander the West!

My first camper was a very heavy hard side on a F250, 7.3 diesel.  I added Firestone Ride Rite airbags and used it for 16 years.  My belief is you’ll be fine with an Alaskan.  You may need the bags and a sway bar, but the truck should handle it nicely.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Newbflat

Newbflat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

I’m more than happy getting an F-350 extra cab, 7.3. The issue is finding one. It’s like 30 crew cab for every extra cab. Then find one extra cab without 250k on it.  Waaaay easer to find an F250 extra cab with low miles. 

Im really looking for a 7.3 as I plan on traveling in Mexico/ Central America and also want to rum biodiesel when In the states. 

Edited by Newbflat, 08 September 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#8 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

Pre super duty Fords have a different style of front axle in the f250, not just different springs. 

#9 Newbflat

Newbflat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:51 AM

Pre super duty Fords have a different style of front axle in the f250, not just different springs. 

Are you saying OBS F250’ and F350’s have different front ends? What’s different?

#10 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:45 AM

I think you’ll regret purchasing a truck that isn’t really adequate for your needs. There’s a reason one is a half ton and the other a one ton. I certainly wouldn’t listen a group of non-automotive engineers telling you it’s OK. Be patient and buy the truck that REALLY meets your needs. Just so you know I’m talking from experience, I made this mistake and ended up buying another truck three years later. 

Unless your a Ford engineer do you really know the structural differences between these trucks?

Good luck

Edited by BrianG, 14 September 2020 - 05:10 AM.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users